LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

I just finished filling out the information for the background check. I went to the open house on 01/12/2015. The gentleman that interviewed me said that based on how you answered those questions during the interview, you would be recommended to move on to the next step, so you did well. He also told me that the whole process is a bit backed up and the background check phase could take longer than expected to process. He anticipated that the selected individuals from the open house I went to would probably start the S & D course around March. I also didn't get a S & D book to study, but I believe we were told a few times during the overview that we will receive that book once we pass the background check and are selected to participate in the S & D course.

whats up there bro? The background check is finished and I was able to look at the report. On the top it says "COMPLETE REPORT - CONSIDER". Not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing! What did yours say if its complete. Everything was cleared except driving history when I received the ticket for being in the lane in 2013. I disclosed this information on the application and stated what happened. Hopefully this doesnt render me not an eligible candidate.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whats up there bro? The background check is finished and I was able to look at the report. On the top it says "COMPLETE REPORT - CONSIDER". Not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing! What did yours say if its complete. Everything was cleared except driving history when I received the ticket for being in the lane in 2013. I disclosed this information on the application and stated what happened. Hopefully this doesnt render me not an eligible candidate.

mine said the same thing, hopefully that is a good thing too!!

Hey, does anyone remember what the the starting pay is for Trainee? And what it goes up to and when? Can't find anything on this position, not even a CBA or contract for BLE and the engineers online, to see what the pay/salary is and job protections. And I can't check the job posting on BSC, since it's closed.

It's 70% of the salary the first year. Then it's 80>85>90>95>100% at the 5th year. Train is somewhere in the 20's per hour. If I do get hired and go through all the rigorous training. I'll be breaking even for the first 2 years with my current salary.

PM me I'll give you the exact number from the orientation.

Correction it's 75>80>85>90>100.

A more simpler way to put is. Pass phase 1 and phase 2 become qualified your at 100. Don't pay attention to pay scale , pay attention to passing. Pay scale means nothing in Engine service. Its passing and failing. Edited by LIRR 154

Ok is a drivers license required for this job? I don't have one right now but I don't have any dwi or dui's.

I got the email yesterday to come on the 10th of February .

Just finished my probation at transit. And the drivers license issue wasn't a real big deal as long as I had no dwi dui's .

Can't believe I got the call!

Ok is a drivers license required for this job? I don't have one right now but I don't have any dwi or dui's.

I got the email yesterday to come on the 10th of February .Just finished my probation at transit. And the drivers license issue wasn't a real big deal as long as I had no dwi dui's .Can't believe I got the call!

I got the email yesterday to come on the 10th of February .Just finished my probation at transit. And the drivers license issue wasn't a real big deal as long as I had no dwi dui's .Can't believe I got the call!

Yes you need a valid driving licence.

Thanks for that info, though I wish I could any info on the job protections with this position (layoff clauses, civil servant and such), can't find anything, not even a bargaining agreement!

Also, is it known if you pass (outside of the tests) after serving the 12 months? Or someone needs to sign off on you to be bumped up to Engineer? I see it says a minimum of 12 months, so I wasn't sure if that means you "float" as a Trainee until someone retires or they call you into service as a full rate.

Is the Phase two alone 12 months? Or is 12 months, including the Phase 1 training?

I remember reading in the posting that you jump to the 100% pay scale after completion of Phase training, which is a minimum of 12 months, which helps, because you go from $26.xx to $36.xx, higher if their union gets a contract, which I think might push their hourly up to near $40 perhaps.

Also, the original posting didn't say anything about a driver's license being required, but the initial orientation papers say you need to bring a copy of it. Though I wonder if that's just as a government ID or so.

Edited by JustLok

Just finished my probation at transit. And the drivers license issue wasn't a real big deal as long as I had no dwi dui's .

. Is this for the orientation open house? If this is, then you will take an entrance exam.

Thanks for that info, though I wish I could any info on the job protections with this position (layoff clauses, civil servant and such), can't find anything, not even a bargaining agreement!

Also, is it known if you pass (outside of the tests) after serving the 12 months? Or someone needs to sign off on you to be bumped up to Engineer? I see it says a minimum of 12 months, so I wasn't sure if that means you "float" as a Trainee until someone retires or they call you into service as a full rate.

Is the Phase two alone 12 months? Or is 12 months, including the Phase 1 training?

I remember reading in the posting that you jump to the 100% pay scale after completion of Phase training, which is a minimum of 12 months, which helps, because you go from $26.xx to $36.xx, higher if their union gets a contract, which I think might push their hourly up to near $40 perhaps.

Also, the original posting didn't say anything about a driver's license being required, but the initial orientation papers say you need to bring a copy of it. Though I wonder if that's just as a government ID or so.

Once you finish phase 2 including passing all the finals which 7 days written and verbal plus PC (physical characteristics) related which means you can draw the whole RR . You graduate. Not only are you a qualified Engineer but your also a qualified instructor. Its long and grueling but not impossible.

. Is this for the orientation open house? If this is, then you will take an entrance exam.

Yes it's for the open house. But if I have to have a license at the time of the open house they may not even let me in.

When I put in for the job I don't remember seeing a drivers license as a qualification or did I miss it?

But thanks for the info.......

I'm going anyway. I am looking forward to the training also.

Im looking at the job posting that they gave us from the orientation. It doesn't state anything about the drivers license there. But either way make a copy of your NYS ID (its the same 9 digit number even if you were to get your license)I would get one either way. Also from my personal experience from the cognitive exam, take your time. Do not rush through the questions. Its pretty straight forward. Just read it and look for what they are asking for. I didn't answer all the questions for the Sequence and Punctuation's and format because they don't give you enough time for it. And for the Flow charts they gave 30 minutes to answered. They just want to see how many you can you get right. If you pass then they will interview after the exams are graded. from 41 applicants in the orientation i attended, 10 failed. I overheard one guy say that he answered all the questions. And another guy told him that he failed. Sure enough he did fail. The test is to monitor your logical thinking and how well you follow directions. 

If transit can hire guys with no drivers license to operate their trains. Then maybe LIRR can too. Not sure. Good luck!

Im looking at the job posting that they gave us from the orientation. It doesn't state anything about the drivers license there. But either way make a copy of your NYS ID (its the same 9 digit number even if you were to get your license)I would get one either way. Also from my personal experience from the cognitive exam, take your time. Do not rush through the questions. Its pretty straight forward. Just read it and look for what they are asking for. I didn't answer all the questions for the Sequence and Punctuation's and format because they don't give you enough time for it. And for the Flow charts they gave 30 minutes to answered. They just want to see how many you can you get right. If you pass then they will interview after the exams are graded. from 41 applicants in the orientation i attended, 10 failed. I overheard one guy say that he answered all the questions. And another guy told him that he failed. Sure enough he did fail. The test is to monitor your logical thinking and how well you follow directions. 

If transit can hire guys with no drivers license to operate their trains. Then maybe LIRR can too. Not sure. Good luck!

Transit and LIRR are two different worlds. Don't let the MTA umbrella fool ya. We here get watched by FRA and NY state IG.Remember LIRR employees are state and federal employees.

Transit and LIRR are two different worlds. Don't let the MTA umbrella fool ya. We here get watched by FRA and NY state IG.Remember LIRR employees are state and federal employees.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure. Well then he better hop to it and get his DL ASAP.

I read the job requirements also and nowhere in it did it mention or state that a drivers license was a requisite requirement for the job. I know the NYCT, LIRR, and Metro North are different worlds. But if it were a requirement then LIRR would have put it in the job announcement on line . I am in the process of taking care of my DL.

I read the job requirements also and nowhere in it did it mention or state that a drivers license was a requisite requirement for the job. I know the NYCT, LIRR, and Metro North are different worlds. But if it were a requirement then LIRR would have put it in the job announcement on line . I am in the process of taking care of my DL.

Think about it everything isn't going to be in plain view. One record the RR looks at for in hiring engineers is driving record also they are going to want to know do you have reliable transportation. Trust me the RR runs from Penn to Montauk and other outer eastern areas. You are going to have to drive to certain areas and can't rely on the trains always. Its 24/7 7 days a week operation. Get your license as soon as possible if they allow you to move on. Trust me I'm an employee and I know.

Think about it everything isn't going to be in plain view. One record the RR looks at for in hiring engineers is driving record also they are going to want to know do you have reliable transportation. Trust me the RR runs from Penn to Montauk and other outer eastern areas. You are going to have to drive to certain areas and can't rely on the trains always. Its 24/7 7 days a week operation. Get your license as soon as possible if they allow you to move on. Trust me I'm an employee and I know.

Thanks for that

I have reliable transportation. I work nights, holidays now in my current line of work. My records been clean since 2006. I had one suspension for failure to provide insurance. But once I was able to obtain the letter, it was returned 3 months later. I've gotten traffic tickets from 2006. All of those we're dismissed. My MVR report showed no tickets except for the most recent one in 2013 which I disclosed. But I'm concerned that I will not get a call back because of my license. I did disclosed all the information. Even though everything in the background checked said CLEAR. We'll see if I get a call back. Just crossing fingers.

Edited by drenyce311

Hey, does anyone remember what the the starting pay is for Trainee? And what it goes up to and when? Can't find anything on this position, not even a CBA or contract for BLE and the engineers online, to see what the pay/salary is and job protections. And I can't check the job posting on BSC, since it's closed.

Here is the current BLE&T agreement: 3.thelirrtoday.com/uploads/2/9/2/5/29251715/ble03074-22-10.pdf

The BLE&T recently reached a tentative deal on a new agreement, but it has yet to be approved by the MTA Board.

Edited by lirr42

Yes you need a valid driving licence. [sic]

In order to be considered for employment in the United States, you have to establish your identity and work eligibility.

There are some documents that establish both identity and employment authorization (i.e. passport, passport card, perminent resident card, etc.)  These items are typically defined as "List A".

If you don't have one of those items, you could also present two separate items, one that establishes identity (driver's license, state ID, school ID, voter's registration card, US Military Card, Military Dependent's ID, Native American tribal document, Canadian Drivers License; "List B") and one that establishes employment authorization (i.e. social security card, certificate of birth abroad issued by the DoS, certificate of Report of Birth issued by the DoS, an original or certified copy of your birth bearing an official seal, a Native American tribal document, a US Citizen ID Card; "List C")

You either have to have one thing from List A, or one thing from List B and List C to be considered for employment.  The most common method people prove this is by presenting their driver's license and social security card, so unless it explicitly states that you must have a driver's license in the listing, you just have to present a document that establishes identity and employment authorization.

In order to be considered for employment in the United States, you have to establish your identity and work eligibility.

There are some documents that establish both identity and employment authorization (i.e. passport, passport card, perminent resident card, etc.)  These items are typically defined as "List A".

If you don't have one of those items, you could also present two separate items, one that establishes identity (driver's license, state ID, school ID, voter's registration card, US Military Card, Military Dependent's ID, Native American tribal document, Canadian Drivers License; "List B") and one that establishes employment authorization (i.e. social security card, certificate of birth abroad issued by the DoS, certificate of Report of Birth issued by the DoS, an original or certified copy of your birth bearing an official seal, a Native American tribal document, a US Citizen ID Card; "List C")

You either have to have one thing from List A, or one thing from List B and List C to be considered for employment.  The most common method people prove this is by presenting their driver's license and social security card, so unless it explicitly states that you must have a driver's license in the listing, you just have to present a document that establishes identity and employment authorization.

I have a brand new NYS ID that I got from the dmv. And am working on getting my license back. Thanks for all the feedback.