LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/6/2018 at 8:44 AM, AirBrake said:

Just got the email for the S&D overview, which will be held on March 17 (Happy St. Paddy's Day). Pretty excited about it!

Is anyone else did get an invitation for the s&d overview? I did pass the test and the interview but I did not receive any invitation email so far. This does not sound good for me.

26 minutes ago, parfait said:

Is anyone else did get an invitation for the s&d overview? I did pass the test and the interview but I did not receive any invitation email so far. This does not sound good for me.

What date was your test/interview on? How do you know that you passed the interview portion?

16 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

What date was your test/interview on? How do you know that you passed the interview portion?

My test/interview was January 17. The lady told me that I’m good for the test and interview, that they will contact me for the S&D overview. That is how I know I passed.

1 hour ago, parfait said:

My test/interview was January 17. The lady told me that I’m good for the test and interview, that they will contact me for the S&D overview. That is how I know I passed.

Oh ok. If they told you that you passed then i'm sure they'll get in touch. I was just making sure that you weren't in the same test as me in early December and they still haven't called you. After my interview that day, I never asked if I passed or failed the interview. He just said if you passed, we'll send you an E-mail within a couple months. They sent me an E-mail I think 7 days later with the invite to the S&D overview.  Good Luck.

10 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

Oh ok. If they told you that you passed then i'm sure they'll get in touch. I was just making sure that you weren't in the same test as me in early December and they still haven't called you. After my interview that day, I never asked if I passed or failed the interview. He just said if you passed, we'll send you an E-mail within a couple months. They sent me an E-mail I think 7 days later with the invite to the S&D overview.  Good Luck.

Thank you man! Hopefully you re right.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late response.

Without a doubt its very intimidating to commit oneself to remember pages of information that was written as far back as the 1800's verbatim. However after a while, you will figure this out yourself it is manageable as long as you keep up with the studying. What I mean is everybody develops their own system in the program (Phase II) and after a while of being bombarded with seemingly random railroad jargon certain it starts to make sense. Like switches are protected by signals so once you draw a particular track on the main with a switch you best assure there is a signal protecting. You will also realize that railroad signals have set sequence that hint the next signal and so on. The bottom line is try to take it day by day and you will succeeded. Also plan on not having a social life while your in the program.

I noticed some ask a question about certification pay. Yes Engineers do get 10 dollars for each day worked. So when your sick or on vacation you do not get that pay. You also dont get the 10 dollars twice if you doubled in one day either.(A double is when you start to work on the day your already completed a shift).

7 hours ago, LS2015 said:

The 1st week it felt weird being by yourself in the cab. 

Awesome info. I just took the S&D test a few days ago. Any insight on the 6 week program at KO and Hillside? Any way to prepare, or honestly any kind of info on it would be much appreciated! Thanks 

hello all first time posting on here what I have read has been very helpful. I was in the open house on this past January 17 I past the congitive and got interviewed about 2 weeks ago I got the invitation to the s&d overview to come in this up coming March 17. Now I just got a letter in the mail stating that the locomotive engineer position has been filled and to disregard the s&d email and that they would contact me if the position re opens I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what the out come was of it . 

On 2/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, AirBrake said:

For the guys who are qualified and on the job: How bad were the nerves your first time taking a train out by yourself?

My first day I picked a diesel job. Went out to montauk. First trip out there it was no problem. Late night. Nobody on. Then on the peak train on the way back. I started panicking once I started seeing packed platforms. “Holy shit. This is for real. I’m by myself!”  Everyone has a different comfort level. I got comfortable and confident with the equipment in a few months. Seen and done a lot of stuff in the first year qualified. Heard some people are not comfortable and it takes about 1-5 Years. 

On 2/24/2018 at 3:03 PM, Mike199 said:

hello all first time posting on here what I have read has been very helpful. I was in the open house on this past January 17 I past the congitive and got interviewed about 2 weeks ago I got the invitation to the s&d overview to come in this up coming March 17. Now I just got a letter in the mail stating that the locomotive engineer position has been filled and to disregard the s&d email and that they would contact me if the position re opens I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what the out come was of it . 

I would call to find out just to have a definite answer. 

14 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

There was a guy here who went all the way to interview waited almost a year and not a word. So he kept studying only to get a thank you applying, you have not been selected. Sucks. Who knows what they’re looking for. 

Yup it happened to me . They turned me down for Engineer but hired me as a Conductor. Go figure. 

6 hours ago, LIRR 154 said:

It’s not worth trying to figure out what they’re looking for in a candidate for Engineer or any craft. Best thing is , is to be patient and stay on top of it , plus go with the flow. Most importantly, STUDY!! When you get to that point.

It's so true. It's a combination of your background and what information they get from your tests/interviews. There is no figuring it out. 

For the person who had a test date for the S&D but afterwards got a letter stating otherwise, i'd definitely call HR to see what's up with that. I passed my S&D test very recently and they told us that they NEED engineers. Needless to say, i'm still studying everyday and can still recite it all verbatim. Good luck all.