Levittown Parents Start Petition To Extend Bus Routes For Division Avenue High School Students

Alright, but my question is, what does social classes have to do with anything over preferring the bus over the car?

It's generally the upper class who will prefer the private transport due to their insane sense of elitism. Parents will NEVER say yes to public transport, in the upper class environment. Meanwhile lower classes have no option to drive. The contrasting factor is the money.

It's pretty simple... Back in the old days, the first thing that people did to show that were successful in the US and had achieved the American dream was to MOVE TO THE SUBURBS and then buy a house... and a car... You don't move to the suburbs to take public transportation... It doesn't go together with the whole "American dream" thing and being "successful"... Now if I lived in the suburbs I would most certainly have a car and that was something I struggled with living on Staten Island and why I left because just about all of my commuting is to and from the city where one doesn't need a car and going to the city via the express bus or commuter rail is perfectably acceptable even for people who drive elsewhere. On Staten Island however, you often times need a car just to get to the express bus if you want reliable service.  

Now however, many people are moving to the suburbs because some areas are cheaper and they can't afford to live anywhere in the city in a way some areas in the suburbs are being transformed.  You basically have the upper middle class areas outside of Manhattan, the upper class/upper middle class areas in the suburbs, the dirty poor areas in the suburbs, and the upper class/upper middle class areas in Manhattan, save the poor areas (i.e. housing projects).

Economic class has nothing to do with it (with the kids anyway), it's fhe AREA. When you're in a higher income area in NYC limits like NE Queens, Riverdale (inb4 VG8 denies it) and SI, kids all ride the bus. Whereas kids in the real suburbs don't. That's because NYC conditions kids to public transit by having them ride it to school while the suburbs cheese buses them.

I'm not denying it but at the same time, plenty of parents shelter their kids here in Riverdale and take them on the express bus to private schools in Manhattan, as they can afford to do it and have no problem spending the money. I see quite a few of them on the BxM1 and BxM2 in the morning in their uniforms, and if they are too little, the parents will take them to the city via the express bus.  The private schools are first class here in Riverdale and are some of the most expensive not only in New York, but in the entire country (i.e. Riverdale Country School and Horace Mann) with yearly tuition costing $40k in some cases, but the public schools are nearby down the hill, and they aren't nearly as good.  I overheard one kid asking his mother why he couldn't go to school in the area, and his mother stated that he couldn't go to the schools down the hill because they weren't good, so she was taking him to school in the city.

It's funny because the parents in the affluent towns in Westchester send their kids to school in Riverdale and the folks in Riverdale send their kids to school in Manhattan:

"Yes many of the children that go to HM and Riverdale do live in westchester( they have buses from these schools to westchester homes). I just don't know where in westchester, if I were to guess i would imagine the towns closer to riverdale. I agree that the taxes are high is some of these towns hence I was wondering where these families live( I would think in a lower tax town since they do not need good public schools)."

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/westchester-county/1978880-anyone-living-westchester-send-your-child.html#ixzz3CyMNVqzE"

"We had friends in Larchmont who used to drive their kids to Riverdale. It became too much of a grind - kids should be commuting long term. They moved closer to the school. A couple of my daughter's friends go to Horace Mann, we live on Mamaroneck/Rye border."

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/westchester-county/1978880-anyone-living-westchester-send-your-child.html#ixzz3CyMWCGKX

My point was that people who DON'T use any public transportation will and DO use local buses in Manhattan.  My boss for example hates the subway, but she does use the local bus to get to and from the Upper East Side.  Anywhere else outside of Manhattan, she gets the car from the garage and drives.

The fact of the matter is on Nassau, public transportation is scorned, save the LIRR, and you and I know that.  You don't move to Long Island to use public transportation.  You move to the suburbs (usually) when you have money to escape the concrete jungle that is the city.  No way in hell would I use the local buses if I moved to Long Island.  I'd buy a car.  I would however use the LIRR to get to the city and use the car to get to and from the station.  Driving in the city can be a PITA so I wouldn't bother.  Plenty of my friends have done it and it's always a pain to find parking unless they park in a garage out of the way somewhere.  Then again, they live in the suburbs in New Jersey, so they're very car centric, though they do leave the car at home at times when coming to Manhattan.

Pure unadulterated nonsense outside the crosstowns and LES and a few L shaped buses mostly old people or tourists are entertaining the shitastic reliability of manhattan's bus network. I have taken NICE buses with better on-time performance than most buses not all but many in Manhattan. Ohh FYI about New Jersey 60% of NJT's overall ridership owns their own car.

I'm trying to differentiate two social classes. The poorer usually don't have the money to afford a car but the rich do. The poor have to stick with the lousy public transport, but the rich get all the goods. It's just the way society works, and I'm brining this in because VG8 brought it in as well. I'd also like to point out that the public transport generally serves the "poorer" areas more.

You do realize the buses in the rich areas are run so poorly even if they wanted to use the buses due to lack of service THEY SIMPLY CAN'T. End of story look at the 14 do you honestly think people would put up with it if the 17 was a full time route? No way in hell would they put up with the 14's twists and turns. They would abandon the 14 like a burning building. However since they can afford to drive they simply can if transit is too slow for them to use or infrequent as a result they are less likely to complain and suck it up and drive even if they don't want to. Bee-line's connections with the MNRR Outside the 65/64/63 and WP sucks they don't even have a keyword frequent bus from Valhalla or Hawthorne to the medical center!!! 15 is a sad joke and it runs in the middle of nowhere.

The (MTA) loses tons of money from those student metrocards, I doubt NICE is looking to replicate that set-up. Maybe if they got reimbursed by the school district they would agree to a set-up like that, though they don't have the infrastructure and rolling stock to take on a ton of kids anyway at this point

Yes I'm sure the MTA does not make monetary gain from student metrocards but for a different reason: The NYDOE does not pay for the cards even though they are a city agency fully funded by federal city and state tax dollars. The MTA does. Right out of fare collection revenue and I imagine written off as operation costs.

For that reason I dont see NICE being able to pull this off either, unless Nassau County foots the bill.

It's pretty simple... Back in the old days, the first thing that people did to show that were successful in the US and had achieved the American dream was to MOVE TO THE SUBURBS and then buy a house... and a car... You don't move to the suburbs to take public transportation... It doesn't go together with the whole "American dream" thing and being "successful"... Now if I lived in the suburbs I would most certainly have a car and that was something I struggled with living on Staten Island and why I left because just about all of my commuting is to and from the city where one doesn't need a car and going to the city via the express bus or commuter rail is perfectably acceptable even for people who drive elsewhere. On Staten Island however, you often times need a car just to get to the express bus if you want reliable service.  

Now however, many people are moving to the suburbs because some areas are cheaper and they can't afford to live anywhere in the city in a way some areas in the suburbs are being transformed.  You basically have the upper middle class areas outside of Manhattan, the upper class/upper middle class areas in the suburbs, the dirty poor areas in the suburbs, and the upper class/upper middle class areas in Manhattan, save the poor areas (i.e. housing projects).

I'm not denying it but at the same time, plenty of parents shelter their kids here in Riverdale and take them on the express bus to private schools in Manhattan, as they can afford to do it and have no problem spending the money. I see quite a few of them on the BxM1 and BxM2 in the morning in their uniforms, and if they are too little, the parents will take them to the city via the express bus.  The private schools are first class here in Riverdale and are some of the most expensive not only in New York, but in the entire country (i.e. Riverdale Country School and Horace Mann) with yearly tuition costing $40k in some cases, but the public schools are nearby down the hill, and they aren't nearly as good.  I overheard one kid asking his mother why he couldn't go to school in the area, and his mother stated that he couldn't go to the schools down the hill because they weren't good, so he she was taking him to school in the city.

On a side note I met some Stuyvesant school kids who commuted via metro-north and the subway to school they lived in Westchester county.

Yes I'm sure the MTA does not make monetary gain from student metrocards but for a different reason: The NYDOE does not pay for the cards even though they are a city agency fully funded by federal city and state tax dollars. The MTA does. Right out of fare collection revenue and I imagine written off as operation costs.

For that reason I dont see NICE being able to pull this off either, unless Nassau County foots the bill.

The MTA had school bus routes back in the LIB days they were all axed in 2010 though but they carried decent loads back in the day.

On a side note I met some Stuyvesant school kids who commuted via metro-north and the subway to school they lived in Westchester county.

The MTA had school bus routes back in the LIB days they were all axed in 2010 though but they carried decent loads back in the day.

It was N65, N66 and N67 buses which run school days.

I forgot  to take picture of N67 bus because bus was sitting there with NOT IN SERVICE.

Archived