LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Zander88 said:

Just to have an idea, roughly how long have you ladies and gents waited from the open house to the S&D test? 

So far in my experience:

June 3 - Open House

July 13 - S&D Overview

August 17 - S&D Exam

September 19 - Notification that I passed and interview scheduled

October 2 - Interview

December 7 - still waiting for any official word on the next step of the process...

On 12/7/2019 at 2:21 PM, BrotherOne said:

So far in my experience:

June 3 - Open House

July 13 - S&D Overview

August 17 - S&D Exam

October 2 - Interview

December 7 - still waiting for any official word on the next step of the process...

Thanks for the excellent timeline BrotherOne. Much appreciated. I know that not everyone's will look the same but it gives a general idea on what to expect.

My open house was November 12th. 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:21 PM, BrotherOne said:

So far in my experience:

June 3 - Open House

July 13 - S&D Overview

August 17 - S&D Exam

October 2 - Interview

Great timeline, I didn’t think I remembered all the dates but when you put your mind to it, it comes lol.

My open house was in April and my interview in June (S&D was in between those months lol).  Phase 1 began at the end of September and just took the exam on November 2.  Beginning Phase 2 this Wednesday December 11th.

Not sure how many classes in the coming year, mostly likely 4 but it depends on the need, but if you passed your S&D, a phase 1 invite should be near.  Good luck guys!

2 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

Great timeline, I didn’t think I remembered all the dates but when you put your mind to it, it comes lol.

My open house was in April and my interview in June (S&D was in between those months lol).  Phase 1 began at the end of September and just took the exam on November 2.  Beginning Phase 2 this Wednesday December 11th.

Not sure how many classes in the coming year, mostly likely 4 but it depends on the need, but if you passed your S&D, a phase 1 invite should be near.  Good luck guys!

There’s only 5 instructors. 5 classes a year. 

15 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

This hiatus between the interview and Phase 1 notification is killing me. How much notification do you get before Phase 1 begins? Congratulations on starting Phase 2 tomorrow. Good luck, Trainee.

Edited by BrotherOne
Addition made

2 hours ago, BrotherOne said:

This hiatus between the interview and Phase 1 notification is killing me. How much notification do you get before Phase 1 begins? Congratulations on starting Phase 2 tomorrow. Good luck, Trainee.

My interview was 6/20 notification for phase one was 8/18. Roughly two months. 

On 12/9/2019 at 2:05 PM, Zander88 said:

Thanks for the excellent timeline BrotherOne. Much appreciated. I know that not everyone's will look the same but it gives a general idea on what to expect.

My open house was November 12th. 

Finally read through all 76 pages of the thread. My open house was on Nov. 12 as well, waiting on the SD email as well.

The other day I was waiting on a station platform and I could see a signal in the distance. It was green over red. I thought to myself, "hey, I know what that means - Clear, proceed - Easy peasy." Then it changed to yellow over red. I thought to myself, "I know what that means too - Restr...wait no..uh. Hold on a sec...APPROACH. Dammit!" Gotta hit the books. I haven't looked at them since August. Time for a review.

I still haven't heard anything on the next Phase 1 class. Starting to get a little anxious about that.

6 hours ago, mpalacino said:

hi all! I have 2 questions:

What time and how long are the hours for phase 1 on Saturdays?

What is the schedule like for phase 2 and are we allowed to take off?

Thanks!!

Phase 1 is Wed 5:30-9:30 (usually at Hillside)

Sat 6:30-2:30 (usually out East-Babylon most likely.)

Phase 2 don’t plan on getting any time off.  If you are planning anything get the insurance in case you get the call.  

2 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

Phase 1 is Wed 5:30-9:30 (usually at Hillside)

Sat 6:30-2:30 (usually out East-Babylon most likely.)

Phase 2 don’t plan on getting any time off.  If you are planning anything get the insurance in case you get the call.  

ok, thank you! Just curious, what is the schedule like during phase 2?

54 minutes ago, mpalacino said:

For us is has been M-F 6:30-2:30 but subject to change depending on the material to be covered.  You aren’t in class too long and will be given a schedule to work with engineers on different branches.  

1 hour ago, mpalacino said:

Depending on who you get as an instructor they may try to keep you near home as much as practical. You'll be out doing regular jobs broken up by a week of training here and there (at Hillside or Morris park) around 3 months in. In the middle of the 5th/early 6th month you get pulled from the road to do Interim testing for about 2 weeks. Pass or fired, so don't take it lightly and keep a good pace on the studying, you'll find you dont have to stare at the text for hours, but dont get comfortable and let it gather dust. You'll get randomly pulled into class to make sure you're progressing, some of the scores get reported to HR and if you dont appear to be taking it seriously, expect to have an uncomfortable meeting with HR and the Department  Chief. 

6 hours ago, mpalacino said:

you also have weekends off in phase 2. and have an additional 11 training days you can use on the weekends at straight time to practice. 

Edited by drenyce311

On 12/26/2019 at 4:50 PM, Jsunflyguy said:

Depending on who you get as an instructor they may try to keep you near home as much as practical. You'll be out doing regular jobs broken up by a week of training here and there (at Hillside or Morris park) around 3 months in. In the middle of the 5th/early 6th month you get pulled from the road to do Interim testing for about 2 weeks. Pass or fired, so don't take it lightly and keep a good pace on the studying, you'll find you dont have to stare at the text for hours, but dont get comfortable and let it gather dust. You'll get randomly pulled into class to make sure you're progressing, some of the scores get reported to HR and if you dont appear to be taking it seriously, expect to have an uncomfortable meeting with HR and the Department  Chief. 

Thank you for all of this info!