Converted bus route could help struggling commuters in Rosedale

GojiMet86

1. Two separate points, but in my mind it just amazes me how desperate people are to save a buck or two.  There is no way in hell I'd ride with some unlicensed guy (usually the case with those dollar vans from what I recall hearing) driving like a maniac.  If you're injured, who are you going to sue? At least with the (MTA) you can be compensated if you're injured and it's their fault.

2.  As for the vans, yes, this I know, but what I was wondering was why the bus was re-routed in the first place...

The vans were, as initially created, a substitute for overcrowded bus services that weren't coming frequently enough. Usually people take vans only if they're doing strictly local travel, or if there's not enough service (Flatbush, SE Queens), or no service provided at all (Chinatown dollar vans, which are basically cheaper express buses). If you're going to the subway you won't come out on top, since the bus gives you the free transfer and the van doesn't.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vans were, as initially created, a substitute for overcrowded bus services that weren't coming frequently enough. Usually people take vans only if they're doing strictly local travel, or if there's not enough service (Flatbush, SE Queens), or no service provided at all (Chinatown dollar vans, which are basically cheaper express buses). If you're going to the subway you won't come out on top, since the bus gives you the free transfer and the van doesn't.

You could still save though if you have an unlimited pass...

1. Two separate points, but in my mind it just amazes me how desperate people are to save a buck or two.  There is no way in hell I'd ride with some unlicensed guy (usually the case with those dollar vans from what I recall hearing) driving like a maniac.  If you're injured, who are you going to sue? At least with the (MTA) you can be compensated if you're injured and it's their fault.

2.  As for the vans, yes, this I know, but what I was wondering was why the bus was re-routed in the first place...

Riders also take the vans because they're more frequent, they're faster and they can detour if there is a lot of traffic. Not to mention that they run in areas where residents from other countries are used to them.

More frequent than the local buses?? That's crazy...

It does in my mind because that means that the local buses should be more frequent.

Lol @ this... You just don't think they should exist.

Anyway, What is seldom brought up is that, dollar cab/van services gives the MTA a built in excuse to not increase local bus service (on the bus routes that dollar vans also run along [for the most part])..... Of course, the MTA would never admit that....

Lol @ this... You just don't think they should exist.

Anyway, What is seldom brought up is that, dollar cab/van services gives the MTA a built in excuse to not increase local bus service (on the bus routes that dollar vans also run along [for the most part])..... Of course, the MTA would never admit that....

Hence the failed attempts to put vans on the discontinued Q74 and 79 routes...

The plan is in the July 2014 meeting materials. Q111 unchanged, Q113 Local renamed Q114 LTD and makes LTD stops through Rosedale, Q113 LTD unchanged.

You have a link to it? That still doesn't make any damn sense...

You have a link to it? That still doesn't make any damn sense...

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/140728_0930_transit-bus.pdf

pages 143-147

I was in the middle of reading the thing when the new post notification popped up for this forum (which was your reply here)...

This Q114 is a Q113 local that still makes local stops south of Brookville -But doesn't make as many stops along 147th, and runs LTD along Brewer..... It's almost like the old Q113 LTD (before it ran along rockaway blvd), except it runs local south of Brookville....

They're restoring LTD service that was taken away from that area (that one stop on Brookville, and the few stops along 147th) with the diverting of the Q113 LTD along Rockaway Blvd....

That's what I get from this, so far.....

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/140728_0930_transit-bus.pdf

pages 143-147

I was in the middle of reading the thing when the new post notification popped up for this forum (which was your reply here)...

This Q114 is a Q113 local that doesn't make as many stops along 147th, but runs LTD along Brewer.....

They're restoring LTD service that was taken away from that area with the diverting of the Q113 LTD along Rockaway Blvd....

That's what I get from this, so far.....

So they're creating a route just for the loss of 2 LTD stops? (Springfield and Brookville) Makes some kind of sense

So they're creating a route just for the loss of 2 LTD stops? (Springfield and Brookville) Makes some kind of sense

Bingo....

Come to think of it, getting to the old Q113 LTD was a bit of a hassle for those particular folks.... Which was why they (kept) bombarding Q111's (with good reason)....

Bingo....

Come to think of it, getting to the old Q113 LTD was a bit of a hassle for those particular folks.... Which was why they (kept) bombarding Q111's (with good reason)....

I gotta try this out in fall...

So basically, this new Q114 is the old Q113 LTD, except it makes all local stops south of 147th Avenue and makes only two stops on 147th Avenue. 

It makes sense, I guess.

So basically, this new Q114 is the old Q113 LTD, except it makes all local stops south of 147th Avenue and makes only two stops on 147th Avenue.

It makes sense, I guess.

Yeah, minus the Nassau Expressway part...

The plan is in the July 2014 meeting materials. Q111 unchanged, Q113 Local renamed Q114 LTD and makes LTD stops through Rosedale, Q113 LTD unchanged.

Exactly what I was thinking.

To me, it seems like it's renaming the current Q113 Local and making it a Limited ion Guy R Brewer and 147th Avenue, like it's counterpart. That's what I got out of it.

Just what I thought the MTA was gonna do... However I thought it would've been best to make the Q111 local to Far Rock along the current Q113 Local. The Q114 LTD (local east of Brookville) to Rosedale (Q111 current Routing). I mean if the whole point of doing this was to give the residence of "ROSEDALE" faster LTD service. 

Just what I thought the MTA was gonna do... However I thought it would've been best to make the Q111 local to Far Rock along the current Q113 Local. The Q114 LTD (local east of Brookville) to Rosedale (Q111 current Routing). I mean if the whole point of doing this was to give the residence of "ROSEDALE" faster LTD service. 

The article also mentioned Far Rockaway.

Come to think of it, both of those plans would be cost neutral...

Pretty much what I proposed in the Queens Bus Proposal thread. All Q113 service limited, and the Q111 is the local service. I probably would have called the current Q113LTD the Q114. Rename the Q113LCL the Q113LTD.

Another reason why the Q114 should've been sent to Rosedale and the Q111 local to Far Rock... Is the people in Far Rock for the 1st few weeks are going to be confused as hell seeing "Q114 LTD". To them they're going to think the Q114 is the same routing as Q113 LTD and be just as Fast to/from Far Rock the Q113 when the Q113 will still be the faster "LTD".

By sending the Q114 LTD to Rosedale and having Q111's replace the Q113 local, you mitigate this confusion because its still a Local vs. LTD scenario for Far Rock, not an LTD vs. a faster LTD.   

Another reason why the Q114 should've been sent to Rosedale and the Q111 local to Far Rock... Is the people in Far Rock for the 1st few weeks are going to be confused as hell seeing "Q114 LTD". To them they're going to think the Q114 is the same routing as Q113 LTD and be just as Fast to/from Far Rock the Q113 when the Q113 will still be the faster "LTD".

By sending the Q114 LTD to Rosedale and having Q111's replace the Q113 local, you mitigate this confusion because its still a Local vs. LTD scenario for Far Rock, not an LTD vs. a faster LTD.

I have a feeling that might happen eventually...

Would revamping the Q85 service to Rosedale help riders?

Add a new LTD stop at Farmers/Bedell because thats currently where all the non-GA locals start/end but in an ideal scenario add a 2nd LTD stop at Springfield/141 Av (with the locals turning there or at the LIRR station). If the LTDs have to make all stops E of Baisley at least extend some of the PM LTDs that end at Farmers to Rosedale-243 because 15-30 min rush hour headways is insane. As for service south of 147 Av, if the residents want it, it could be sent down Huxley to the X63 terminal.

I was thinking the same thing. Extend the limited stops on the 85.....

1.Farmers-Bedell

2. Farmers-140

3. 141-Springfield

4. Sunrise Hwy-LIRR

All stops to 147th Ave-243rd Street.....

Archived