LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All,

I just got an email from the LIRR for the Locomotive engineer trainee position. Can any one give any information/ tips of what i need to know. Also what i Should expect to get this position?

Regards,

Vinny

Expect the unexpected and its a long road to get into just the beginning. If you don't have great study habits don't waste your time. Good Luck with the entrance exam and be specific when filling out the application. Don't leave nothing out.

Hey vinny, was the email an invitation for an interview? I'm curious because I applied on the 17th, but I haven't heard from them thus far..I was under the impression that it usually takes a few months before getting a reply.

The email is an invitation to the open house. You have to pass the entrance cognitive test before you are ask for an interview. They don't invite all applicants. But also check your garbage mailbox

Hey vinny, hope you don't mind me asking what your background is. I'd like to get an idea as to who the LIRR draws from its applicant pool. 

@ LIRR 154: Stupid question(s), but is the open house invitation only for select applicants or is it open to everyone and if you have not received an invitation yet, is that an indication that you will not be given the chance to take the entrance exam either? Closing date is tomorrow, I wish they would just tell you people if they have not been selected like everyone else instead of making them linger in doubt...Thanks in advance, clearly I do not take rejection well...

Hey vinny, hope you don't mind me asking what your background is. I'd like to get an idea as to who the LIRR draws from its applicant pool. 

@ LIRR 154: Stupid question(s), but is the open house invitation only for select applicants or is it open to everyone and if you have not received an invitation yet, is that an indication that you will not be given the chance to take the entrance exam either? Closing date is tomorrow, I wish they would just tell you people if they have not been selected like everyone else instead of making them linger in doubt...Thanks in advance, clearly I do not take rejection well...

Open house is for applicants invited only. Chances are you might not have been chosen. But I read your thread in the other RR.net forum and you seem you have a good background as far as education goes. I would keep applying to other positions as well as electrical engineering positions. Not everybody including myself got in the RR first try. Just keep applying and good luck.

People who have worked in jobs that run 24/7 ,weekends and holidays are what the RR is attracted too. A majority including myself came from the airline industry. Locomotive Engineer is not a job for everybody that goes for any job in the RR. If you are a young guy who enjoys weekends with your friends or holidays with your family is very important to you. The RR isn't for you. Social life doesn't exist at the RR . Now IT jobs and most Engineering jobs run differently where its a likely a Mon-Fri schedule.Just some things to think about.

@ LIRR 154: I feared as much, just wanted to confirm my suspicions. As far as the lifestyle goes, I definitely prefer something more erratic, as you have suggested with most jobs in the RR and social life, at least for now is secondary to a well paying job...all in all this culture seems quite attractive especially for younger people who do not have many personal commitments. Nonetheless, thank you for taking the time to read and answer my questions. 

Polymechie

yeah if those that applied are already being called then i pretty much feel screwed already. my background without going into to much detail is a bachelors degree/5+yrs management experience/currently employed with  nyc transit as a train operator/perfect criminal and ticket record/perfect credit/trade skills in construction, carpentry, auto repair, and i'm a minority.  so for anyone that thinks they don't have preferential treatment for whoever is sadly mistaken (so far as my experience has been).

i have been applying for over 3 years and have never even been invited to open house/initial test, easily over 10 applications for all types of positions.

yeah if those that applied are already being called then i pretty much feel screwed already. my background without going into to much detail is a bachelors degree/5+yrs management experience/currently employed with nyc transit as a train operator/perfect criminal and ticket record/perfect credit/trade skills in construction, carpentry, auto repair, and i'm a minority. so for anyone that thinks they don't have preferential treatment for whoever is sadly mistaken (so far as my experience has been).

i have been applying for over 3 years and have never even been invited to open house/initial test, easily over 10 applications for all types of positions.

Its kind of weird but I never met anyone who came from Transit in the RR. I met many airline employees , a few CO's but no one from NYC Transit. I have a friend who is a BO and he gets the same results.I think much as has to do with you currently working for Transit. I don't see no other problem with your background. Edited by LIRR 154

Hello PolymechieAlum,

To answer your question, I have over 7 years experience with an airline, I have an automotive technology certificate from a trade school.

In regards to the cognitive test, what should i brush up on? Any suggestions?

Regards,

VInny

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I finally got the call after the years of applying to attend the open house, initial testing. Question;it says to list traffic tickets, does anyone know how far back I should go and do they consider equipment violations as having to get listed.

• 1 month later...

Got the invitation via email the day after Christmas for the open house. Excited and look forward to the testing. Been applying for the last 3 years now. A little history on my background. i'm 32 years old. I have a degree in Architecture. Currently work the overnight shift as a Technical Lead Coordinator for private financial firm (ROUND BLUE LOGO). for the last 10 years. I had plenty of moving violations back when I was younger. Nothing major. Tinted windows, muffler ticket, bad tailight or head light. All paid. No speeding or stop signs. I had a 2 traffice device tickets when I was 19. One for ezpass lane. Did'nt realize I was in the lane at the verrazano bridge and no left turn when I was doing a delivery for a previous employer (it was the first time i ever drove to the city). Been pretty good. so far. I got a bus lane ticket in 2013. Two weeks prior to the incident, they changed the signage. Meanwhile I drove the same route for the last 5-6 years. Well At least thats what the officer said in court, When the judge asked him if its true. Still paid the ticket though. I know I made my fair share of mistakes in the past, I have a family now and have matured. Good luck guys!

Got the invitation via email the day after Christmas for the open house. Excited and look forward to the testing. Been applying for the last 3 years now. A little history on my background. i'm 32 years old. I have a degree in Architecture. Currently work the overnight shift as a Technical Lead Coordinator for private financial firm (ROUND BLUE LOGO). for the last 10 years. I had plenty of moving violations back when I was younger. Nothing major. Tinted windows, muffler ticket, bad tailight or head light. All paid. No speeding or stop signs. I had a 2 traffice device tickets when I was 19. One for ezpass lane. Did'nt realize I was in the lane at the verrazano bridge and no left turn when I was doing a delivery for a previous employer (it was the first time i ever drove to the city). Been pretty good. so far. I got a bus lane ticket in 2013. Two weeks prior to the incident, they changed the signage. Meanwhile I drove the same route for the last 5-6 years. Well At least thats what the officer said in court, When the judge asked him if its true. Still paid the ticket though. I know I made my fair share of mistakes in the past, I have a family now and have matured. Good luck guys!

Good luck! Its good career. Be very clear about those violations. They could be a problem.

Reading through the forum. I see that some got the S&D booklet the same day. What are the chances that they don't give it out that day?? I only ask because the interviewer said "if all is well and you pass the background check, you will get a email inviting you back for the S&D!". I replied "thank you very much and you have yourself a great day". Then I saw about 2 people that stuck around after the they went before. Not sure if they were waiting for the train or just waiting to get picked up. But nervous and excited that this part is over with. I know this is just the beginning. Interviewer said " don't be nervous. You made it further than most"

Reading through the forum. I see that some got the S&D booklet the same day. What are the chances that they don't give it out that day?? I only ask because the interviewer said "if all is well and you pass the background check, you will get a email inviting you back for the S&D!". I replied "thank you very much and you have yourself a great day". Then I saw about 2 people that stuck around after the they went before. Not sure if they were waiting for the train or just waiting to get picked up. But nervous and excited that this part is over with. I know this is just the beginning. Interviewer said " don't be nervous. You made it further than most"

You receive the booklet when your invited to the overview. Just keep your eye on your email both regular and junk mail.

Thanks LIRR154. Just got the email today for pursuing the background check. Very thorough. Crossing fingers. If I got this email, then that means I did well in the interview. Crossing fingers. Thanks!

I just finished filling out the information for the background check. I went to the open house on 01/12/2015. The gentleman that interviewed me said that based on how you answered those questions during the interview, you would be recommended to move on to the next step, so you did well. He also told me that the whole process is a bit backed up and the background check phase could take longer than expected to process. He anticipated that the selected individuals from the open house I went to would probably start the S & D course around March. I also didn't get a S & D book to study, but I believe we were told a few times during the overview that we will receive that book once we pass the background check and are selected to participate in the S & D course.

Hey whats going on! I was in the same open house as you. I was the last one to show up. Almost didn't make it. My train was supposed to leave the Far Rockaway station at 7:49am. I was there at 7:40am. Train never showed up due to equipment malfunction. Train left at 805am and the next train out of jamaica to hillside was at 906am. Ended telling the wife to pick me up and were driving over there. I was sitting on the right tables 4th row. When they called out for interviews, I went 4 or 5th. Not sure. I just filled out my background check forms on 1/14/2015. I just logged in to check and it says "10 of 13 searches completed". I had to call the place because I forgot to add my current managers email address. Good luck!

Yeah I'm there. No room on the Yardmasters roster right now so they are allowing me to go for Engine Service. Quick question do you know why they are hiring so many Engineers.

to be honest im not sure. the roster is really slow for the low seniority guys. new AC class was in orientation yesterday and hiring more.

Yeah I'm there. No room on the Yardmasters roster right now so they are allowing me to go for Engine Service. Quick question do you know why they are hiring so many Engineers.

Good morning! From what they told us at the Orientation open house. That about 50 will be retiring in the next 2-3 years. Not sure if this is true or not. And that they are on a "HIRING FRENZY"