LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

hey all. I just recently passed the signals and definitions test and going in for panel interview in 1 week. can anyone give me some information on what they might or will ask? I need to get prepared. I want to ace this interview to go on to phase 1!

Hey man, just wondering were you in the April 8th signals test?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During your interview, did they happen to mention when they are planning on having the next phase 1 class?

I asked them what the timeline was and when could we expect to start phase 1 if chosen, they didn't give me an exact date but hinted that it would be after the summer. Did you go in for the interview already?

I asked them what the timeline was and when could we expect to start phase 1 if chosen, they didn't give me an exact date but hinted that it would be after the summer. Did you go in for the interview already?

Yes I had my interview already. I was also told that a class may be held towards the end of the summer.  

Hey guys! I'm in the same boat passed s/d exam and had my panel early April. Still waiting to hear back on class dates. I'm pretty sure there was a class that started in March.

When did you apply for this position?

Hey @Ndj22 welcome to the board! This is my first post as well.

As some have said before, applying to be an Engineer Trainee is a true test of patience, and a long road. I originally applied in April of last year, had the Open House in November, Background Check in December, Signals and Definitions Overview in January, Test in February, and my Panel Interview the beginning of this past March. At the end of my interview, I asked if I was chosen for Phase 1, when I could expect the class to begin. I was told the next class would be starting end of May / beginning of June, and I'd hear around that time. Still haven't heard anything yet...

Anyone on here know if there's a Phase 1 class scheduled for either the end of this month or beginning of next? Thanks in advance!

- Rogue

As some have said before, applying to be an Engineer Trainee is a true test of patience, and a long road. I originally applied in April of last year, had the Open House in November, Background Check in December, Signals and Definitions Overview in January, Test in February, and my Panel Interview the beginning of this past March. At the end of my interview, I asked if I was chosen for Phase 1, when I could expect the class to begin. I was told the next class would be starting end of May / beginning of June, and I'd hear around that time. Still haven't heard anything yet...

Anyone on here know if there's a Phase 1 class scheduled for either the end of this month or beginning of next? Thanks in advance!

- Rogue

I don't know when the next phase 1 is set to begin but I believe the phase 1 that I was interviewing for is set to begin after the summer. Hopefully they contact me within the next month in regards to whether I made it or not, patient really is key. 

- Rogue

You appear to be running the same schedule of events as me.  I applied last May, Open House in September, Background Check in September, S&D Overview October, S&D test in December and Panel Interview in January.  I was told that they are looking to have the next Phase 1 at the end of summer, maybe.  

If you are not selected to proceed into Phase 1 do you know if they send you a letter, email or phone call?

@podh1011

When you did your panel interview in January, did they tell you the class you would be in (if selected) would be at the end of this summer? I know there was a Phase 1 class in March, and I was told that the class I was being interviewed for would either be at the end of May/beginning of June. However I just heard that particular class is now supposed to be at the end of June, but they haven't selected who will be in it yet.

If you're not selected, I believe you are sent a letter stating so.

@podh1011

When you did your panel interview in January, did they tell you the class you would be in (if selected) would be at the end of this summer? I know there was a Phase 1 class in March, and I was told that the class I was being interviewed for would either be at the end of May/beginning of June. However I just heard that particular class is now supposed to be at the end of June, but they haven't selected who will be in it yet.

If you're not selected, I believe you are sent a letter stating so.

They said if I were selected that I could expect to enter Phase 1 sometime in July or August but they did not seem 100% sure of the exact date.  Going into the interview I felt that maybe I was going to have a shot at getting into the March class so I was surprised to hear July/August when I asked them.  It appears that they have been conducting a lot of S&D tests since I had mine, I can only assume they are trying to get a big pool of candidates or that the failure rate for the S&D test is so high that they are having a hard time getting enough people together to hold the next class.  The instructor told us during the overview that only 3 to 4 people will pass an S&D test, I think I had 23 people taking the test with me, so maybe that is why it is taking as long as it is, who knows, just speculating.  In the meantime I will just continue to be patient and keep my fingers crossed.  Good luck to you.    

I think that is accurate to say - I literally went over all my answers 3 or 4 times before handing in my test.

I wish you the best of luck as well! Hopefully (knock on wood - fingers crossed) things work out for both of us, as well as the other hopeful candidates on here who passed the S&D test and had their panels already!

The more the merrier! I'm awaiting either the bad or good news on moving forward to phase 1

Hey guys! I'm in the same boat passed s/d exam and had my panel early April. Still waiting to hear back on class dates. I'm pretty sure there was a class that started in March.

Just curious, you guys hear back from HR already?