Sandisk Releases 512GB SecureDigital (SDXC) Card

CenSin

It's been a while since SecureDigital memory cards have gone up in size. Back in September 2012, Lexar announced the world's first 256GB SDXC card, and then just a few months ago, PNY released their own 256GB SDXC card becoming one of the two major producers of 256GB SDXC cards.

Today, Sandisk has come out with a 512GB card even though the rest of the competition is still producing cards only a quarter of the size. SAMSUNG, for example, has never released any cards larger than 64GB, and Kingston has been comfortable topping out at 128GB.

Read about it here:

Sooner or later, you'd think flash drives would die out and SD cards take over?

I've read the same comment on a number of forums. The thing is, the SecureDigital form factor is just to small to compete with SSDs or even USB thumb drives. USB thumb drives, have some extra design freedoms that allow more NAND dies and better controller chips. SSDs have even more. A lot of compromises go into designing these cards.

Hmmm... thats a thought. Flash drives becoming obsolete. It may take a while but I wouldnt be suprised if the technology dies out in say the next ten years due to its vunerabilities.

My goodness, $800 dollars for a SD card?

It would be useful from a techie point of view, you can keep several images of different operating systems and diagnostics on one card for troubleshooting. Aside from that the only way I see this useful from the consumer end is if they shoot alot of videos using the camcorder or is heavy into photography (on the photography end of the multimedia industry wit would be a bit of an overkill), but thats about it.

Well come to think of it it might be useful on the multimedia end with the larger media groups and the press.

Has anyone noticed that SanDisk is releasing 256GB and 512GB cards simultaneously? It has been late to the 256GB card market for 2 years, and now it suddenly leapfrogs ahead of everyone. In February 2014, they were the first to come out with a 128GB MicroSDXC card while everyone else was still selling 64GB cards. It was only last week that Lexar became the second to come out with one of those. Looks like 2014 is a good year for SanDisk.

They mention nothing about the new 256GB cards, but apparently, even their 256GB cards are only up for preorder! Here are the SKUs listed on their website:

128GB

• SDSDXP-128G-A46 (Americas)
  • SDSDXPA-128G-G46 (Global)

256GB

• SDSDXP-256G-A46 (Americas)
  • SDSDXPA-256G-G46 (Global)

512GB

• SDSDXP-512G-A46 (Americas)
  • SDSDXPA-512G-G46 (Global)

Hmmm... thats a thought. Flash drives becoming obsolete. It may take a while but I wouldnt be suprised if the technology dies out in say the next ten years due to its vunerabilities.

I doubt USB flash drives will ever become obsolete. There are inherent vulnerabilities in any technology. You can only use good judgement to combat such threats. Who's to say that a can of soda being brought into an airport isn't a complete bomb with all the parts assembled behind the Coca Cola façade?

My goodness, $800 dollars for a SD card?

It would be useful from a techie point of view, you can keep several images of different operating systems and diagnostics on one card for troubleshooting. Aside from that the only way I see this useful from the consumer end is if they shoot alot of videos using the camcorder or is heavy into photography (on the photography end of the multimedia industry wit would be a bit of an overkill), but thats about it.

Well come to think of it it might be useful on the multimedia end with the larger media groups and the press.

For $800, it's only going to be used by the time-constrained professionals shooting RAW+JPEG and videos. I've gone through long hikes in places with a heavy camera, and I swear I hate the annoyance of having to change batteries or memory cards while moving about. But, at $800, this isn't for me nor for any ordinary consumer. PNY's 256GB card retails for as little as $100 (and some claim $80 when on sale). One of these 512GB cards could buy you around 2TB worth of storage in PNY cards.

I don't understand why these things don't just replace SSD's in laptops, and also Flash Drives

Most likely because of the price tag, as solid state drives or hard disk drives used currently are less costly to manufacture. To add, flash drives are in fact SSDs.

What I meant to say is that with electronics in general, after its introduced to the market, over time, as the manufacturer steps up production the retail cost of the product goes down. Therefore if the new SD 512GBs sells, the prices will gradually begin to drop.

Thats how it works... I think that was the point...

What I meant to say is that with electronics in general, after its introduced to the market, over time, as the manufacturer steps up production the retail cost of the product goes down. Therefore if the new SD 512GBs sells, the prices will gradually begin to drop.

Thats how it works... I think that was the point...

In a few years well be using these in cameras.

Anyway, multiple 16GB SD cards seems much more efficient than a single external HD.

Multiple? You better have some 10 slot SD card reader to be efficient unless you'd rather take the time to eject and insert the SD cards. a single large HD will always be more efficient than multiple cards.

Multiple? You better have some 10 slot SD card reader to be efficient unless you'd rather take the time to eject and insert the SD cards. a single large HD will always be more efficient than multiple cards.

I understand and I see how hard it is for a big reader. Anyway, one more question, why are SD cards so cheap?

I understand and I see how hard it is for a big reader. Anyway, one more question, why are SD cards so cheap?

I typed up a pretty long paragraph a few days ago only to delete it. I think it's best explained this way:

Solid state drives (SSD) are the best way to take advantage of flash technology through parallelism amongst multiple internal memory chips.

• Faster interfaces
  • Performant quality controllers
  • High quality, performant memory chips
  • Many memory chips to exploit parallelism for speed

Universal Serial Bus (USB) flash drives can be as good as an SSD or worse than a typical SD.

• Middling interface speeds
  • Varying quality of controllers
  • Varying quality of memory chips
  • Varying quantity of memory chips

SecureDigital (SD) cards are compact solid state devices much like an SSD, but using less-powerful controllers and lower-quality, lower-quantity memory chips.

• Slow interface speeds
  • Slow controllers
  • Lower-quality memory chips than SSDs
  • Fewer memory chips internally due to space constraints

One wonders when Lexar will release their 512GB cards given that Lexar is a direct competitor to SanDisk, and was the first to introduce a 256GB card two years ago. If Moore's Law is followed, we should be further ahead, seeing 1TB cards in less than a year. SAMSUNG is in the best position to do this and more given that they are the only one mass-producing high-density V-NAND right now, while the rest of the competition are only demolishing their factories to make way for V-NAND production facilities; I'm surprised SAMSUNG chooses only to make 64GB cards. Lexar even came out with a high speed, 64GB, UHS II, Class 3, SDXC card capable of 300MB/s yesterday, putting SAMSUNG in an awkward position with its product line: no high-end cards, but plenty of low-end and average cards competing in an already-crowded market.

Thanks for clarifying! You're sure smart in the field of tech man! :D

Why, thank you. :)

• 1 month later...

Kingston has just released their new 256GB SDXC cards and 128GB MicroSDXC cards. With the addition of these cards, there are now 4 major competitors providing cards at this capacity, closing the years-long gap where Lexar was the only option with a price of around $400 per card. The price of 256GB SDXC cards have dropped significantly since PNY first introduced theirs. Now they are offered by Lexar, PNY, Sandisk, and Kingston. Hopefully, this will pressure other competitors into making higher capacity offerings, namely SAMSUNG which would most definitely produce the highest-quality cards.

http://techgage.com/news/kingston-launches-class-10-128gb-microsd-and-256gb-sd-cards/

I sure could use one of these cards... don't know where I'll get $430 (including tax). I have a lot of movies and cartoons spread across hard drives right now and I'd rather be able to watch them without plugging an external drive in... I had one go bad on me already.

PNY's 256GB SDXC card costs $110. I'm pretty sure Kingston's will be around the same price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Boy, the progress of technology never slows. SanDisk unveiled a 200GB MicroSDXC card in March 2015 saying it was the best it could muster since 256GB was too challenging. But just less than 2 weeks ago, a relatively unknown company came out announcing a 512GB MicroSDXC card. That’s the largest full-sized SDXC card SanDisk has to offer crammed into a MicroSDXC size! And the  SanDisk 512GB SDXC card only came out in September.

http://www.slashgear.com/microdia-has-a-512gb-microsd-card-you-probably-cant-afford-03386696/

Archived