LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not yet, assuming they're still trying to fill the class

Well I know this wait is normal, spoke to an engineer and he said that his wait was 3 months before he received a phone call. I'm assuming they're waiting for these future exams to gather more candidates. 

Nothing yet; from what I heard there may be a class starting at the end of this month so I'd figure if any of us are in it we may hear next week (assuming they'd let us know two weeks prior to the start of it - that is, if we got in).

Edited by Rogue

For me, it is a bit unsettling to see another job posting for the locomotive engineer position. One would assume we would hear a yes or no before the next job posting?

I got very excited the other day because hr called me but unfortunately it wasn't what I was hoping. Yet from what I think is they wouldn't be asking me for more info if I didn't pass the interview. I did ask when might the next phase 1 class begin and the response was maybe towards the end of the year. It's a very long process. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Hey all. Been following the forum for a few months and decided to join since we are all waiting for responses after the panel interview.

I had my SD test in March and Panel interview in early April.

Was just curious Rogue how you know there may be a class by end of this month?

@Diezel

Heard from a friend of a friend who's in the railroad. But who knows at this point. It seems like all of us have been given different info, and HR themselves don't really know when the next Phase 1 class will be. I had my panel in early March and was told if chosen for Phase 1 the class would begin End of May/Beginning of June. However, no class began last month and no class has begun so far this month from what I've heard. podh1011 had the panel in January and was told the end of the summer. Biggburns was just told end of the year. They could be trying to fill out a few classes (not just one), or perhaps they're waiting on additional funding from the State. Could be a number of reasons. If anyone who is following this thread knows anything please chime in - any and all info is appreciated!!

I'm surprised it's taking this long for people who had interviews in January. I was reading up from last year when Dreynce only waited 2 months. I guess he maybe just happened to be in at the right time. Let's cross our fingers.

Wow that's awesome. At least someone heard something. Congrats. Did they say when the actual phase 1 was starting? Any other details? Thanks!

Also, I thought the physical and medical was after you pass phase1? Why would they give you those exams if you may not even pass it?

Thanks! Still no info on any classes, just that ilI be notified when they start. As for physical its probably just to make sure people are physically capable before putting them in class. Ill have more info tomorrow after physical

Edited by jd88

How did you guys study and retain this information, The definitions are killing me they seem so long and hard. Can someone give me some tips and let me know how the definition part of the exam was. The signals are easy to learn because they seem very repetitive...

Please email to assist me with tips and ideas OperatorRic@gmail.com

How did you guys study and retain this information, The definitions are killing me they seem so long and hard. Can someone give me some tips and let me know how the definition part of the exam was. The signals are easy to learn because they seem very repetitive...

put them all on index cards and study everyday. it also helps to write them out. if they gave you a practice CD, do that as well. you have to put in the time and just keep at it. believe me studying for the S&D is nothing compared to qualifying or when you get into the program. having a positive attitude helps too. it's just a matter how bad you want the job. good luck.

Index cards...Read the definition a bunch of times, then try and look away and recall the information.  I read up on how to memorize and apparently we memorize better by using our recall ability.  Try and recall a few words at a time then look at the definition when you have to..before you know it, you will remember the whole sentence.  I found it easier to memorize the longer definitions for some reason and I had issues with the short ones, lol.

@jd88

Congrats!! That's awesome, glad to hear you were accepted to Phase 1! How did the physical go yesterday?

I have not heard anything yet, has anyone else?

@OperatorRic it's tough but you literally have to keep going over them over and over again and write them out a couple hundred times. Make flashcards too - flashcards and writing them over and over helped me the most.

@jd88

Congrats!! That's awesome, glad to hear you were accepted to Phase 1! How did the physical go yesterday?

I have not heard anything yet, has anyone else?

@OperatorRic it's tough but you literally have to keep going over them over and over again and write them out a couple hundred times. Make flashcards too - flashcards and writing them over and over helped me the most.

Nothing here.  I emailed HR to get an update.  They stated I was in the "Phase 1 candidate pool" and my application was good for 12 months.  I guess they just pick people from their pool?  Not sure exactly what this means lol.

If they started a whole lottery pool system , I call bs and its not fair to people who put their life on the side to study for 5 weeks. This is new if this is the case. To continue hiring just so you can fill a candidate pool is going to hurt them in the long run. The word will get out and people would not want to apply.I hope this is not the case but if it is , its not a good look. Good luck to everyone..

If they started a whole lottery pool system , I call bs and its not fair to people who put their life on the side to study for 5 weeks. This is new if this is the case. To continue hiring just so you can fill a candidate pool is going to hurt them in the long run. The word will get out and people would not want to apply.I hope this is not the case but if it is , its not a good look. Good luck to everyone..

Couldn't agree more  :( thank you LIRR 154. Hopefully we'll all hear some good news sooner than later.