Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
BM5 via Woodhaven

Levittown Parents Start Petition To Extend Bus Routes For Division Avenue High School Students

A group of Levittown parents say their teenagers are being subjected to a potentially deadly commute to school.

Parents of students at Division Avenue High School started a petition asking the school to extend bus routes. They want to include all high school students south of Hempstead Turnpike, and not just those outside the 1 1/2-mile radius required to be eligible for bus transportation.

Petition: http://www.change.org/p/levittown-public-school-district-change-the-mileage-rule-and-get-the-kids-south-of-hempstead-turnpike-on-the-bus?utm_campaign=petition_created&utm_medium=email&utm_source=guides

Article: http://longisland.news12.com/news/levittown-parents-start-petition-to-extend-bus-routes-for-division-avenue-high-school-students-1.9215908

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they could experiment with NICE trippers to schools, but with the way service has been run, I don't know. Thoughts?

(My mistake, if this isn't suitable for the NICE Forum, the article didn't specify).

• Upvote 1

Of course the typical ignorant parents dont realize the n73 already goes that way, well I know some rush hour trips do, perhaps NICE could try & accomadate these students?

• Upvote 1

Parents would throw a fit if Nassau tried to come up with a system like NYC where kids ride public buses to school and get student MetroCards. They all left the city so they wouldn't be raising their kids in an environment with public transit (among other things).

It absolutely could work and work well for NICE to run school transportation for Nassau like the MTA does for NYC, but the parents would sh!t bricks. Not to mention the kids are already being brought up in an environment where public transit is only for "poor people and minorities", which is why NICE isn't rode out there by kids like the MTA is in NYC and part of why NICE and suburban buses in general suck. See if they worked like NYC and kids rode public buses to school, I'm sure the mentality would be insanely different, with kids actually riding the buses not just to school but to the mall, their friends houses, and so on, and NICE wouldn't have a lot of the problems with ridership it does today. Hell, perhaps we'd still have MTA Long Island Bus. But this is the suburbs and public transit goes against the mentality of the people out there.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Parents would throw a fit if Nassau tried to come up with a system like NYC where kids ride public buses to school and get student MetroCards. They all left the city so they wouldn't be raising their kids in an environment with public transit (among other things).

It absolutely could work and work well for NICE to run school transportation for Nassau like the MTA does for NYC, but the parents would sh!t bricks. Not to mention the kids are already being brought up in an environment where public transit is only for "poor people and minorities", which is why NICE isn't rode out there by kids like the MTA is in NYC and part of why NICE and suburban buses in general suck. See if they worked like NYC and kids rode public buses to school, I'm sure the mentality would be insanely different, with kids actually riding the buses not just to school but to the mall, their friends houses, and so on, and NICE wouldn't have a lot of the problems with ridership it does today. Hell, perhaps we'd still have MTA Long Island Bus. But this is the suburbs and public transit goes against the mentality of the people out there.

The (MTA) loses tons of money from those student metrocards, I doubt NICE is looking to replicate that set-up. Maybe if they got reimbursed by the school district they would agree to a set-up like that, though they don't have the infrastructure and rolling stock to take on a ton of kids anyway at this point

• Upvote 1

The (MTA) loses tons of money from those student metrocards, I doubt NICE is looking to replicate that set-up. Maybe if they got reimbursed by the school district they would agree to a set-up like that, though they don't have the infrastructure and rolling stock to take on a ton of kids anyway at this point

The city should be funding those to begin with but that's another argument.

• Upvote 1

Then how do you explain the n17 running from Hempstead High School to Oak Street during the LIB days?

Then how do you explain the n17 running from Hempstead High School to Oak Street during the LIB days?

His point is very valid.  The n17 is the exception, not the rule.  When I'm on Long Island traveling from Manhattan, I use the LIRR to car service, or I am picked up.  everyone looks down on the local buses out there and I don't blame them, esp. given how poor the buses supposedly run.  Car service is ridiculously expensive out there, but I'd rather pay for that than have to rely on that sh*tty NiCE" service.

I agree 100%.  In Manhattan everyone rides local buses, but in the suburbs, and outer areas of the city, the main people riding local buses as their primary mean of transportation are the poor folks.  The only time that I use the local bus is in Manhattan and only for short trips if I'm too lazy to walk.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I agree 100%. In Manhattan everyone rides local buses, but in the suburbs, and outer areas of the city, the main people riding local buses as their primary mean of transportation are the poor folks. The only time that I use the local bus is in Manhattan and only for short trips if I'm too lazy to walk.

Not true at all. Manhattan I would say is one of the least bus oriented boroughs. They get used, but they don't have the same purpose they do in the other boroughs.

And that's true in the suburbs, but not in the outer boroughs at all. Young kids, conditioned to public transit since the city has them riding it to school, make up for a lot of the ridership 7 days a week. Even in NE Queens and Staten Island. I bet if the city cheese-bused kids to school through high school, kids (more affluent kids in particular) would feel the same way about public transit as suburban kids do and routes like the Flushing-NE Queens routes, SI routes, etc where I can personally tell you kids make up a major portion of riders 7 days a week wouldn't see the frequent service or upgrades (like bus lanes/"SBS" on the S79) we see on those routes today. I was saying if Nassau also conditioned their kids to public transit, they also could end up using it daily for things other than school and NICE could run much more like outer borough buses because of it.

• Upvote 1

Not true at all. Manhattan I would say is one of the least bus oriented boroughs. They get used, but they don't have the same purpose they do in the other boroughs.

And that's true in the suburbs, but not in the outer boroughs at all. Young kids, conditioned to public transit since the city has them riding it to school, make up for a lot of the ridership 7 days a week. Even in NE Queens and Staten Island. I bet if the city cheese-bused kids to school through high school, kids (more affluent kids in particular) would feel the same way about public transit as suburban kids do and routes like the Flushing-NE Queens routes, SI routes, etc where I can personally tell you kids make up a major portion of riders 7 days a week wouldn't see the frequent service or upgrades (like bus lanes/"SBS" on the S79) we see on those routes today. I was saying if Nassau also conditioned their kids to public transit, they also could end up using it daily for things other than school and NICE could run much more like outer borough buses because of it.

My point was that people who DON'T use any public transportation will and DO use local buses in Manhattan.  My boss for example hates the subway, but she does use the local bus to get to and from the Upper East Side.  Anywhere else outside of Manhattan, she gets the car from the garage and drives.

The fact of the matter is on Nassau, public transportation is scorned, save the LIRR, and you and I know that.  You don't move to Long Island to use public transportation.  You move to the suburbs (usually) when you have money to escape the concrete jungle that is the city.  No way in hell would I use the local buses if I moved to Long Island.  I'd buy a car.  I would however use the LIRR to get to the city and use the car to get to and from the station.  Driving in the city can be a PITA so I wouldn't bother.  Plenty of my friends have done it and it's always a pain to find parking unless they park in a garage out of the way somewhere.  Then again, they live in the suburbs in New Jersey, so they're very car centric, though they do leave the car at home at times when coming to Manhattan.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

My point was that people who DON'T use any public transportation will and DO use local buses in Manhattan. My boss for example hates the subway, but she does use the local bus to get to and from the Upper East Side. Anywhere else outside of Manhattan, she gets the car from the garage and drives.

The fact of the matter is on Nassau, public transportation is scorned, save the LIRR, and you and I know that. You don't move to Long Island to use public transportation. You move to the suburbs (usually) when you have money to escape the concrete jungle that is the city. No way in hell would I use the local buses if I moved to Long Island. I'd buy a car. I would however use the LIRR to get to the city and use the car to get to and from the station. Driving in the city can be a PITA so I wouldn't bother. Plenty of my friends have done it and it's always a pain to find parking unless they park in a garage out of the way somewhere. Then again, they live in the suburbs in New Jersey, so they're very car centric, though they do leave the car at home at times when coming to Manhattan.

You're missing the point. If Nassau didn't cheese bus their kids to school and had them riding NICE, the kids would become a major ridership factor 7 days a week just like in the city, and it would lead to service increases and upgrades that could end up encouraging others to ride too.

You're missing the point. If Nassau didn't cheese bus their kids to school and had them riding NICE, the kids would become a major ridership factor 7 days a week just like in the city, and it would lead to service increases and upgrades that could end up encouraging others to ride too.

Which I don't see happening unless you have more city folks moving to the suburbs... The mentality of some city folks moving to the suburbs is quite different these days than in previous years, so who knows...

His point is very valid.  The n17 is the exception, not the rule.  When I'm on Long Island traveling from Manhattan, I use the LIRR to car service, or I am picked up.  everyone looks down on the local buses out there and I don't blame them, esp. given how poor the buses supposedly run.  Car service is ridiculously expensive out there, but I'd rather pay for that than have to rely on that sh*tty NiCE" service.

They look down on them because they think they are so high class than others, not because of it's frequency. People in the suburbs usually have (not everyone, but a good majority) some retarded mentality.

They look down on them because they think they are so high class than others, not because of it's frequency. People in the suburbs usually have (not everyone, but a good majority) some retarded mentality.

Well duh that's pretty obvious, but the point was that even if someone did consider riding the buses, unless they had to, they wouldn't because the headways are abysmal.  I didn't because I didn't know what to expect and quite frankly, you don't go to the suburbs and ride the local buses.  Just a big no-no in my book.  I think it's acceptable to do in the city, but in the suburbs... Nope... You don't ride them unless you're poor. The trade off is that a lot of folks in the burbs are overweight since they don't walk anywhere, which is why I'm in a semi-suburban area.

• Upvote 1

Well duh that's pretty obvious, but the point was that even if someone did consider riding the buses, unless they had to, they wouldn't because the headways are abysmal.  I didn't because I didn't know what to expect and quite frankly, you don't go to the suburbs and ride the local buses.  Just a big no-no in my book.  I think it's acceptable to do in the city, but in the suburbs... Nope... You don't ride them unless you're poor. The trade off is that a lot of folks in the burbs are overweight since they don't walk anywhere, which is why I'm in a semi-suburban area.

Being poor doesn't really have to with anything, I despise how people are so ignorant which such comments and use that as an argument. Bus service in the city and suburbs are almost the same, they have similar models and so on. By that logic, a good portion of the city is poor (I'll include Westchester in this count, which is more transit-friendly than LI). Like if you prefer the car over the bus, fine, but bringing how poor someone is not needed at all.

Like I said, most people in the suburban areas are so retarded (and stupid)....

Suburban kids don't like to have any connection to public transport. They act like they have some kind of elitism and will not ride the "public" buses because of this.

I still don't understand their mentality though, I mean it's the suburbs, there aren't too many low income areas regardless, so what's the point? I'd take advantage of it.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
  • Upvote 1

Suburban kids don't like to have any connection to public transport. They act like they have some kind of elitism and will not ride the "public" buses because of this.

Being poor doesn't really have to with anything, I despise how people are so ignorant which such comments and use that as an argument. Bus service in the city and suburbs are almost the same, they have similar models and so on. By that logic, a good portion of the city is poor (I'll include Westchester in this count, which is more transit-friendly than LI). Like if you prefer the car over the bus, fine, but bringing how poor someone is not needed at all.

Like I said, most people in the suburban areas are so retarded (and stupid)....

I personally live in Westchester, and I'd like to point out that it is generally the poorer population that uses public transport and the richer that use cars. Cars have a much higher cost, but are also more verastile overall. In Westchester I don't see a 10 minute ride to White Plains from Tarrytown in a bus. No way in hell I'd take the trek to the bus stop and wait another 15 mins for a 30 min ride.

I personally live in Westchester, and I'd like to point out that it is generally the poorer population that uses public transport and the richer that use cars. Cars have a much higher cost, but are also more verastile overall. In Westchester I don't see a 10 minute ride to White Plains from Tarrytown in a bus. No way in hell I'd take the trek to the bus stop and wait another 15 mins for a 30 min ride.

I understand what you're saying with that statement, and I agree, that the bus takes considerably longer. You do raise a valid point. There are things slowly being done to improve this. Both car and bus have it's positive and negatives. I know that people don't like the bus for the reason stated, and fine with me, don't blame anyone.

My problem is when people bring in poor people in the argument. I mean, so what if they're poorer? What are you trying to prove? If it's because of anything related to stereotypes, then I don't want to hear. I'm not calling you out, as you brought up a different stance on this, but there are some ignorant people out there. Yeah, I know people of lower incomes tend to use the bus more. However, the bus is probably used as a back up in certain areas, which is a good thing. I mean, not saying you need to ride the bus every day, but one day wouldn't hurt, IMO.

I'm trying to differentiate two social classes. The poorer usually don't have the money to afford a car but the rich do. The poor have to stick with the lousy public transport, but the rich get all the goods. It's just the way society works, and I'm brining this in because VG8 brought it in as well. I'd also like to point out that the public transport generally serves the "poorer" areas more.

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to differentiate two social classes. The poorer usually don't have the money to afford a car but the rich do. The poor have to stick with the lousy public transport, but the rich get all the goods. It's just the way society works, and I'm brining this in because VG8 brought it in as well. I'd also like to point out that the public transport generally serves the "poorer" areas more.

Alright, but my question is, what does social classes have to do with anything over preferring the bus over the car?

It's generally the upper class who will prefer the private transport due to their insane sense of elitism. Parents will NEVER say yes to public transport, in the upper class environment. Meanwhile lower classes have no option to drive. The contrasting factor is the money.

It's generally the upper class who will prefer the private transport due to their insane sense of elitism. Parents will NEVER say yes to public transport, in the upper class environment. Meanwhile lower classes have no option to drive. The contrasting factor is the money.

Yeah, but it isn't even a legitimate reason, which is what I'm trying to get at. If that were the case, they would need to move out to farm territory and start milking cows and stay isolated out there, because there's people of different incomes everywhere. If they are so elite, they wouldn't be living in the suburbs of New York in the first place. They would all own mansions and stuff, in the semi rural areas. So that sense of elitism is nothing more than a sense of discrimination. Furthermore, they aren't even ruling anything, so the elitism can miss me and head out the window. If such people go to the cities in the area (which contain people of different incomes and what not), why do they go there, if they're so elite. I thought they want to be elite... 

So what if there are lower income people there?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
  • Upvote 1

The "mom's" are the ones who move up there, y'now the super involved PTSA kind. I hate to say it but they seem to have the power to dominate school systems, so I don't see any reason they won't stop public bussing "for" their children. Exactly, it's discrimination at its finest, and I can't stand having to live with it. They are clueless of the rest of the world, the ones who don't sit on their asses and bitch to other momma's about their sons quiz grade or their perfect aryan daughter's dance recital. The inequality between the two "social classes" in suburban New York are insane. I'm just pointing out that these perfect people will never ever let one of their sons or daughters in the real world, so they will not be riding any sort of public transportation or any sort of non-pristine school.

• Upvote 2

The "mom's" are the ones who move up there, y'now the super involved PTSA kind. I hate to say it but they seem to have the power to dominate school systems, so I don't see any reason they won't stop public bussing "for" their children. Exactly, it's discrimination at its finest, and I can't stand having to live with it. They are clueless of the rest of the world, the ones who don't sit on their asses and bitch to other momma's about their sons quiz grade or their perfect aryan daughter's dance recital. The inequality between the two "social classes" in suburban New York are insane. I'm just pointing out that these perfect people will never ever let one of their sons or daughters in the real world, so they will not be riding any sort of public transportation or any sort of non-pristine school.

They could always opt to not take those buses, and let ridership speak for itself, but yes, you do have point, they would go as far as eliminating the public bus completely.

Economic class has nothing to do with it (with the kids anyway), it's fhe AREA. When you're in a higher income area in NYC limits like NE Queens, Riverdale (inb4 VG8 denies it) and SI, kids all ride the bus. Whereas kids in the real suburbs don't. That's because NYC conditions kids to public transit by having them ride it to school while the suburbs cheese buses them.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Where would NICE find the money to adjust the buses to serve the schools? Wouldn't the school districts have to cough up the money to fund this sort of thing?