LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

Glad to inform you guys. 12 went in to take the final. 12 came out and passed and went into the verbal. And we're ALL going to phase 2. 12 spots were available. Couldn't be happier at the moment. Those who are about awaiting to get into phase one. Study study study. Can't emphasize how important it is. But it was well worth it. Phase 2 starts October 21st.

I guess we'll get calls tomorrow to schedule our medicals.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

drenyce311, how long was the approximate wait between the panel interview and when they notified you that you were accepted to phase 1?  And is there a physical in-between?  If so, what does it consist of?  Whats the screening consist of?

drenyce311, how long was the approximate wait between the panel interview and when they notified you that you were accepted to phase 1? And is there a physical in-between? If so, what does it consist of? Whats the screening consist of?

My wait time www about 2 months. Once they know who's in the class there's a physical about 2-3 weeks prior to phase 1. Physical agility test, vision, hearing. Then a full medical after phase 1 when you pass. I'm actually here right now at the facility getting my medical done again. But this time it's the same thing plus a drug test.

Edited by drenyce311

2 months...damn.   I recently had my panel interview and they said they were going to have a class in November, I guess it depends on the amount of qualified people they have to consider.  I've been sweating since the interview just to hear something, after 2 months I might not have hair on my head.

Thanks for the answers, BTW!!

Edited by jetfan74

Jetfan, I'm right there with you.  All we can do is wait and stay patient. 

Did you take the S&D on Aug 28th?

I thought we would have heard back by now, they said not many people passed so I wonder if they're going to have to do another exam to fill up the class.

Did you take the S&D on Aug 28th?

I thought we would have heard back by now, they said not many people passed so I wonder if they're going to have to do another exam to fill up the class.

Yes, I did.  We are in the same group/class.

Panel review was last Monday.

I asked about being notified about Phase 2 and was told that it could come at any time depending on available seats in the class.  If not enough people passed/qualified, they will need to process more people to try and fill'er up with qualified candidates.  Qualified candidates will just have to wait.

I'm just happy to have made it this far.

So Republic, keep an eye out for an invitation.  They need engineers, so hope is still alive!

Edited by rtmason

I asked about being notified about Phase 2 and was told that it could come at any time depending on available seats in the class.

Don't you mean Phase 1?

They told me they have a class starting in November, I hope that's still true.

Don't you mean Phase 1?

They told me they have a class starting in November, I hope that's still true.

No.  At the end of panel interview, I asked about when I would be notified that I was moving on to Phase II.  I was told to keep an eye on my inbox, and that I could be notified at any time.  That's when they went into how things are dependent on the number of qualified candidates and available seats.

I heard a tentative start date was November.

No.  At the end of panel interview, I asked about when I would be notified that I was moving on to Phase II.  I was told to keep an eye on my inbox, and that I could be notified at any time.  That's when they went into how things are dependent on the number of qualified candidates and available seats.

I heard a tentative start date was November.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Phase 2 depend entirely on if you get through Phase 1?  

As far as how many people passed, I have no idea.  I asked the HR Rep and she kind of gave me the impression that she didn't want to share the number, all she said was "not many"

I am the one that stands corrected.   I meant Phase 1.  Apologies.

No sweat, we're all in the same boat looking for whatever information we can find and at the end of the day not learning much of anything new.

Thats why I questioned your post, It went against everything I had previously read and I figured I got something else wrong about this long and never-ending process :)

Just be Patient. And keep studying. Can't stress that enough. STUDY STUDY. If your feeling guilty. It's because it its. Study some more. Believe me it will pay off. There was a part of phase one where I got a low score in of my quizzes. Brought my confidence level down a bit. But that was because I didn't know the answer to the question. Now I do. And so far everything your going to learn has to be written verbatim. That philosophy will never go away. It got me studying and I know the book of rules now. It is a lot of information.

Well just another FYI. Just came back from my medical. I'm in phase 2 pending medical clearance. Received the conditional offer letter as well today. Excited can't wait. October 21st can't come fast enough.

Awesome, Congrats! Thanks for those reminders as well.

Jetfan, I'm right there with you.  All we can do is wait and stay patient.

I'm with you guys in the same boat. Had the panel on Sept. 28 now just waiting for that call/email. This has been a loooong stressful process so far. But everyone says it will be worth it!

Awesome, Congrats! Thanks for those reminders as well.

I'm with you guys in the same boat. Had the panel on Sept. 28 now just waiting for that call/email. This has been a loooong stressful process so far. But everyone says it will be worth it!

Welcome aboard, JR!  In this boat, the more the merrier!  The guys ahead of us, like Dre, have hung in there and now they are about to be paid employees going into OJT.  I find their experience inspirational as I wait.  They have reached that light at the end of the "Tunnel of Patience."  Let's me know it's do-able.

We just have to hold tight.  Or be held tightly.  One or the other.  Or both.  LOL!

Looking back. I was like looking at the book of rules like"holy crap. How am I going to memorize all this. And where to start!" its amazing how much info we know now. It would've been a shame if one of us failed out and all that studying goes to waste. But we're 12 strong, hopefully 12 all the way to the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys tomorrow is day 1 of a new era. Phase 2 starts tomorrow. A few days with HR to fill out paper work. And I guess we'll start class soon enough. Can't wait guys.!

Still waiting to hear back after my Panel Interview. Good luck!! Take no Prisoners!!!!

Still waiting to hear back after my Panel Interview. Good luck!! Take no Prisoners!!!!

Jetfan, I'm still waiting myself.  Dre and those guys had to wait like 2 months!  Now it's our turn.  I'm hoping they call sooner than later, though.

I'm excited for the guys starting Phase II.  Please check in when you can to let us know how you all are doing.  Good luck!