Amtrak train leaves Penn Station for Washington, D.C., without its passengers

Harry

post-5097-0-22429900-1407070677_thumb.jpg
An Amtrak train bound for Washington pulled away from Penn Station on Saturday without some pretty important cargo: its passengers. Scores of travelers were stranded after the Acela Express 2253 took off from one platform about 3 p.m. — while they were waiting at another and unaware the train was leaving them behind. Several minutes passed before the passengers even got wind of what had happened, one told the Daily News. “They literally sent us to the wrong platform, and the conductor took off without any passengers,” said Damien Miano, 60, of Chelsea. “The right hand didn’t know what the left hand was doing. It was just so bizarre.”

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-22429900-1407070677_thumb.jpg

Hahaha! I'd be incredibly pissed if I was on that train, but that is pretty funny

You wouldn't be pissed. You would be laughing at the other passengers outside because you somehow, despite not being able to follow (wrong) directions, managed to get on the right train (which was on the wrong track).

a red-faced Amtrak manager explained what happened and passed out bags of Doritos.

The passed-over passengers were shepherded into a lounge and plied with pizza.

I wonder if they had to show tickets to get the Doritos and pizza. I would've shamelessly hung out for a free meal. :D

there was few things wrong with this picture. A) Shouldnt the train be in the station before the passenger go downstair? B) how dumb the conductors be when almost every stops along the line you will receive a passengers or so. Isn't that why it call timetable? C) If the passengers waited for more then x amount of time shouldn't they head up and find someone quick? D) Shouldn't the operator noticed anything unusual by looking thru the mirror? E) Shouldn't other passengers on the train should alert the conductor why was no one was boarding at the most busiest stop? F) How far did the train go before unnoticed? If you put all these question in place you can figure the problem here . The word is QUESTION AND ANSWER WITH COMMUNICATION

You wouldn't be pissed. You would be laughing at the other passengers outside because you somehow, despite not being able to follow (wrong) directions, managed to get on the right train (which was on the wrong track).I wonder if they had to show tickets to get the Doritos and pizza. I would've shamelessly hung out for a free meal. :D

LOL. What I meant to write was that if I had been one of the passengers that missed the train, I'd be pissed.

there was few things wrong with this picture. A) Shouldnt the train be in the station before the passenger go downstair? B) how dumb the conductors be when almost every stops along the line you will receive a passengers or so. Isn't that why it call timetable? C) If the passengers waited for more then x amount of time shouldn't they head up and find someone quick? D) Shouldn't the operator noticed anything unusual by looking thru the mirror? E) Shouldn't other passengers on the train should alert the conductor why was no one was boarding at the most busiest stop? F) How far did the train go before unnoticed? If you put all these question in place you can figure the problem here . The word is QUESTION AND ANSWER WITH COMMUNICATION

Regarding parts A and C, having run the amtrak penn station rat race a number of times, it's not unusual for them to announce a track, then change it, and still give people about 2 minutes to get onto the train before departing. That station is a real mess sometimes. I'm honestly surprised this type of thing doesn't happen more often.

That's happened to me with New Jersey Transit at least a half dozen times of riding their trains over 30 years.  I know about track changes it happens, but one time they mixed up two Trenton trains on tracks 11 & 13 during the rush hour.  The difference in the trains were that they left minutes apart and made different stops.  Passengers didn't know of the problem until a conductor made his customary announcement of what train this was.  Some of us got up and we told him this was the 5:11 according to the train board and PA announcement upstairs and not the 5:13.  He said "no way" it was the other way.  Now he hears other people agreeing with me so he announces there must have been as error on the board and this was the 5:13 and your 5:11 is on the other track, doesn't even radio a dispatcher to say there is a problem.  Now there is chaos as people are trying to get the correct track during rush hour.  The staircases for these two tracks are not side by side.  Now I get to an overflowing 5:11 and can't fit on.  Being upset I tell a conductor (one that I knew) who apologizes.  Why didn't someone call a dispatcher and just change the crews and not mix-up a thousand passengers on each train.  By now they are making announcements NJT and AMTRAK saying it was each others fault.  One train has left and dispatch told the crew on the 5:13 to go local to Trenton so all of us could try to get back on that train and eventually got to my stop about 40 minutes late.  I carry a scanner so I can privately listen in to the occasional chaos and it took way too long for anyone to call supervision at least by radio.

Archived