LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

How's everyone doing. Got a call today from HR regarding Phase 1, it begins next week. When I went in for my panel interview in April they never mentioned a summer class only the fall one, so I would assume the January or February is the one you guys will most likely be called up for if they never mentioned the fall class. I'm pretty sure this is the final class of the year.  

Hows class going and how many people are in there with you?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys so I attended the Open House on October 24,2016 and was invited for the background check. I was wondering if anyone here attended that session or if anyone else has been invited to the Signals and Definitions test scheduled in December some time. If I recall correctly, that is what the HR representative said that there was one scheduled during that time. 

• 2 weeks later...

heading in for S&D review tomorrow..finally

Good luck. Keep studying. Not sure how many weeks they're giving you guys to study the material. They gave us 4 weeks. Don't get overwhelmed with the info. It's doable. I had everything memorized by the end of the 3rd week. 4th week was review. Also start memorizing the easy ones first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a link or pdf copy of the most recent cba for locomotive engineers?  I noticed the one from 08 was posted in this thread, I'm wondering specifically if the article 2 benefits of service on other than regular assignment was changed, ie. if an engineer has to move a train out of his way blocking the tracks do they still get an additional days pay or did they take that away?  My brother, a conductor on metro north, said a lot of those extra perks were being taken away with the new contract.  just want some clarification.  thanks.

do you know if those rules are still in place, or did they take them away?  I can't imagine the blet letting go of any of those work rules.

They are still in place as far as i know.  We'll see what happens when they get a new contract, but i cant imagine that the ble will give them up.  

Also for those that are interested, they just posted the Engineer Trainee job on the MTA jobs website.  

They are still in place as far as i know.  We'll see what happens when they get a new contract, but i cant imagine that the ble will give them up.  Also for those that are interested, they just posted the Engineer Trainee job on the MTA jobs website.

Really? They just had a posting in June 2016 (I applied for that one). I'll reapply then. Thanks for the heads up man. This is a job I know I'm passionate for.

Hello guys,

A newbie to posting but a regular lurker on these forums just trying to get into the LIRR. Seems like this is one of the few companies left these days that offer a 360 combination of great salary, union, health care benefits, retirement and the whole shebang. Applied to 4 positions i believe i am qualified for since October last year the most recent being the Locomotive Engineer Trainee posted on December 30. I've read this post from page 1 so I know what I am getting myself into. We all know the LIRR works on their own time so ill be here for the ride (pun intended) with you guys. Shout out to drenyce311 I admire your perseverance I'm guessing you are now a licensed locomotive engineer, what a great way to provide for your family minus the odd hours that is.

Hey all, I just got the phone call for phase 1 and medical scheduled for tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what the medical is like. I also wear glasses for both distance and reading so actually have a pair of bifocals

Nice, how long ago was your interview and have you been studying signals/definitons?

Hey all, I just got the phone call for phase 1 and medical scheduled for tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what the medical is like. I also wear glasses for both distance and reading so actually have a pair of bifocals

I just got a call as well @ 9:10AM from HR.  I asked what it entailed and she said eye exam to see the signal colors and also ability to climb and enter the train.  Anyone know what else is expected?  Do they do a full medical work up, hearing, eyes, drug test etc?  Or is all that when you pass phase 1 and get hired?

Also, Its been like 6 months since Ive studied LOL.  I honestly lost hope when I didnt hear back from them after so long. 

My interview was end of last April and I go over the s&d's once a week. I also lost hope but you never know so it's better to be fresh.

Thats great...I guess I will start to review again :(  The signals are cake...just forgot most the definitions.

Thats great...I guess I will start to review again :(  The signals are cake...just forgot most the definitions.

And my interview was also April....8 months to hear back...CRAZY!!!