M.C. Hale Depot Discussion

East New York

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned before, if Quill does get the M60 it will be for political reasons. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that the average rider or fan doesn't realize. 126th street has always been the only NYCTA depot in Manhattan. Quill is Manhattan Division Headquarters, which is a MaBSTOA depot, yet has the most pull in the city next to East New York. 

As with all things, we have to wait and see. It should be going to Tuskegee, but if politics get involved, it will definitely go to Quill.

As mentioned before, if Quill does get the M60 it will be for political reasons. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that the average rider or fan doesn't realize. 126th street has always been the only NYCTA depot in Manhattan. Quill is Manhattan Division Headquarters, which is a MaBSTOA depot, yet has the most pull in the city next to East New York. 

As with all things, we have to wait and see. It should be going to Tuskegee, but if politics get involved, it will definitely go to Quill.

I can see the M60 at Quill.. Not a Bad Deadhead riding up the West Side Highway!! The M98 deadheads up and down it! so why not!

Quick question....

Why does ENY have so much pull?

All I know about over there is that Command is located over there .

ENY serves as Surface Transit Headquarters for MTA. They are charge of all Bus Operations for NYCT and MTAB. It's also a CFM and base shop, a training facility, a bus engineering facility, and has some DOB offices in it. The main engineering department and offices have been relocated to Grand Avenue. As seen with 7090, it also can serve as a registration and acceptance facility for new buses, which is usually done at Zerega 99.9% of the time.

Yes, Command is located there as well.

if u remenber the m60 was a oa route prior to the closure of mch. it had been swap fo the m66.

why don't they just convert 100th st/ta to ta and just swap the the m60 and m31 for the m86 and 79 .

It's not really hard to swap routes between OA and TA depots, but it's not as seamless as  TA/TA or OA/OA swap.

They don't have to convert the depot to do a swap, but it's not that simple either. M31, and M60 are at 126, M79 is Quill, and M86 is 100. Therefore you cant do the swap the way you are mentioning.

I can see the M60 at Quill.. Not a Bad Deadhead riding up the West Side Highway!! The M98 deadheads up and down it! so why not!

Very true. However logistically, it doesn't make any sense. It's more politics just like the M98, which in my opinion should be based out of Kingsbridge, with a few runs based out of Quill.

I seriously don't get it...what's wrong with Stengel? Makes much more sense than MJQ of all places.

Split it TU/CS at least.

Stengel would have to loose something in order to take in the M60. 

Very true. However logistically, it doesn't make any sense. It's more politics just like the M98, which in my opinion should be based out of Kingsbridge, with a few runs based out of Quill.

Yeah! well its already Split With Mannyville and Quill!.... it better off at MVille Deadhead wise

Split the 32 with MJQ again.

Q32 split CS/MJQ. M60 split CS/TU.

if that's the case regarding the M60 in queens,  the logistical of the buses, would the sbs buses be divided in half onto the CS end or would the CS artic's get wraps.

ENY if your reading this can you get the reason straight on why they took the Q32 away from MJQ? cause i was told that it was taken away cause the queens union 1056 got mad.

I will try to find out the official reason. When the route was created, it operated out of Manhattan as the 15. Later changing to the M32 under MTA. It was split with Stengel in later years, re-lettered to the Q32, and to my knowledge only went to Stengel 100% for logistical reasons.

I will try to find out the official reason. When the route was created, it operated out of Manhattan as the 16. Later changing to the Q32 under MTA. It was split with Stengel in later years, and to my knowledge only went to Stengel 100% for logistical reasons.

Side Note! Before it was change to the Q32, it was the M32. remember that?

I will try to find out the official reason. When the route was created, it operated out of Manhattan as the 15. Later changing to the M32 under MTA. It was split with Stengel in later years, re-lettered to the Q32, and to my knowledge only went to Stengel 100% for logistical reasons.

As i recall the only reason for the q32 going to cs had to do with that big restructuring and route cutbacks and changes a few years back, the frequency of the buses were cut so less buses were needed and some changes to other routes at quill played a role also

Caught that just before you posted bro! As I was thinking about the history, I remembered it was a 5th Av Coach route, and the first into Jackson Heights. I remembered it operated out of the 12th Street Depot long before Quill was even though of, and "light bulb" M32.

Back then, select rush hour trips went to Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. MTA took it over, and merged it with it's own system when they created MaBSTOA to operate the private lines. 

It started out of the 5th Avenue Coach Depot, which became the 12th Street Depot when MTA took over. The TA shut the facility down in later years ans transfered the route to the Hudson Pier Depot. Some trips operated out of the 9th Av Depot (Now MTA Rail Command Control Center) during rush hours. 

In 2003 it went to Quill as a split with Stengel.

As i recall the only reason for the q32 going to cs had to do with that big restructuring and route cutbacks and changes a few years back, the frequency of the buses were cut so less buses were needed and some changes to other routes at quill played a role also

Checked up on that and that's basically exactly what it was. After budget cuts, it was no longer a necessity the route was split. It wasn't a union issue, and Quill didn't really care if they had the route or not. So it went to Stengel. 

• 2 weeks later...

This depot can only hold 120 buses. The following routes routes will be the M1,M7,M35 and the M15 SBS. The rest will go into other depots

120 buses? Says who? It will have only that much at first. But in the future, it will be filled to capacity. Even with MOW and 9th avenue unit rebuild shop moving in to the depot, I'm sure the capacity should be around 250 buses. Remember, this depot is roughly the same size as MJQ

120 buses? Says who? It will have only that much at first. But in the future, it will be filled to capacity. Even with MOW and 9th avenue unit rebuild shop moving in to the depot, I'm sure the capacity should be around 250 buses. Remember, this depot is roughly the same size as MJQ

From what I understand MCH's capacity will be 250 busses.

I was at the depot with the superintendent of MCH yesterday, and I asked him and he told me exactly what buses are going to be there. Its the M1,7,35 and 15 SBS. The M60 is going to Tuskegee, M31 to Quill, M15 Local to Quill, M116 all Manhattanville, and the M96 and 106 are going to Manhattanville.

Archived