LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

On 6/1/2018 at 2:09 PM, handsom4life said:

Same here passed the exam had the interview, patiently waiting for next step. Pleasantly surprised how many passed the written.

Don’t be surprised. Out that whole group about 10-12 will pass the S&D test 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, republic said:

Out of those 10-12, how many will typically make it through Phase 1?  Phase 2?

From my experience (if you read through the pages) 31 were invited to S&D 19 showed up for the test and only 9 passed. All 9 were my classmates. My phase 1 was a mixture of 3 different S&D’s. 2 passed the previews S&D before mines and 1 passed before that S&D. Usually 13 get called for phase 1 and only 10-12 spots depending what HR wants to do with that class. Phase 2 depends how determined you are. If your slacking you ain’t making the cut. They’ll be happy if they get 6-7 guys to graduate. 

On 6/6/2018 at 6:41 PM, Train123 said:

@CarlosMQ what’s up? Have you heard anything back as of yet ?

@MistaFISH how’s phase 2 going? Is it about the same amount of work as phase 1 ? 

Yea they called me Wednesday to schedule the pre medical, which you need to pass to move on to phase l. I just took it today and passed, I’m just waiting for HR to email me confirmation that I passed and confirmation on phase l, when HR called me to scheduled the pre medical they told me phase l starts June 27. I hope you got a call, good luck to everyone and for the ones that will be in my phase l class see you there. The time has come for us to study study and give it all we have.

Edited by CarlosMQ

On 6/6/2018 at 11:53 AM, kev2112 said:

Any body from the 6/1 open house called for S and D yet?

Be patient. It took them about a month to reach out after the January open house to send invites for the S&D overview, which wasn’t until the middle of March.

4 weeks of studying and I am pretty comfortable with the material. In my opinion the definitions is the harder part. A lot of them are long sentences, the vocabulary is difficult and many phrases are inconsistent. Remembering what is plural and the whole order of it requires a lot of repetition. Il be testing myself all week till Saturday. Good luck to everyone in this process.

21 hours ago, flydog said:

4 weeks of studying and I am pretty comfortable with the material. In my opinion the definitions is the harder part. A lot of them are long sentences, the vocabulary is difficult and many phrases are inconsistent. Remembering what is plural and the whole order of it requires a lot of repetition. Il be testing myself all week till Saturday. Good luck to everyone in this process.

I agree. Personally, I think the method of testing for the definitions, the verbatim memorization of close to 100 multi sentence definitions and indications is ridiculous, and isn’t necessarily a true indication of how good someone will be at the job. They’re missing out on a lot of good people who got a word or two wrong here and there, or referred to a “locomotive” as an “engine”. 

1 hour ago, Bluto1899 said:

I agree. Personally, I think the method of testing for the definitions, the verbatim memorization of close to 100 multi sentence definitions and indications is ridiculous, and isn’t necessarily a true indication of how good someone will be at the job. They’re missing out on a lot of good people who got a word or two wrong here and there, or referred to a “locomotive” as an “engine”. 

Nope.. it’s been that way for years . You either make the cut by putting time in too get it down or you don’t.

So, the passing rate for phase 2 is approximately 60%.  If someone makes it through phase 1, is it safe to say that they have the skills to also make it through phase 2?  Trying to figure out why the failure rate is so high high for phase 2.  I know that some candidates simply can't hack operating a locomotive, while others make find the life style unbearable (although I would hope they knew this going in).   But is PC, special instructions, air brake so much harder than BoR that it blows phase 2 candidates out of the water?

55 minutes ago, republic said:

So, the passing rate for phase 2 is approximately 60%.  If someone makes it through phase 1, is it safe to say that they have the skills to also make it through phase 2?  Trying to figure out why the failure rate is so high high for phase 2.  I know that some candidates simply can't hack operating a locomotive, while others make find the life style unbearable (although I would hope they knew this going in).   But is PC, special instructions, air brake so much harder than BoR that it blows phase 2 candidates out of the water?

I didn’t think the failure rate was so high for Phase 2. Probably has more to do with the people who can’t handle the lifestyle. Poor time management will get you kicked out in a hurry. I manage people in my current job, and it is amazing how many people are incapable of being on time for anything. I would imagine if somebody was constantly late, they’d be booted pretty quickly.

5 hours ago, Bluto1899 said:

I disagree with you here. If you fail the test just to get in, chances are your going to fail in the program and are not going to do well. Usually HR gets it right when vetting new employees. Being an Engineer we’re held to a high regard and pretty much have to be 100% on point everytime. By passing it shows them you put the time forward and effort to succeed. Locomotive and engs are two different things by the way. Lol 

1 hour ago, republic said:

Yes it is. Just because you make to phase 2 doesn’t mean you can make it. You are right that some people can’t handle the schedule, some people lack mechanical skills, or once they get a hold of the material that has to be studied.  Some people just can’t grasp the concepts. In the beginning it’s a lot of information. The first 5 months you have to learn how to operate various equipments, air brake for ALL equipments and trouble shooting, draw PC, BoR and special instructions in that short amount of time all while retaining the info. It’s not easy. Your getting quizzed every other week on something and get evaluated everyday throughout the program. These scores go to HR and if your test scores are lacking, they will bring you to the round table. 

18 minutes ago, Bluto1899 said:

I didn’t think the failure rate was so high for Phase 2. Probably has more to do with the people who can’t handle the lifestyle. Poor time management will get you kicked out in a hurry. I manage people in my current job, and it is amazing how many people are incapable of being on time for anything. I would imagine if somebody was constantly late, they’d be booted pretty quickly.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be with attendance. They have a very strict policy on that. I made sure I was where I was supposed to be at all times. They will do attendance checks and if the engineer knows your coming and your not there , they will call your instructor. Some engineers don’t play that shit. Another thing I forgot to mention. Your dealing with different personalities also. Some might get on your nerves and some you will get along with. GOT TO DEAL WITH IT. Comes with the territory.

On 6/11/2018 at 5:50 PM, Bluto1899 said:

From what I hear now. 3 guys failed at the halfway point. Failed one of the tests and the retake. It’s not about the lifestyle or being on time. 

5 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

From what I hear now. 3 guys failed at the halfway point. Failed one of the tests and the retake. It’s not about the lifestyle or being on time. 

This is what scares the heck out of me.  I'm going to give 100% to the end, but my fear is quitting my job only to fail out of phase 2 six months in.

3 hours ago, SMF3 said:

Has anyone that was at the 5/23 open house heard anything back about the S&D overview yet? I know the whole process takes a while but I'm starting to get worried.

Same for 6/1 open house. Remaining hopeful