2014-2015 NBA Season Thread

Union Tpke

Tryna catch up here:

Time to bump this thread. I see that J.R. "Triangle" Smith and Iman Shumpert were given their walking papers from the Knicks today. Funny thing is that they're moving up to a playoff team in Cleveland. I can already see Mr. Triangle screwing up what little team chemistry the Cavaliers have. I actually think the Cavs wanted Shumpert for his defensive potential if he can get healthy soon. I don't think the Cavs really need JR any way. The Cavs send a disgruntled Dion Waiters to OKC and the Thunder send the Knicks 3 warm bodies to be waived ASAP. I've heard that the Knicks are going to waive Samuel Dalembert in the next day or so, too. Since the Sixers beat the Cavs tonight the Knicks have the worst record in the NBA so they have officially hit rock bottom. Now let's see what kind of magic Phil Jackson can pull off after this. Meanwhile I'm watching the Golden State-Thunder game and enjoying every minute of it. Can't wait to see what Shaq and Barkley have to say about the trade. I remember them insinuating that " anyone" who couldn't learn the basic triangle offense quickly wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw. They left no doubt whom they were talking about. At least the Knicks have created a lot of cap space. The problem is trying to entice free agents to come to the team. Carry on.

The Cavs needed a SG, so they went after J.R. Smith... This is why Kyree Irving is trying to do his best impression of Russell Westchuck Westbrook, instead of focusing on playing the 1... Too many of these "1-and-a-half" guards in the league as it is these days; what I mean by that is, there's few PG's anymore that effectively play the position as it should be... To analogize, a "1.5" is a guard that's basically a jack of all trades & a master of none - in other words, someone that half-ass plays the point & someone that half-ass plays the '2'.... Another term for a "1 & a half", is simply a "guard"....

Dalembum is gone; unrestricted FA (free agent)...

As far as cap space goes, notice the knicks are in a similar position to the jets.... Which is saying a LOT for the Knicks, being that they've been stuck with so many bad contracts in the course of what, the past decade, it aint even funny....

Knicks about to get worst after that trade....

That's generally the point of a salary dump (which is really all getting rid of Smith, Shump', and Dalembert was)....

Until you can get that next big name, that is...

The Knicks take the cake with the Jets as the most unwatchable NY sports team. Congratulations.

Easily.... These are literally D league players on their roster.

Sorry B35, but Another Mike Lupica quote:

New York City is the home of the Overpaid, Underperforming Sports Teams

What was he referencing with the overpaid part? The players themselves or NYC residents?

As I have said from the start of the season: I'm not too concerned about this year. Did I expect the team to tank this badly? Obviously not. But with all the potential salary cap cleared and hopefully a few decent draft choices, next season should be the year that determines if there's anything worth rooting for.

As trainmaster said, Walsh put together a decent team only for the idiot Dolan to botch the melo trade and give up too many players for him. The team with just Amare and 'crew' was doing perfectly fine. I think it was also a fair comparison to the Nuggets after the trade in how much better they did in the tough west conference than the knicks did with an uncomfortable duo of Amare and Melo.

I'm hesitant to say Melo is just another 'Starberry', but I'm starting to wonder if the team would've been better off letting him go elsewhere and just reseting the entire roster. The only reason to keep Melo would be to recruit another star or if no one wants to come here next season, which could be the case and Dolan overpaying for some has been just to say he did something.

Speaking of the Nets, when they were still in the swamps, that 2000s team was pretty good with Kidd leading them. Sure they lost to the lakers and spurs, but still 2 finals series in under 3? seasons is nothing to overlook. However, as ballsy/foolish as the recent Nets trade last year with boston for 2 aging players, I dunno what the future holds for them. They'll make the playoffs, but be bounced in either the 1st or 2nd round. Last year if certain players weren't injured, maybe they could've done better against the heat, but they still can't win where it counted. With the huge luxury tax hit from taking on 2 of Boston's has beens, I'm not sure they have any cap room for any players for some time. I dare say the Nets are now like the Knicks in terms of over spending on busts and in need of clearing a bunch of salary.

So bad as the knicks are now, the only bright spot going for them is they will soon have lots of cap space unlike the Nets. Knicks future can hopefully be bright if they can get the right players to come over.

You know something, I miss Stephen A. Smith on ESPN Radio. But then again, If he had to blow up full steam every single day about the state of our sports teams (and trust me, I love hearing him blow up as much as I enjoy B35 laying waste to certain degenerative subjects of discussion), The poor man would have

A) a massive heart attack,

B) a total meltdown,

C) greying/greater receding of his mini fro

D) All of the above

It's gotten so bad I'd have to watch Whoopi Goldberg' s movie "Eddie", just to feel good about them. Smh

I've been a basketball fan for 50+ years and I've seen the Knicks and the league go through many changes over that span. It's my opinion that the present Knick ownership is the cause of the team's trouble. As Grand Concourse pointed out the owner has a bad habit of chasing names instead of building a foundation for the Knicks' long-term success. It's my opinion that the team has had two great players in the last 30 years or so. I'm talking about Patrick Ewing and Bernard King. Think about that for a moment. The Knicks have had more name ( Hall of Fame) coaches than players. Where is the Knick scouting department ? Do they have one? How does a small market team like the Spurs find their players yet the Knicks can only get a Mark Jackson when he falls into their lap? What other team can hire a GM and let him screw up so badly that they have to hire another GM to clean up the resulting mess ? Answer, the Knicks of course. I personally think the addition of Amar'e was a step in the right direction but the owner's meddling in the acquisition of Carmelo Anthony cost them too much the way Dolan went about it. He wanted a name to counter the Nets and put fannies in the seats at the same time. He got that initially but now that the Brooklyn team has switched gears Dolan and MSG look real stupid. The laughingstock of the league. The Sixers looking down at you while they're tanking the season. I've seen the team stink it up in the early '60's, rise up to championship calibre late '60's to '73 and sink down again 'til Bernard and finally Patrick's time. I think it's funny that Dolan and MSG are in this position fearing the perceived challenge of the Brooklyn Nets. After the Knicks won their last championship in '73 the best team in the area, IMO, was the New York Nets with the Doctor. Let's not forget the New Jersey Nets team with Kidd, Kenyon, Jefferson, and company that went to the NBA finals twice.I think Dolan fears the Nets somewhat. I'm not sure if Phil Jackson can dig the Knicks out of the mess they're in unless there is a stipulation somewhere that James Dolan has nothing to do with the operation of the team. I've heard that there was such a stipulation regarding Dolan and the New York Rangers hockey team. If that's true it helped the Rangers. Maybe with Carmelo sitting it out the team can get Allan Houston and John Starks to give up their team jobs and come down to the hardwood again. Throw Clyde and Mark Jackson out there, too. They can't be any worse than the product on the floor now.

Just like the Jets, of course it's ownership with the Knicks - they haven't had a complete team since the mid 90's...

The Dolans went to the Steinbrenner playbook of trying to achieve success when those early-mid 90's teams got old & left/retired... Knicks fans don't like to talk about that, but it's the truth.... What works for the goose doesn't always work for the gander... Collecting talent in that manner doesn't work in 'ball like it can in football & baseball because there is only one ball that can be controlled by one player at any given time.... In football, offensive skill position players are only as good (accurate) as their QB... In baseball, the offense doesn't control the ball at all! On top of it, basketball players are VERY ego driven & some of the most selfish people (I find) in any of the 4 major sports... Which is instilled in boys at a very young age, with the streetball culture & all...

Carmelo Anthony... Need I say more?!?!

This is a man that's known the iso' all his life, so the bullshit he tried to spew when he claimed he would be open to doing anything to win a championship (when Phil got here) was highly laughable to me.... There's only one real difference b/w the triangle & the iso - and that is with the iso, the other 4 players on the court don't have to do shit, whereas with the triangle, the other 4 players have to get involved! Give me the player that succeeds in the isolation offense that can't create his own shot.... Give me the player(s) that succeeds in the triangle offense that aren't good passers... Won't see it.

Anyway, worse, the knicks not only went after the big name player, but players that needed to shoot the ball to be effective (that still plagues them to this day; the inability to snatch up (and keep) a versatile player.... Amare somewhat fit the bill, but injuries has plagued him ever since his years w/ the Suns.... Knicks fans should be thankful that Amare stayed on this team, because there was a point & time when no one else wanted to come here (could you blame them)? I mean, they are STILL talking about LeBron or Durant coming here... LeBron would be committing career suicide if he left Cleveland again, but that's another discussion for another time...

Ever heard the nursery rhyme "how much wood could a woodchuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"? With those later 90's-2000's teams, let's just say there a lot of "chucks" that went in & out of MSG... Hardly any good ball distributors....

As far as your question regarding the Spurs... It's the same thing the Seattle Seahawks pulled off w/ Idzik - Excellent scouting.

The ability to compile a TEAM for cheap, not grabbing a bunch of stars & paying them out the ass to appease fans & (lets face it), the "bright lights, big city, we have to do everything big" bit... Do you see where those 2 strategies are polar opposites of each other.....

You say they should get Starks, Clyde, Mark Jackson, and Houston out there... lol...

My brother, mother, and myself say they should (and sorry for the caps) SWAP THE NY KNICKS WITH THE WESTCHESTER KNICKS

Lmfao!!!!!

Anyway, worse, the knicks not only went after the big name player, but players that needed to shoot the ball to be effective (that still plagues them to this day; the inability to snatch up (and keep) a versatile player.... Amare somewhat fit the bill, but injuries has plagued him ever since his years w/ the Suns.... Knicks fans should be thankful that Amare stayed on this team, because there was a point & time when no one else wanted to come here (could you blame them)? I mean, they are STILL talking about LeBron or Durant coming here... LeBron would be committing career suicide if he left Cleveland again, but that's another discussion for another time...

My goodness I can't even count the number of times my friends have said that "the Knicks are just one good FA away from being contenders..."

I'm a Knicks fan and I'm glad to finally see this stupid team blow the entire thing up. Nearly 15 years of unsustainable practices have led up to this, whether it was trading way too many draft picks, (a 1st rounder for Bargnani? REALLY?) trying to go for the "instant fix," etc etc. The NY sports teams with success (Rangers, Giants, Yankees) have all built their teams through the draft. A core of young players, from Manning to Beckham Jr, Jeter to Posada, Lundqvist to Stepan, have all been the foundation of their success. Guys like Ryan Callahan, Posada and Victor Cruz were drafted in the late rounds or not drafted at all. These young players were all supplemented with trades and FAs that made them even better (McDonagh and St Louis, Martinez and ONeill, etc). The Knicks' philosophy of trading away draft picks and throwing money at the problem has created this huge mess. And the thing is, I STILL hear Knicks fans talking about trading more picks in the future away for this guy or that guy. Some of these Knicks only fans have been exposed to so much of "throw money and draft picks away" that they STILL think it's the solution. Unbelievable. The Knicks need to take a look at the other NY sports teams and follow their models, which is to build through the draft and to focus on developing young players. Even the Yankees are learning that their recent model of throwing money is not sustainable, hence the trades for Evoaldi and Gregorius as well as focusing on the development of Refsynder, Pirela, Severino and Judge. The Knicks front office (before Jackson) and esp some of their fans have some of the thickest skulls I've ever seen.

If there is one NY team that drives me insane, it's the Knicks. Fifteen years of garbage and mediocrity and all they remember is the one 54 win second round exit season that Melo bought them. Smh.

And just a sidenote: The Rangers are lucky as f*ck that James Dolan does not know sh*t about hockey. Otherwise, he would have ruined this team along with the Knicks a long time ago. Thank god that Glen Sather actually has a level head and a competent level of cognitive ability.

James Dolan doesn't know jack about BBall or hockey. I think his father, Charles, sent him over to the sports side of the business so he wouldn't screw up the main cash cow Cablevision. IIRC when James was younger he had a drug or alcohol problem. James reminds me of Donald Trump in a way. The father has the business acumen while the son has the ego and wants to bask in the glory. Just my opinion. Carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the NBA All Star Game starters have been named. I've been reading the comments on the ESPN site and I see many people have expressed their opinions on Kobe and 'Melo being picked. What do you folks think? I really think people take this too seriously. The fans vote for the starting teams. In other words fan favorites not the "best" players in the NBA. The All NBA teams are picked by pros at the end of the season. This is an exhibition game for the public but some fans have taken this personally. Atlanta Hawks fans (#1 team in the East) wonder why their player(s) aren't starters. Chicago Bulls fans want to know what happened to Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler although Pau Gasol made the team. Out West the rumbling is even greater, especially in the backcourt. Steph Curry made it which was a no-brainer, IMO. He's the most popular player in the NBA right now , including Lebron. Problem is the fans voted in Kobe. That means Harden, CP3, Westbrook, Klay Thompson, Damian Lilliard, Mike Conley, and even Tony Parker were left out initially. Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan, Lamarcus Aldridge, and even Tim Duncan didn't get the call from the fans. Some of these guys, East and West, will be added by the coaches later on because they were injured earlier in the year, some won't play because of their present injury status, but what I'm trying to find out is what do forum members think about the teams and the process for picking the players. Just remember the fans themselves picked or snubbed these players. Since the voting was done online and open to people around the world what do these results really mean? What was interesting to me was that the folks on the ESPN site complained about "their" hometown players missing the cut but there was nothing stopping them from stuffing the ballot box. The folks in Toronto did just that and put Kyle Lowery in over DWade. Carry on.

.....Some of these guys, East and West, will be added by the coaches later on because they were injured earlier in the year, some won't play because of their present injury status, but what I'm trying to find out is what do forum members think about the teams and the process for picking the players. Just remember the fans themselves picked or snubbed these players......

Although I do have reasons as to why I'm against fan voting in general, my main issue isn't the basic action of fan voting.... It's the fact that players that have been injured for a significant amt. of time are still on the table to be voted for.... There should be a minimum amount of games and/or minutes that makes a player eligible to be voted for....

Well the NBA All Star Game starters have been named. I've been reading the comments on the ESPN site and I see many people have expressed their opinions on Kobe and 'Melo being picked. What do you folks think? I really think people take this too seriously. The fans vote for the starting teams. In other words fan favorites not the "best" players in the NBA. The All NBA teams are picked by pros at the end of the season. This is an exhibition game for the public but some fans have taken this personally. Atlanta Hawks fans (#1 team in the East) wonder why their player(s) aren't starters. Chicago Bulls fans want to know what happened to Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler although Pau Gasol made the team. Out West the rumbling is even greater, especially in the backcourt. Steph Curry made it which was a no-brainer, IMO. He's the most popular player in the NBA right now , including Lebron. Problem is the fans voted in Kobe. That means Harden, CP3, Westbrook, Klay Thompson, Damian Lilliard, Mike Conley, and even Tony Parker were left out initially. Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan, Lamarcus Aldridge, and even Tim Duncan didn't get the call from the fans. Some of these guys, East and West, will be added by the coaches later on because they were injured earlier in the year, some won't play because of their present injury status, but what I'm trying to find out is what do forum members think about the teams and the process for picking the players. Just remember the fans themselves picked or snubbed these players. Since the voting was done online and open to people around the world what do these results really mean? What was interesting to me was that the folks on the ESPN site complained about "their" hometown players missing the cut but there was nothing stopping them from stuffing the ballot box. The folks in Toronto did just that and put Kyle Lowery in over DWade. Carry on.

Isn't Kobe done for the year though?

Isn't Kobe done for the year though?

Yes he's done for the year but the voting was done prior to his latest injury. I think B35 has an idea of where my question(s) were pointing to. I know Durant and Westbrook were injured earlier in the year so the fans took that into consideration. What about someone like Duncan, Parker, Ginobili of the Spurs, DWade, Derrick Rose, or even Kobe,  Lebron, or 'Melo who have "rested" because of injury or age so far this season. In the Spurs case you have the aforementioned guys plus the Finals MVP, Kawhi Leonard, who have missed significant time this year because of "rest" and/or injury. Whom do I add to my squad in either conference ? The Atlanta Hawks 'aka' San Antonio East have a team that's leading their conference along with the Wizards and Raptors yet they were snubbed by the fans. Obviously the coaches will correct the oversight somewhat but 6 months from now how many fans will even remember the players added to the squads ? Can anyone imagine what would it would look like if the Hawks and Grizzlies played in the NBA Finals and only Marc Gasol was an All Star this year. I think everyone knows how the league and it's networks promote the "stars" come playoff time I don't know how to solve this All Star squad quirk which is why I've asked this question. Maybe expand the teams to 15 or more players ? I don't know. Carry on.

That was always my issue with ASG's. Instead of voting for the player having the best season, people vote for the household name. The NFL and NHL ASG's don't interest me anymore (the hell with that "fantasy for real" crap). MLB is pathetic as is (winning league gets home field in the WS. Damn 2002 ASG. And if the game is held in an NL park, the DH still must be used)

Yes he's done for the year but the voting was done prior to his latest injury. I think B35 has an idea of where my question(s) were pointing to. I know Durant and Westbrook were injured earlier in the year so the fans took that into consideration. What about someone like Duncan, Parker, Ginobili of the Spurs, DWade, Derrick Rose, or even Kobe,  Lebron, or 'Melo who have "rested" because of injury or age so far this season. In the Spurs case you have the aforementioned guys plus the Finals MVP, Kawhi Leonard, who have missed significant time this year because of "rest" and/or injury. Whom do I add to my squad in either conference ? The Atlanta Hawks 'aka' San Antonio East have a team that's leading their conference along with the Wizards and Raptors yet they were snubbed by the fans. Obviously the coaches will correct the oversight somewhat but 6 months from now how many fans will even remember the players added to the squads ? Can anyone imagine what would it would look like if the Hawks and Grizzlies played in the NBA Finals and only Marc Gasol was an All Star this year. I think everyone knows how the league and it's networks promote the "stars" come playoff time I don't know how to solve this All Star squad quirk which is why I've asked this question. Maybe expand the teams to 15 or more players ? I don't know. Carry on.

Semi-stars don't sell.

(Don't know what else I can add to that, as it's really that simple)

That was always my issue with ASG's. Instead of voting for the player having the best season, people vote for the household name. The NFL and NHL ASG's don't interest me anymore (the hell with that "fantasy for real" crap). MLB is pathetic as is (winning league gets home field in the WS. Damn 2002 ASG. And if the game is held in an NL park, the DH still must be used)

None of the actual ASG's interest me anymore, but what my brother & I were discussing during the NHL skills challenge was, which sport has the better skills challenge..... We agreed that the NHL's is light years ahead of the NBA's (which has drastically declined), followed by the bland ass HR derby.... The only reason both of us put the NBA's ahead of the HR derby was simply due to there being more events the NBA's offers....

* The Pro Bowl skills challenge we didn't count - as it wasn't even televised! It ended in either 2007 or '08... No reason was ever given....

Archived