LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

hope someone can answer this for me, on the S&D test will signals for Amtrak be labeled something like "Amtrak Signal"?

Nope.. You'll have to know the signal itself and the indication in part two itself. Not by whether its a Zone A or Zone C signal

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope.. You'll have to know the signal itself and the indication in part two itself. Not by whether its a Zone A or Zone C signal

Hmm i just noticed while studying that there are 2 identical signals, both restricting signals, but have 2 different indications

Hmm i just noticed while studying that there are 2 identical signals, both restricting signals, but have 2 different indications

They may not use both of the same signal but if they do they'll differentiate with either "zone A" or the "A290" if they don't, go with the easier indication.

Edited by jd88

• 4 weeks later...

I got a phone call few weeks after s&d test to schedule the panel interview. That's how I found out I passed.

Followed up with hr and got a response that I'm in the candidate pool for phase 1 and will be updated on next class. For those that were in last phase 1, how did it go?

I got a phone call few weeks after s&d test to schedule the panel interview. That's how I found out I passed.

Followed up with hr and got a response that I'm in the candidate pool for phase 1 and will be updated on next class. For those that were in last phase 1, how did it go?

Just curious but how long have you've been in this candidate pool for?

how long from after the backround check do you get called in for signals and definitions test? i did the open house June 6th and haven't heard anything further. Also who in HR can you contact on the phone or number?

how long from after the backround check do you get called in for signals and definitions test? i did the open house June 6th and haven't heard anything further. Also who in HR can you contact on the phone or number?

My background check took forever. Like 5 months, follow up in response to original email you got.

Mine took a long time too, I took the cognitive back in March and didn't get an email for Signals & Definitions overview until late july.

Less than a month for me.  I got all my paperwork in ASAP.  The HR person I always dealt with was Lucille Marino.

Hey fellas/ladies, I passed the S&D on March 11th, had my panel April 6th and am also still waiting for phase 1. I was told the same thing that I am in the pool and they are still putting together classes. Is anyone else here from the March 11th exam?

I know someone asked this before but I'm still unclear..do we need to learn all 1000 rules of the operating department during the 6 week class or only a selected portion of it? Good luck to those still waiting for phase 1!

Hey fellas/ladies, I passed the S&D on March 11th, had my panel April 6th and am also still waiting for phase 1. I was told the same thing that I am in the pool and they are still putting together classes. Is anyone else here from the March 11th exam?

I know someone asked this before but I'm still unclear..do we need to learn all 1000 rules of the operating department during the 6 week class or only a selected portion of it? Good luck to those still waiting for phase 1!

1000 rules??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rules of the operating department go up to 1000 but they skip numbers, Im curious if the rules of the operating department and the book of rules are one in the same.

Rules of the operating department is a fancy way of saying "book of rules".  I've been asking around, and supposedly its about 75% of the book that you are responsible for on the test.  The rest is done when you qualify as a LE.  

Out of the 1000. Only about 40 will be responsible in phase 2. That 40 is an entire section on its own. Too much to comprehend in phase 1. But yes. You will be responsible to know all of them. VERBATIM.

Thanks Drenyce311, so if only about 40 rules are necessary to learn in phase 2, what part or how much of the book of rules will we be responsible for in phase 1?

Edited by push82

Thanks Drenyce311, so if only about 40 rules are necessary to learn in phase 2, what part or how much of the book of rules will we be responsible for in phase 1?

Pretty much about 960 rules. In phase 2 it's the whole book or rules, special instructions, air brakes, PC, plus train handling. Phase 1 is peanuts compare to phase 2.

Edited by drenyce311

Took my signals and definitions on august 26th. I still havent heard if I passed or failed. Anyone at the same test as me hear anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like they're really backed up. I had my panel in April and I'm waiting. I've got to be honest this is a new system on how they're hiring Engineers and I don't like it. Before it was the same people you seen in the open house was going to be your classmates from Phase and beyond. Now they introduce this pool nonsense which now has people waiting and not knowing if you should continue studying or not. Like being taken hostage. Edited by LIRR 154