LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to you (again) Dre on making it to Phase 1.  It's always great, as well as inspirational, to see someone start at as an applicant and progress closer and closer to the ultimate goal. 

Well done, Dre.

The process is a long process. Since I applied in September until almost an entire year. But ive been applying for the last 3-4 years.

All right folks! I just received my final email stating that I have been selected for Phase 1. Been studying more now that they emailed us the Book of Rules to get a head start. This is no joke. So much information. Im sure this is probably nothing from whats going to be thrown at us in phase 1. My question is what can we expect in phase 1? is it just 6 weeks of classroom material?? are we going to at least see a train in a yard during this phase or in phase 2?

phase 1 is book of rules. i believe you go to class on wednesdays and saturdays. good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to all the Phase 1 students.  You all must be fired up having made it this far!

Have any of you gone into study groups?  

How many are in your class?  

How many of those invited to Phase 1 were no-shows?

Compared to the studying required for the Signals and Definitions exam, is your new load even more challenging?

I hope Saturday's class goes well for all of you.

Edited by rtmason

How's the class going?

so far it was exciting and interesting. Instructor was cool and had our attention on him. As far as phase 1. It's ALL "BOOK OF RULES". we're having our first quiz tomorrow morning. Class starts 630a sharp at Babylon Yard. It's a lot of information. If you guys think the signals and definitions are hard. Wait till you see the Book of Rules and Timetables and Special Instructions binders. We're not even done with getting everything. So far it's 12 of us in the class and 12 spots available for Phase 2. It's up to us if we want to put the work in. The job is practically ours. It'll be ashame if one of us doesn't put the weight in to study hard.

For those of us preparing to take the the Signals and Definitions exam next week, I asked HR about the exact date, time and place.  I received this response via email:

Friday, August 28 – 8:00 am at Hillside Facility.

Here we go!  

See you there.

so far it was exciting and interesting. Instructor was cool and had our attention on him. As far as phase 1. It's ALL "BOOK OF RULES". we're having our first quiz tomorrow morning. Class starts 630a sharp at Babylon Yard. It's a lot of information. If you guys think the signals and definitions are hard. Wait till you see the Book of Rules and Timetables and Special Instructions binders. We're not even done with getting everything. So far it's 12 of us in the class and 12 spots available for Phase 2. It's up to us if we want to put the work in. The job is practically ours. It'll be ashame if one of us doesn't put the weight in to study hard.

Sounds exciting, Dre!  I'm gassed up just thinking about it!  I'm studying my butt off to get the invite to class!

I agree with you.  It would be a shame if one of the 12 doesn't put in the work and effort to seize this opportunity.  I don't think that'll be the case though.  If guys made it that far, it clearly indicates a strong desire to see things through.  I wouldn't bet against anyone who had endured to this point.

Stay strong and focused, fellas.  I'm right behind you.

Keep up the good work! Let us know how it goes!

Good luck and study . Have fun in the simulator building as well. Its interesting.

How much time is there between Phase 1 and Phase 2?

so far from what they told us. phase 2 starts 2-3 weeks after phase 1. Once we pass the final exam, they'll tell us when to notify our jobs for the last two weeks and our medicals will be done during those two weeks. Edited by drenyce311

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I took my Signals and Definitions test this past Friday.  I just hung up from HR and was informed that I passed!  I will be moving on to the panel review, which should take place near the end of September.

Got to keep studying.  Read, write and recite.

For you guys in Phase 1, how was class last Saturday?

• 4 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the big day, Phase I Engineer Trainees!  This is where all the studying and sacrificing pays off.  I know you guys will pass your exams and move on to Phase II.  I've met a few of you, and you guys seem tight and prepared.  Nervous perhaps, but you seemed confident overall.  I hope to be in the exact same state when its my turn to face the final exams.

I wish you all well.

On another note, I had my panel interview last Monday.   It was out HR Head  and a Road Foreman.  The questions were typical HR questions, along with some very basic workplace scenarios. It was laid back, without tension, and straight forward.  Nothing at all to be worried about.

Now I await word whether I can move on to Phase I, and the start date.  I hope they start another within 30-60 days.  

One can only hope.

Stay positive, all.

Edited by rtmason