MTA's On-board Audio/Visual Test & Evaluation

East New York

After a final review, it was determined that Vianova will install its Digital Information Screens on 48 Low Floor 60-foot Nova Bus LFS Articulated buses operating on the M15 route, Strategic will install its Digital Information Screens on 48 Low Floor 40-foot New Flyer Diesel XD40 buses operating on the B46 route, and Clever will install its Digital Information Screens on 35 Low Floor 40-foot Orion VII Hybrid buses operating on the S79 route for a total of 131 Digital Information Screen systems.[/size][/font][/color]

So yeah, SBS seems like the place to start. Any info on when the screens will start appearing on these routes?

The wining bidders will officially be notified tomorrow, and a delivery schedule will be set up for each vender separately. Since the systems and components from each company will be different, and the other equipment has to be installed and wired into the buses, depots, and whatever temporary command center the MTA will use, it's hard to say what a schedule will be, and each manufacturer will have to set one with the TA.  Eventually, Remote Operations of the systems are supposed to be carried out at the All-New Bus Command Center at East New York.

I would expect to see the systems pop up within the next 45-90 days. All the buses will have to be retrofitted, which should not take too long after the first systems have been installed on a bus from each manufacturer. 

Artics get 3 screens, and 40 footers get 2.

The wining bidders will officially be notified tomorrow, and a delivery schedule will be set up for each vender separately. Since the systems and components from each company will be different, and the other equipment has to be installed and wired into the buses, depots, and whatever temporary command center the MTA will use, it's hard to say what a schedule will be, and each manufacturer will have to set one with the TA.  Eventually, Remote Operations of the systems are supposed to be carried out at the All-New Bus Command Center at East New York.

I would expect to see the systems pop up within the next 45-90 days. All the buses will have to be retrofitted, which should not take too long after the first systems have been installed on a bus from each manufacturer. 

Artics get 3 screens, and 40 footers get 2.

Are these like FIND displays on R160's or the next stop signs on NTTs?

• 4 months later...

7315 (on the B46SBS) has been fitted with LCD screens. I think 4268 (S79 SBS) also has them too.

7315 also has automated announcements. Another member has posted video in the Bus Photos and Videos subforum.

If I remember correctly, 1240 (M15 SBS) has them installed too. It might be a different bus, but I'm hoping my memory is right. 

Wait a second, Is Clever also doing those prototype screens on the R160?

I saw this rendering in the link...

30887414772_d459399424_b.jpg

Huh i haven't the faintest clue. It's possible it could be a CD CleverVision or it might be from another vendor. Perhaps we may even see them on the future R211s and the R179s if they get retrofitted

MTA has modified the contracts for the new digital information screens. The test program will expand to all 5 boroughs, and screens will also be installed in 44 buses for the Q44+, and a fleet of NG,s that will run exclusively on the Bx30.

Because of pricing points and current progress, MTA has decided to award these modified contracts to Vianova for the Q44, and Clever Devices for the Bx30. Expect to see them popping up within the next week or two.

MTA has modified the contracts for the new digital information screens. The test program will expand to all 5 boroughs, and screens will also be installed in 44 buses for the Q44+, and a fleet of NG,s that will run exclusively on the Bx30.

Because of pricing points and current progress, MTA has decided to award these modified contracts to Vianova for the Q44, and Clever Devices for the Bx30. Expect to see them popping up within the next week or two.

The ones that are running on the B46SBS with 7315, 7342, and 1 more bus out of FB. Are those with Clear Devices or Vianova?

Lmao why the Bx30 of all routes? One would think that they'd go with the Bx12 SBS or Bx41 SBS... Is there a particular reason they chose the Bx30?

Lmao why the Bx30 of all routes? One would think that they'd go with the Bx12 SBS or Bx41 SBS... Is there a particular reason they chose the Bx30?

This seems to be how the MTA wants it:

Vianova- LFSA [M15-SBS, Q44-SBS]

Strategic Mapping- XD40 [b46-SBS]

Clever Devices- NG [s79-SBS, Bx30]

So I'm guessing the reason why they didn't put it on the Bx12-SBS or Bx41-SBS is because they didn't want to test Vianova three times. I'm guessing they probably put it on the Bx30 because they had no other option but to choose NGs (no XD40s in the Bronx). This is just my guess though, it could be for a completely different reason. 

I'm guessing they probably put it on the Bx30 because they had no other option but to choose NGs (no XD40s in the Bronx). This is just my guess though, it could be for a completely different reason.

I'm guessing that since all of the screens thus far were installed on buses assigned to SBS duty, the Bx30 may see the screens for local bus stop testing. Perhaps it may announce all stops or just major stops+transfers (similar to how the Clever Devices were set up in the last LI Bus years)

Wait, will 5987 get them too or just the LFSAs? Also, will the new XD60s that go to Stengal get them too>

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have an idea which vendor the screens on Spring Creek C40LF 572 is from?

From the looks of it, it might be from Clever Devices despite the ultra-widescreen monitor thats reminiscent of the Vianova displays being demoed. Plus the pre-recorded CleverIVN announcements (e.g. Please Exit Through the Rear Doors) haven't been replaced by a robotic-TTS voice like the Vianova installations.

• 1 month later...

While I'm eager to see this system on the busses, wouldn't stop announcements get annoying when they're every 2-3 blocks?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nope. Ridden on buses with that tech in both DC and Paris. Saw videos with Londons buses as well.

Whether or not it's "annoying" should be the last of your worries as this is a system we should have been using a long time ago.

Whether or not it's "annoying" should be the last of your worries as this is a system we should have been using a long time ago.

No disagreement there. If we had to list all the things the MTA should have been doing a long time ago we could be here all week.

• 1 month later...

Ok I say its time we start talking about this as all the screens have been in use for some time.

There are four types of screens being evaluated (as far as I know)...the ones on the...

B46 SBS-New Flyer XD40

M15SBS/Q44SBS-NovaBus LFSA

S79SBS/Bx30-Orion VII NG

B103- New Flyer C40LF (#572)

Which ones do you like the best?

Which performs the most efficient?

Which perform the least?

Whats more aesthetically pleasing and easier to understand?

I personally like the ones on the M15-SBS and Q44-SBS buses. They have a double screen, the left for next stop info and the right for MTA advertisements. It has pretty clear announcements that don't seem too robotic. It announces the next stop and announces when approaching said stop. The "please exit...rear door" announcement is synced in with the screens too. These should be the final option.

For a video of how they work...

Heres 1253 on the M15-SBS (credit for his video)

https://youtu.be/wA5Vt3zxV40

Heres 5917 on the Q44-SBS (credit for his video)

https://youtu.be/CvC_8527Kdk

I also like the ones on that one C40LF (#572).

Has a double screen as well, and doesn't glitch that much. I just don't like the tiny screen behind the GPS box, there should be two screens on the ceiling (front and middle both centered) similar to the S79-SBS setup.

Heres 572 on the B103 (credit for his video)

https://youtu.be/1fYIj9bl1Fc

The ones on the S79 are different. Only has one screen, plays advertisements and next stop info back and forth. It glitches ridiculously though, throughout one trip, it might glitch 15-20 times. If someone pulls the stop cord, it will interfere with the announcements and might not even say it.

Heres 4257 on the S79-SBS (credit for his video)

https://youtu.be/JOFYXtUJ5zs

The ones on the B46 SBS, I've seen it work maybe one time. 90% of the time, its either glitching by not announcing transfers, not making announcements period, displaying different colors of the rainbow on the entire screen, or out of service overall.

Here 7315 on the B46-SBS (credit for his video)

https://youtu.be/a9Kp-zKt7dE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Q44 ones are either glitching or they're purposely turning them off. There's also ones on the Orion VII NG Bx30 as well. It happens more often now though.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I would assume they're turning them off since they have the XD60s, I've seen one screen in use on the M79-SBS, from one of the ex Q44 buses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived