LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

Congrats to All who are moving along in the process:-)!  I've been trying literally for about 10 years to make the orientation, but reading these posts gives me hope that I'll eventually get invited too so I'm gonna keep applying!  Again, congrats and hope that you all make it to the end:-)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Red5Xwing said:

Congrats to All who are moving along in the process:-)!  I've been trying literally for about 10 years to make the orientation, but reading these posts gives me hope that I'll eventually get invited too so I'm gonna keep applying!  Again, congrats and hope that you all make it to the end:-)

I applied as soon as I became qualified in 2012; and to hear the current employees tell it, they can't get their kids in for blood nor money.

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

When I got hired in 2015. They banned nepotism. It was lifted 2016. There’s a few guys who just qualified that they’re relatives are here on the property. 

Oh, ok...Got It!  But if I may ask, is there any backround that you've seen they prefer as far as who they invite?  I've been hired by the Postal Service as a Mail Handler but that may not necessarily "wow" them...

7 minutes ago, Red5Xwing said:

Oh, ok...Got It!  But if I may ask, is there any backround that you've seen they prefer as far as who they invite?  I've been hired by the Postal Service as a Mail Handler but that may not necessarily "wow" them...

No. Everyone has a different backgrounds, truck drivers, mechanics, aeronautic engineers, teachers, store owners, actors, bus drivers, retail. List goes on and on. 

8 hours ago, Red5Xwing said:

Great!!  I'll just keep applying....and Thanks!

Yes, absolutely keep applying!  I applied a lot longer than 10 years before I finally got invited to an overview.  Just keep watching the MTA employment site and this forum and apply each time they post the position.

25 minutes ago, republic said:

Yes, absolutely keep applying!  I applied a lot longer than 10 years before I finally got invited to an overview.  Just keep watching the MTA employment site and this forum and apply each time they post the position.

Thanks for the encouragement!  This gives me even more hope that I'll eventually get my "Golden Ticket"....and I'm pulling for all y'all to reach the finish line, in the meantime congrats!

Edited by Red5Xwing

31 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

My interview is tomorrow but my S&D was 8/20.

The good news is if you haven't heard you failed, it ain't over.

Actually, I don’t think they let you know you failed. I took S&D back in April, and never heard a thing, so I’m assuming at this point I failed.

38 minutes ago, Bluto1899 said:

Actually, I don’t think they let you know you failed. I took S&D back in April, and never heard a thing, so I’m assuming at this point I failed.

I think it's messed up that they say continue to study after test. But they say that they will not tell you if you failed the exam. But supposedly it could take weeks to know if you passed due to how a person grades and if they made the cut for phase one. So a person could have to wait for another 15 weeks. Hate that saying (No news is good news.)

On 9/11/2018 at 10:06 PM, Bway279 said:

I think it's messed up that they say continue to study after test. But they say that they will not tell you if you failed the exam. But supposedly it could take weeks to know if you passed due to how a person grades and if they made the cut for phase one. So a person could have to wait for another 15 weeks. Hate that saying (No news is good news.)

Someone here waited to get into phase 2. Almost a year after he took his panel interview and he got a denial letter a year later. 

Edited by drenyce311

4 minutes ago, kev2112 said:

I'm taking the test Saturday...I know the signals cold. All of them. Definitions are a different story. I'm hoping for 20 short ones on the test.

Study 1 definition at a time. Read. Write recite. After you have one def cold like u do signals, then add another. Good luck sat

5 hours ago, kev2112 said:

I'm taking the test Saturday...I know the signals cold. All of them. Definitions are a different story. I'm hoping for 20 short ones on the test.

I had 5 or 6 definitions left before my test I was feeling the same way it’s only 20 what are the chances I’ll get one of those. But I took the day before the test off from work hit those definitions and got them by the next day. The next day on the test I saw all 6 , I would’ve failed that test, but since I got them all down I got 100 on the signals and 100 on the indications/definitions test. So just try to study it hard you put in all this time, if you really want it go all in or nothing at all. Best of luck.

3 hours ago, CarlosMQ said:

I had 5 or 6 definitions left before my test I was feeling the same way it’s only 20 what are the chances I’ll get one of those. But I took the day before the test off from work hit those definitions and got them by the next day. The next day on the test I saw all 6 , I would’ve failed that test, but since I got them all down I got 100 on the signals and 100 on the indications/definitions test. So just try to study it hard you put in all this time, if you really want it go all in or nothing at all. Best of luck.

Thanks for the words. I’ve been all in since day 1. The 20 definitions come from the words and the Signal indications correct?

10 hours ago, kev2112 said:

Trust me. They’re won’t be 20 short ones. It’s all mixed. Short ones and a long ones. If you don’t have them memorized by the time you go to bed Friday night. Don’t bother. It’s too late. Best of luck. Rooting for you guys.