LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

Jetfan, I'm still waiting myself.  Dre and those guys had to wait like 2 months!  Now it's our turn.  I'm hoping they call sooner than later, though.

I'm excited for the guys starting Phase II.  Please check in when you can to let us know how you all are doing.  Good luck!

I check this place often to see if you got the call yet. My heart skips a beat everytime my phone rings.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I would LOVE an opportunity to become a locomotive engineer for the LIRR. I've put in applications for a few years now.....but I hope to get a "golden ticket" for the orientation in the future!

Apply for Cam or Oiler now and start from the bottom. Its best to start out that way in RR because most of the time your mind changes when you see other crafts there that may catch your interest. The RR has many departments that pay good or even better than Engineer . Get your foot in the door and thats when you get a clearer idea what you want to do.

Apply for Cam or Oiler now and start from the bottom. Its best to start out that way in RR because most of the time your mind changes when you see other crafts there that may catch your interest. The RR has many departments that pay good or even better than Engineer . Get your foot in the door and thats when you get a clearer idea what you want to do.

LIRR 154, I'm curious to know what other jobs pay better than the engineer position?  

Also, I was told by an employee that Car Inspector was the best job on the railroad due to the ease of physical exertion and the opportunities for overtime.  Would you agree?  If not, which position do you think is the best on the rails?

Engineer is tops, in my opinion.

I am still waiting on a call from HR as to whether I will be moving on to Phase I.  I was hoping a class would start at the end of November, but I'm starting to doubt that notion.

In the meantime, I will continue to review my signals and definitions, and wait patiently.

LIRR 154, I'm curious to know what other jobs pay better than the engineer position?  

Also, I was told by an employee that Car Inspector was the best job on the railroad due to the ease of physical exertion and the opportunities for overtime.  Would you agree?  If not, which position do you think is the best on the rails?

Engineer is tops, in my opinion.I am still waiting on a call from HR as to whether I will be moving on to Phase I.  I was hoping a class would start at the end of November, but I'm starting to doubt that notion.

In the meantime, I will continue to review my signals and definitions, and wait patiently.

Car repairmen and Car inspectors are just about the same. Road car inspectors are also car repairmen. These two I would say are the best crafts in the RR followed by Machinists as far as money goes , overtime and better quality of life.You know how many Engineers I know say if they could do it over again they would of went for the car repairmen program? All of these crafts can lead to Mof E gang forman where the money is even better.

Rt Mason there's nothing wrong with Engineer and I wish you good luck. But all I'm just bringing out is the only thing people see from the outside is Conductors and Engineers. But there is so much going on not in the public eye to keep this RR moving. Crafts people never knew that exists. That's why I always advice people who want a career in the RR to start from the bottom and research what direction you want to go. Alot of people here started like that.You'll be surprised the amount of craft changes because some people started one route but didn't like it. Anyway good luck and I hope you the best.

LIRR 154, I really appreciate the content of your last two posts.  The perspective of a veteran railroader is priceless, especially for newbies.

I agree with you in so far as how outsiders look at the railroading and only see Conductors and Engineers.  I was one of them.  I kind of looked at railroading as similar to mining, to be honest.  That is, until my brother started working for Amtrak.  I had never even heard of his position (catenary lineman) before he informed about it, along with the value of overtime and home-time opportunities.  The more I learned about the different crafts the more I wanted in.  I ended up as a Freight Conductor for a Class I myself.

I like the Engineer position because I believe it's a good match/fit for me.  Yes, the lifestyle can be an acquired taste for some, but I know it's something I would enjoy.  For others that want something closer to M-F and 9-5, there are other positions that may suit them better.  To each his own, right?  Working off an extra board isn't for everyone, especially family men, for instance.

I'll tell you this much, working for LIRR, in any of the crafts, "would be simply huge!" (said in Trump voice).  I consider myself very fortunate to have made it this far in this extensive hiring process.

The one thing that all the vets that I've spoken with over the last few years seem to agree upon, and stress, is just get in.  All of the positions pay well, and you can apply to other crafts "internally" which substantially improves your chances of being selected over external applicants.

Thanks again, LIRR 154.  Please keep dropping those jewels!

Edited by rtmason

Wow....I hadn't even thought of those!, I will apply as for them as soon as they come up. I also put in for Block Operator, that seems challenging too.

drenyce,

was that your class walking jamaica last week? i wanted to call out your name but your class was busy digesting jamaica. i was on the platform waiting for my dh

Yea it was. Haha. We're a good group of guys. Starting today we have 3 days of roadway worker protection, 1 day of air brake and 1 day for zone A certification. I was exhausted. We have been walking all week. Lol.

That's a good heads up, Dre.

When I last spoke to HR, they said the delay behind starting the next Phase I class was getting enough qualified candidates together.  I just hope enough of them can get by the Signals and Definitions test so we can get this process moving again.

Good luck to the new prospects.

I wonder if this means my class won't start Phase I until March or April...? 

I am currently studying for the S&D test for yardmaster trainee can i still get called for another position and will i have to do the cognitive part all over again ?

No , cognitive test is good for a year. But you can't go for two crafts at the same time while your still in the process for YM.

Hey I think I might be in your class for phase 1 I got called for panel interview on Nov 11th. And I'm not sure how I did. Nervous. But I took the test around Oct. 29th. Getting me nervous. 

NOICE! (K&P reference)

Congratulations, Republic!  Finally moving you along, huh?  You shouldn't worry about the interview.  Got it from a good source that if you made to the interview, you're pretty much good to go.  Unless you said something crazy like, "I lunged with the knife, but it hit his belt buckle."  LOL!

BTW, did they indicate to you when you might be called to start Phase I?

Good luck to all. Hope you all get called. Study those defintions and signals. They will be asking you about them starting day 1.

Thanks, Dre.  I'm all over it.  I just took a break from studying to post this.  

I'm hoping to receive a call for Phase I within the next couple of days.  Christmas is right around the corner.  I would think that they would want to start the 6 weeks before we run into the Xmas-New Year break, provided they want a December class.  Otherwise, we're looking at 2016...

Fingers crossed!

Edited by rtmason