MCI D4500CT Delivery Thread (CNG, Diesel & Hybrid-Electric)

Cait Sith

Registrations have been verified for all the above buses and the VINs have been confirmed. The majority of this year's buses still have the Cummins ISX-12 buses. We are still waiting for 19183 and 19184, otherwise the 2019 portion of the MCI order is done. Next up should be the New Flyer artics, then the 2020 MCI's.

Edited by davemackey

• 1 month later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/6/2019 at 10:04 AM, davemackey said:

Registrations have been verified for all the above buses and the VINs have been confirmed. The majority of this year's buses still have the Cummins ISX-12 buses. We are still waiting for 19183 and 19184, otherwise the 2019 portion of the MCI order is done. Next up should be the New Flyer artics, then the 2020 MCI's.

No 19183 or 19184. I forgot that the 2019 order was only 182 coaches.

September 2019 will begin the process of building the 2020 coaches, which will begin with 20001. All 183 of the 2020 buses will be D4500CT's and will have the Cummins X12 engine. See you in September, as they say.

Edited by davemackey

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 9:44 PM, Ron2themax said:

Here's my guess, either 02000 and 02100s, 2000 & 2100s or still have them in the high 9000 series, such as 9700 and 9800. 

No they wont go back to 4 digits so i'm guessing 20201. 20 for the year and start at 20201 so not to mess with the MCI order. We will see soon.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, davemackey said:

No 19183 or 19184. I forgot that the 2019 order was only 182 coaches.

September 2019 will begin the process of building the 2020 coaches, which will begin with 20001. All 183 of the 2020 buses will be D4500CT's and will have the Cummins X12 engine. See you in September, as they say.

I thought it was suppose to be a special order of D4000CT since Market Street and Oradell can't handle 45 footers?

Edited by The TransitMan

On 8/11/2019 at 5:29 PM, busdude2 said:

What number will the artics use if the MCI's are starting with 20001 ? Maybe start after the MCI's 20201 ?

Well we know there's 183 2020 MCI's and we know those will occupy 20001-20183 so round up and they'll probably start at 20201. The only thing that could possibly throw a wrench in things is if the pilot buses are 2019 models not 2020's...

I'm not sure the specifics on that but a few XD60's in the 1920x range might be possible.

Speaking of which, when is the first XD60 bus due at NJT?

On 8/19/2019 at 9:54 PM, The TransitMan said:

I thought it was suppose to be a special order of D4000CT since Market Street and Oradell can't handle 45 footers?

I'm sure Market Street can house some 45 footers. They've been known from time to time of keeping some of Wayne's 45 footers at there garage, whether it's breakdown or not. A couple months ago I saw one of Wayne's new 19000 MCI sitting alongside Market's older MCIs outside. I told myself that bus can't be broke. It's too damn new not to be shot. Could it be maintenance training and or driver's to get a look inside and out of the bus, don't know

On 8/20/2019 at 1:09 AM, Around the Horn said:

Well we know there's 183 2020 MCI's and we know those will occupy 20001-20183 so round up and they'll probably start at 20201. The only thing that could possibly throw a wrench in things is if the pilot buses are 2019 models not 2020's...

I'm not sure the specifics on that but a few XD60's in the 1920x range might be possible.

Speaking of which, when is the first XD60 bus due at NJT?

I agree I said that above.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 11:25 PM, davemackey said:

The 2020 D4500CT's are coming off the assembly line in Pembina. I have 37 confimed vins so far but we haven't seen any on the property yet. Be advised that as noted, the 2020 buses are being shipped with the X12 engines. keep your eyes open....

Who is next to get them ?

On 9/14/2019 at 11:25 PM, davemackey said:

The 2020 D4500CT's are coming off the assembly line in Pembina. I have 37 confimed vins so far but we haven't seen any on the property yet. Be advised that as noted, the 2020 buses are being shipped with the X12 engines. keep your eyes open....

Have you heard anything about the New Flyers?

16 hours ago, busdude2 said:

Who is next to get them ?

From what I understand, it'a going to be a mix of Coach USA, Academy, Ironbound, Meadowlands and Howell. Remarkably Howell still has a number of diesel buses in addition to the 147 CNG cruisers.

Edited by davemackey

2 hours ago, davemackey said:

From what I understand, it'a going to be a mix of Coach USA, Academy, Ironbound, Meadowlands and Howell. Remarkably Howell still has a number of diesel buses in addition to the 147 CNG cruisers.

If NJ Transit wants too, they could replace all the older MCI diesel bunch in Howell while still keep the Ex-MTA cruisers. 

I think the only coaches in Coach USA that are replaceable now is the remaining Rockland Coaches MCIs. I don't know if Suburban has any old MCIs running around. As for Academy, it's kinda funny that they will now have a mixture of 17s', 19s' and now 20s'. I agree it's time for both Meadowlands and Ironbound Garages to get their fair share of fresh MCIs.

Remarkably guys that Wayne Garage for whatever reason still has three older 03' 45 footers left running. At least Transit replaced all the seat upholstery in them buses. I wish they have kept 8292 around as well. The sound of that Jake brake in 8292 is superbly loud and smooth, oh well.

12 hours ago, davemackey said:

I have a hunch that they want those 7100s out......I don't see the Detroits going into retirement so soon. At most, I see those going to Wayne.

Just now, GojiMet86 said:

What's the story behind why the MTA rejected those 18 buses? Were they even in MTA paint?

The TA was apparently having issues with how much heat these buses were putting out through the exhaust. It went as high to a point where it could light a block of wood on fire on contact, which became a problem with the entire order because those buses could burn anyone to a crisp if they walked or stood behind it.

What led to those 18 buses being sold to NJ Transit? I believe its related to the above reasons but I'm not completely sure, BUT, it's funny how NJ Transit got THEIRS in service WAY before the MTA debuted theirs in service.

The funny thing is that some units almost caught fire early, with one completely engulfed in flames 5 years later after they entered service, unit 7109.

3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The TA was apparently having issues with how much heat these buses were putting out through the exhaust. It went as high to a point where it could light a block of wood on fire on contact, which became a problem with the entire order because those buses could burn anyone to a crisp if they walked or stood behind it.

What led to those 18 buses being sold to NJ Transit? I believe its related to the above reasons but I'm not completely sure, BUT, it's funny how NJ Transit got THEIRS in service WAY before the MTA debuted theirs in service.

The funny thing is that some units almost caught fire early, with one completely engulfed in flames 5 years later after they entered service, unit 7109.

Interesting, guess they were just tested by the MTA. Now NJT has had them for almost a decade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still waiting for Oradell to get new equipment I highly doubt MCI is making any more 40 footers that’s a whole different fabrication process and by now NJT would have placed that order all the people in Bergen county do is complain on social media about the raggedy buses that’s not helping their cause they need to put fire to Murphy’s ass or ask the folks on Staten Island what it took to get new equipment from the MTA  

• 1 month later...