2014-2015 NBA Season Thread

Union Tpke

Thread for NBA

My favorite team is the Lakers. My family likes the lakers because one of my uncles lived in the same building as Wilt Chamberlain in Philly and did laundry together, and he ended up playing for the lakers.

Who do you predict to win the title.

I think the Bulls come out of the east.

My prediction

East

1. Bulls

2. Cavs

3. Wizards

4. Raptors

5. Hornets

6. Hawks

7. Heat

8. Pacers

9. Nets

10. Knicks

11. Pistons

12. Magic

13. Celtics

14. Bucks

15. Tankers (Sixers)

West

1. Spurs

2. Thunder

3. Clippers

4. Blazers

5. Mavs

6. Grizzlies

7. Warriors

8. Rockets

9. Suns

10.Lakers

11.Nuggets

12.Pelicans

13. Jazz

14. Timberwolves

15. Kings

I've lost hope for the NBA being what it used to be (watchable, for starters), but it is good to talk sports on here again.... Especially the yearly MLB threads; them shits used to be poppin (I guess that translates to just how horrid the MLB has been this season).....

In any event....

I see they're your team, but I gotta say you're being generous w/ the Lakers placement.... They won't make the playoffs either way, but that team is in shambles right now.... I'd say they're down there with the Jazz & the (Kevin Love-less) T'wolves....

I was gonna say something about the Rockets being that far down in your prediction, but I just remembered that they parted ways w/ Parsons, Lin, and Asik (sp?).... So yeah, Your playoff west teams look solid.... IDK what the hell happened to the Nuggets in the course of 2 seasons, but damn....

As for the east, I don't see the Pacers making the playoffs.... Their best offensive player by far (George) is gone for the season (injury in one of those summer league games), Stephenson's now on the Hornets, leaving them w/ (juvenile acting) Hibbert, a semi-star David West, and a bunch of bums..... The Knicks will likely squeak into that 8th spot for the same reason the Heat will make the playoffs (stated below), and get embarrassed by the Cavs or the Bulls (whichever one of them will be the #1 seed, provided Rose stays health, of course)... I agree with you w/ the Heat, they'll still get in, due to the east being as bad as it is..... The Wiz'll be much better than expected, they'll make the playoffs, but IDK about them getting the #3 though....

As far as who's gonna bring the title home.... Mad ppl. hopping on the Cleveland bandwagon (I still think Love is overrated... He's one of these guys that puts up big numbers, but doesn't really command much of anything on the court.... Not sure how to explain it, but cats are out here actin like LeBron & Kevin Love are goin be the next Magic & Kareem or something).... Regardless, it'll be some team out west again.... This upcoming season just might be Mr. I've always been #2 my whole life (a.k.a. Kevin Durant)'s best chance to win his 1st title....

I've lost hope for the NBA being what it used to be (watchable, for starters), but it is good to talk sports on here again.... Especially the yearly MLB threads; them shits used to be poppin (I guess that translates to just how horrid the MLB has been this season).....

In any event....

I see they're your team, but I gotta say you're being generous w/ the Lakers placement.... They won't make the playoffs either way, but that team is in shambles right now.... I'd say they're down there with the Jazz & the (Kevin Love-less) T'wolves.... They are better than the kings, jazz and wolves for sure

The lakers are better than people think they are Boozer is still a good ,,player who can average 16 and 6, we have a darkhorse ROY in Julius Randle, Nick Young is a good player, Kobe is going to come back strong (I predict 25 PPG), they have a really good rebounder in Jordan hill. We also have the ex-star Steve Nash, I know he is way on the downside of his career but can still contribute and mentor our younger players, also Jeremy Lin is a good starting PG, Jordan Clarkson had a great summer league and should play well, also we have an athletic player in Wesley Johnson, we have a good backup in Robert Sacre, we have a good player in Ed Davis , Also, ryan kelly played well last season and is a good three point shooter. Also we have a great slasher in Xavier Henry who gets tons of FTA. 

The lakers had so many injuries last season, Kobe missing 76 games, Nash missing  67 games, gasol missing 22, blake missing 26 when he was with the lakers, xavier henry missing 39 games, hill missing 10 games, farmar missing 41 games, bazemore missed 5, Nick Young missed 18, 

I was gonna say something about the Rockets being that far down in your prediction, but I just remembered that they parted ways w/ Parsons, Lin, and Asik (sp?).... So yeah, Your playoff west teams look solid.... IDK what the hell happened to the Nuggets in the course of 2 seasons, but damn....

Injuries, gallinari missed all of last season, and the previous playoffs, mcgee and so much more 

As for the east, I don't see the Pacers making the playoffs.... Their best offensive player by far (George) is gone for the season (injury in one of those summer league games), Stephenson's now on the Hornets, leaving them w/ (juvenile acting) Hibbert, a semi-star David West, and a bunch of bums..... The Knicks will likely squeak into that 8th spot for the same reason the Heat will make the playoffs (stated below),

the knicks are a garbage team 

and get embarrassed by the Cavs or the Bulls (whichever one of them will be the #1 seed,

Even is Rose is not healthy the Bulls are number 1.

provided Rose stays health, of course)... I agree with you w/ the Heat, they'll still get in, due to the east being as bad as it is..... The Wiz'll be much better than expected, they'll make the playoffs, but IDK about them getting the #3 though....

Who would go higher?

As far as who's gonna bring the title home.... Mad ppl. hopping on the Cleveland bandwagon (I still think Love is overrated... He's one of these guys that puts up big numbers, but doesn't really command much of anything on the court.... Not sure how to explain it, but cats are out here actin like LeBron & Kevin Love are goin be the next Magic & Kareem or something).... Regardless, it'll be some team out west again.... This upcoming season just might be Mr. I've always been #2 my whole life (a.k.a. Kevin Durant)'s best chance to win his 1st title....

Union Tpke, most of the east is garbage, so calling the knicks garbage isn't saying much.... 

If the Bulls without Rose is still the best team in the east, that illustrates the point even further!

I don't see Cleveland getting far this season. Whether Kevin Love goes there or not...the East is as wide open as it will ever be. I hope KD gets his first ring this season too.

I don't count on these new age bulls to make it to no finals; always some setback w/ that f*ckin team.... If the league doesn't fix it for LeBron to get in the finals, and some other team in the east gets there, it will be a cakewalk for any of the top 4 teams in the west to win.....

• 2 months later...

For the last couple of weeks I've been watching pre-season NBA games and now the first few real games. I've found the Golden State Warriors very interesting out West although I don't know if they can stay healthy enough all season long. The Clippers have a chance to move up to the Spurs level now that the off-court drama has been resolved. The OKC Thunder are snake-bit with KD and Westbrook out for the next month or two. I would have ranked them up with the Spurs and Clips as the favorites out west. I personally think that Dallas is better than the Houston Rockets or the Blazers. I can see the Suns and Grizzlies fighting for the 8th spot out West. In the East it looks like the Bulls and Cavaliers along with the Raptors and the Heat. Charlotte, Washington and Atlanta will probably be playoff-bound with the Knicks and Nets trying to squeeze their way in, too. They're so many possible storylines going into this season but personally I'd love to see the Spurs win it all for Duncan one more time. Unless the Knicks or Nets somehow come out of the East. Lest I forget I predict Kobe going on the injured list due to excessive shooting as he pads his stats trying to catch the all time scoring leaders.

Like I said 3 months ago... always some setback with the Chicago Bulls....

This guy D. Rose managed to sprain both ankles in one game....

As far as the Thunder.... Oh well, looks like Westbrook won't be breaking the single game scoring record & the single season scoring record this year :lol::D

What happening to the Lakers & the Clippers out there in LA is exactly why I believe in the law of averages..... The Lakers are gonna stink something fierce the next 10 years or so (same thing I predict with the Yankees, but that's neither here nor there)....

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting for J. R. Smith to pass the ball is like waiting for Kim Kardashian to put her clothes back on...

Mike Lupica, ESPN 98.7FM

Now had Stephen A Smith said something like that, he'd have had to come out with an apology..... and would still end up getting suspended....

The point is an obvious one Lupica's making (about J.R.), but I'm glad he's no longer on radio during my lunch hour.... They moved him from the 12-12:45 slot & gave him more time to run his trap - Now he's on from 1-3..... I'll cut my Lupica rant short here & simply say I'd rather listen to Ruocco & Rothernberg (12-1pm) any day of the week, anyway.....

The knicks are expected to suck this season anyway since they just need to let the contracts expire and clear cap for next season and pray to god any decent players want to join. Nets, well they went all in last year and won 1 playoff series, barely. Ironically, the knicks are in a better position than the nets in terms of potential flexibility. Nets are really tied up financially and can't afford any major player as well as having an old guy like Garnett who's useless. That 3ot loss a few nights ago was really sad.

• 1 month later...

Time to bump this thread. I see that J.R. "Triangle" Smith and Iman Shumpert were given their walking papers from the Knicks today. Funny thing is that they're moving up to a playoff team in Cleveland. I can already see Mr. Triangle screwing up what little team chemistry the Cavaliers have. I actually think the Cavs wanted Shumpert for his defensive potential if he can get healthy soon. I don't think the Cavs really need JR any way. The Cavs send a disgruntled Dion Waiters to OKC and the Thunder send the Knicks 3 warm bodies to be waived ASAP. I've heard that the Knicks are going to waive Samuel Dalembert in the next day or so, too. Since the Sixers beat the Cavs tonight the Knicks have the worst record in the NBA so they have officially hit rock bottom. Now let's see what kind of magic Phil Jackson can pull off after this. Meanwhile I'm watching the Golden State-Thunder game and enjoying every minute of it. Can't wait to see what Shaq and Barkley have to say about the trade. I remember them insinuating that " anyone" who couldn't learn the basic triangle offense quickly wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw. They left no doubt whom they were talking about. At least the Knicks have created a lot of cap space. The problem is trying to entice free agents to come to the team. Carry on.

I've been a basketball fan for 50+ years and I've seen the Knicks and the league go through many changes over that span. It's my opinion that the present Knick ownership is the cause of the team's trouble. As Grand Concourse pointed out the owner has a bad habit of chasing names instead of building a foundation for the Knicks' long-term success. It's my opinion that the team has had two great players in the last 30 years or so. I'm talking about Patrick Ewing and Bernard King. Think about that for a moment. The Knicks have had more name ( Hall of Fame) coaches than players. Where is the Knick scouting department ? Do they have one? How does a small market team like the Spurs find their players yet the Knicks can only get a Mark Jackson when he falls into their lap? What other team can hire a GM and let him screw up so badly that they have to hire another GM to clean up the resulting mess ? Answer, the Knicks of course. I personally think the addition of Amar'e was a step in the right direction but the owner's meddling in the acquisition of Carmelo Anthony cost them too much the way Dolan went about it. He wanted a name to counter the Nets and put fannies in the seats at the same time. He got that initially but now that the Brooklyn team has switched gears Dolan and MSG look real stupid. The laughingstock of the league. The Sixers looking down at you while they're tanking the season. I've seen the team stink it up in the early '60's, rise up to championship calibre late '60's to '73 and sink down again 'til Bernard and finally Patrick's time. I think it's funny that Dolan and MSG are in this position fearing the perceived challenge of the Brooklyn Nets. After the Knicks won their last championship in '73 the best team in the area, IMO, was the New York Nets with the Doctor. Let's not forget the New Jersey Nets team with Kidd, Kenyon, Jefferson, and company that went to the NBA finals twice.I think Dolan fears the Nets somewhat. I'm not sure if Phil Jackson can dig the Knicks out of the mess they're in unless there is a stipulation somewhere that James Dolan has nothing to do with the operation of the team. I've heard that there was such a stipulation regarding Dolan and the New York Rangers hockey team. If that's true it helped the Rangers. Maybe with Carmelo sitting it out the team can get Allan Houston and John Starks to give up their team jobs and come down to the hardwood again. Throw Clyde and Mark Jackson out there, too. They can't be any worse than the product on the floor now.

Archived