Woman sues MTA over train accident that disfigured her leg

R188 7857

post-6570-0-60417600-1407608647_thumb.jpg
A Brooklyn woman who fell under a train and lived to joke about it in her standup comedy routine is suing the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, blaming the agency for the accident that disfigured her leg. Liza Dye, 25, says she fainted last February when she fell under a B train at the Broadway-Lafayette stop. She survived because she fell between the tracks, but her lower left leg was mangled when the first car ran over her. Dye made headlines when she went on social media to talk about her experience from her hospital bed. Her leg, the suit said, is not functioning properly after nine operations. But Dye subsequently used the accident — and her three months in Bellevue — as fodder for her comedy routines.

Read More: Source

post-6570-0-60417600-1407608647_thumb.jpg

The description isn't clear: did falling onto the tracks cause her to faint or did her fainting cause her to fall onto the tracks? Either way, she should have listened to that announcer on the countdown clocks and "please stand back".

The Broadway-Lafayette Station on the IND platform doesn't have any countdown clocks (which doesn't mean she still shouldn't step back). 

With all this suing the MTA, I'm surprised our fares aren't $5 a ride now...

I'm sure there's a contingency in the budget for frivolous lawsuits.

Concerning this case, it's been reported that she was distracted by her cell phone and was standing at the edge of the platform. If this is the case, then obviously she doesn't deserve a dime for not paying attention. These lawsuits regarding hit by trains always baffles me. The train's on a fixed track. It can't swerve around you. Unless someone pushed you, you slipped on the platform because of wet/icy conditions or something that is clearly the fault of the subway system, how do you go about suing for negligence? Of course, I probably should be asking why these cases are never thrown out but that's another issue for another day.

I'm sure there's a contingency in the budget for frivolous lawsuits.

Concerning this case, it's been reported that she was distracted by her cell phone and was standing at the edge of the platform. If this is the case, then obviously she doesn't deserve a dime for not paying attention. These lawsuits regarding hit by trains always baffles me. The train's on a fixed track. It can't swerve around you. Unless someone pushed you, you slipped on the platform because of wet/icy conditions or something that is clearly the fault of the subway system, how do you go about suing for negligence? Of course, I probably should be asking why these cases are never thrown out but that's another issue for another day.

Believe it or not LOTS of these cases are thrown out....

Most of them are settled way before they even get to court (usually its the lawyers who win out).

MTA has a army of lawyers and unless you catch them Dead Wrong good luck cause they will drag this out for years.

The MTA should enact a rule making it a violation to go within 2 feet of the platform edge except when the train is stopped and it's time to board or disembark. The fine for violating should be $0. The fine isn't the point. 

Then lawsuits like this would be automatically thrown out, as the only reason for the incident is the fact that they broke the rules  :mellow:

Archived