LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

Relax guys. I doubt it's a lottery. They are probably just fitting people in to the next classes based on how well they did on vocabulary/cognitive/exam/interview etc. just have to wait and see what happens. Pointless to worry until you actually get a call saying you didn't make it.

Relax guys. I doubt it's a lottery. They are probably just fitting people in to the next classes based on how well they did on vocabulary/cognitive/exam/interview etc. just have to wait and see what happens. Pointless to worry until you actually get a call saying you didn't make it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope they didn't go to a lottery system, all that time waiting, appointments and pressure of studying just to have your name tossed into a hat?! Hey we haven't been told no yet and I think that's a good thing. Hoping all the patience we have had pays off for all of us very soon.

How did you guys study and retain this information, The definitions are killing me they seem so long and hard. Can someone give me some tips and let me know how the definition part of the exam was. The signals are easy to learn because they seem very repetitive...

Please email to assist me with tips and ideas OperatorRic@gmail.com

Flash cards, you MUST make flash cards.  Read, write, recite!  It helped me tremendously to write out each definition, when you write it out you tend to find mistakes easier, like writing "it" instead of "is" etc......I would just type them out on my computer for hours on end.  How much time are you setting aside to study? I studied 5 to 6 hours every day for that 5 weeks.  Do not wait till the last minute to learn new material, have all new material somewhat learned in the first 2 or 3 weeks this way you have a good 2 weeks to just drill it into your head.  Good luck!

Hey guys! Sorry for delay, been hit with some overtime at work. My panel was early april. My medical/physical was cake! They did a color blind test which you just read numbers with mixed colourful dots. Then a vision check. And for the physical side they have you step over fake tracks and third rail, climb up into a raised platform to simulate a train and move a sledge hammer as if your throwing a switch.

As far as candidate's I believe they take the highest scoring and pool them into the first/next class then the lower scores into the class after. I remember hearing your guaranteed a spot whether it's sooner or later if you passed.

For studying, learn 3 to 5 definitions a day and constantly review previous ones from days before. For me I would read recite then write. I learned signal faces/names first then learned indications.

Wow that's awesome. At least someone heard something. Congrats. Did they say when the actual phase 1 was starting? Any other details? Thanks!

Also, I thought the physical and medical was after you pass phase1? Why would they give you those exams if you may not even pass it?

Morning. They give you a pre medical. Which consists of a eye exam and a small agility course (walking over third rail, climbing up and down a mock engine. And how to walk between rails). Other than that a full medical when you pass phase 1.

Being in phase 2 now and have completed all interim requirements and what I know so far. Everytime a class qualifies a new phase 2 is already in class. About 3-4 weeks in. Next qualifying class graduates in August. And I'm in the next graduating class which is sometime in December. After my class there's 2 more classes. One that's 4 months in and a new phase 2 class that started a 3-4 weeks ago. Good luck everyone. Keep studying.

When I qualify a new phase 1 should start September or October. ^

So it sounds like every 2 months or so there is a new Phase 1?  I honestly don't have a good feeling about getting picked.  I haven't even been studying my definitions. Very frustrating process this is.

So it sounds like every 2 months or so there is a new Phase 1? I honestly don't have a good feeling about getting picked. I haven't even been studying my definitions. Very frustrating process this is.

From my class to the class behind me it was 4-5 months. It is very frustrating. I stop studying after the panel interview until I got the call. Then I started once again. RTMason keep studying and unfortunately he didn't get selected. Don't know what they're really looking for. Candidates who score high will go first. And if there's another signal and def class and some of those individuals score higher than the previous class. I think they will get in. My class consists of 8 from my overview and 4 from the previous overview. So I really don't know how the selection works. The classes behind are a class of 10 and a class of 8.

Also the classes behind me is mostly internals. My class are all "OFF THE STREETS" candidates.

From my class to the class behind me it was 4-5 months. It is very frustrating. I stop studying after the panel interview until I got the call. Then I started once again. RTMason keep studying and unfortunately he didn't get selected. Don't know what they're really looking for. Candidates who score high will go first. And if there's another signal and def class and some of those individuals score higher than the previous class. I think they will get in. My class consists of 8 from my overview and 4 from the previous overview. So I really don't know how the selection works. The classes behind are a class of 10 and a class of 8.

Also the classes behind me is mostly internals. My class are all "OFF THE STREETS" candidates.

WOW 4-5 months is insane!  Seems like the odds of getting in are extremely slim.  I appreciate them putting me in a pool of candidates I just wish I knew definitely if I was getting in at SOME point.  The unknown is annoying and frustrating.  Don't think I would apply again if I didnt make it the first time around.

Being in phase 2 now and have completed all interim requirements and what I know so far. Everytime a class qualifies a new phase 2 is already in class. About 3-4 weeks in. Next qualifying class graduates in August. And I'm in the next graduating class which is sometime in December. After my class there's 2 more classes. One that's 4 months in and a new phase 2 class that started a 3-4 weeks ago. Good luck everyone. Keep studying.

Glad to hear your moving along, Dre.  You haven't been here in a while.  Is everyone that started in your class still there?

Glad to hear your moving along, Dre. You haven't been here in a while. Is everyone that started in your class still there?

we started with 12. One guy dropped a few weeks ago. He passed his first 2 exams then he opted out. He was pretty good too. Personal reasons so now we have 11. 11 passed the midterms. So hopefully 11 to the end. The odds of this much getting to the end are low. Usually for a class of 12. By the halfway mark they lose half. It's a 50-60% graduation rate. Everyone in my class seems to want the job. So do i. Lol. Sleep study work. Edited by drenyce311

we started with 12. One guy dropped a few weeks ago. He passed his first 2 exams then he opted out. He was pretty good too. Personal reasons so now we have 11. 11 passed the midterms. So hopefully 11 to the end. The odds of this much getting to the end are low. Usually for a class of 12. By the halfway mark they lose half. It's a 50-60% graduation rate. Everyone in my class seems to want the job. So do i. Lol. Sleep study work.

Good to hear Dre . Keep studying and stay drawing those PC's.

Everybody who passed the S&D and had their panel just have to be a little patient. They are going to need a good number of Engineers . Just becuase they have alot of classes doesn't mean everyone in those classes are making pass phase 2. The RR know this so instead of having a few they are trying to build up to qouta before the ESA opens. As long as you didn't receive no letter. Be patient and good luck.

Congrats. Best of luck. See you around campus.

Hey thanks a lot man. Hey do you remember how much of the Book Of Rules study guide they expected you to know by the time the first class starts? I'm focusing right now on going over the S&D since I am mildly rusty on them.

Yea June 29th start

Cool, see you there Edited by podh1011

Hey thanks a lot man. Hey do you remember how much of the Book Of Rules study guide they expected you to know by the time the first class starts? I'm focusing right now on going over the S&D since I am mildly rusty on them.

Cool, see you there

The whole enchilada. They expect you to know them like the back of your hand. You will get tested day one on signals, indications and definitions. There's about 10 more definitions that you will need to know when starting phase 2. Now for the Book of Rules. You will need to learn them verbatim as well. About 42 of them. The rest need to be answered verbatim. You guys will be going over the book of rules. That's what phase 1 is just rules. They will leave out a whole section which will be covered in phase 2. In the first 5 weeks. Takes that long to explain and grasp the Forms.

The whole enchilada. They expect you to know them like the back of your hand. You will get tested day one on signals, indications and definitions. There's about 10 more definitions that you will need to know when starting phase 2. Now for the Book of Rules. You will need to learn them verbatim as well. About 42 of them. The rest need to be answered verbatim. You guys will be going over the book of rules. That's what phase 1 is just rules. They will leave out a whole section which will be covered in phase 2. In the first 5 weeks. Takes that long to explain and grasp the Forms.

Thanks for the info! Excited!

Thank you very much for that information.