LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That was a fast turnaround by the LIRR in less than a month. I applied 3 days after the posting came out and again 8 days later but guess I got shafted again. Sigh.. Any idea of specific qualifications they are looking for? Also, does having a reference of a current employee help your chances?

Edited by ddbeek

Wow. That was a fast turnaround by the LIRR in less than a month. I applied 3 days after the posting came out and again 8 days later but guess I got shafted again. Sigh.. Any idea of specific qualifications they are looking for? Also, does having a reference of a current employee help your chances?

I didn't know of anyone who works for LIRR when I applied and I don't have anything special as far as qualifications go. I just applied at every opportunity!!

Same here. Every opportunity that is presented in which I meet the qualifications I apply for. Since October until now I have been through 8 applications including the current Block Operator and Assistant Conductor Trainee. Lets wait and see. I wish you all the best in the Locomotive Engineer Trainee program. Hope to be apart of the LIRR soon.

Same here. Every opportunity that is presented in which I meet the qualifications I apply for. Since October until now I have been through 8 applications including the current Block Operator and Assistant Conductor Trainee. Lets wait and see. I wish you all the best in the Locomotive Engineer Trainee program. Hope to be apart of the LIRR soon.

Thanks bro I appreciate that!!!

Hey Diezel,

you were right about the way the interview was going to go. I had mine today, it was 20 interview questions about my skills and attributes in relation to being a successful candidate for the position. They wanted me to incorporate what i read into those questions, but i was so nerve racked I forgot to include some. They were very welcoming and not too aggressive. Now to just hope I made an impression on them.

Hello guys,

A newbie to posting but a regular lurker on these forums just trying to get into the LIRR. Seems like this is one of the few companies left these days that offer a 360 combination of great salary, union, health care benefits, retirement and the whole shebang. Applied to 4 positions i believe i am qualified for since October last year the most recent being the Locomotive Engineer Trainee posted on December 30. I've read this post from page 1 so I know what I am getting myself into. We all know the LIRR works on their own time so ill be here for the ride (pun intended) with you guys. Shout out to drenyce311 I admire your perseverance I'm guessing you are now a licensed locomotive engineer, what a great way to provide for your family minus the odd hours that is.

It was torture. Lol.   But doable. 

In all honesty I don't have enough time to dedicate with a 2 year old and another baby on the way soon. It would decimate my life and my families lives. Maybe if I was 25 and single. Also the fact that if I failed out of Phase 2 I would be left with no job which is scary considering I have a mortgage and family etc. Too risky.

The only pro for me is the money but I can't base my career off of that. I currently make decent money but obviously not as much as an engineer. I guess I considered my family life versus money. I don't want to look back in 20 years and miss out on family memories. Holidays with my family etc. It reminds me of that movie Click with Adam Sandler. He fast forwarded through all the great memories with his family and found himself old and regretted it so much. I don't want to go through that lol.

Don't let the money potential blind you! You live once and money can't buy happiness. That's the way I see it. I'll stick to my IT work Monday to Friday with almost no commute and enjoy my work/family balance.

A little backstory. Age 32 when I started, have 2 boys ages 7 and 5, have a sick fiancé, went through it all during the last 2 years. Car accident, engine blown 2 days before phase 1, grandfather passed away, financial hardship, at the same time had parent duties when I came home. I too was in a situation where I had a decent job where I was there for 12 years. And I pondered many times where do I see myself with the company. Saw myself going no where. My drive was to better my current situation. Once I qualified, the situation got much better, getting ahead, the hours do suck, but everyday is a new day, you'll be home to take them to school or pick them up. It gets better. But the drive I had to succeed not just for me but for my family made it all worth it. Also another classmate has. 3 year old and a baby after phase 1. Made it through the program despite everything. When everything's on the table. We persevere. It does get overwhelming, but it was all worth it. 

Hey The Saniter,

Guess its luck of the draw. I have applied to 6 positions since October of last year including Locomotive Engineer Trainee which I previously mentioned. Haven't received a response for any of them but the 7th position I applied for was the Assistant Conductor Trainee on Feb 2 when the positioned opened and received an email today (Feb 10) at 5:11pm when the post is about to close for a test invitation on Feb 23rd (I swear I check that MTA website every single day up to 5 times as well as my email since October). Im currently a 27 year old minority who would love to start and finish a career at the MTA LIRR. Shout out to drenyce311, been following your progress as we have the same drive to succeed. Hope to make it through to the end in one piece. 

Hey The Saniter,

Guess its luck of the draw. I have applied to 6 positions since October of last year including Locomotive Engineer Trainee which I previously mentioned. Haven't received a response for any of them but the 7th position I applied for was the Assistant Conductor Trainee on Feb 2 when the positioned opened and received an email today (Feb 10) at 5:11pm when the post is about to close for a test invitation on Feb 23rd (I swear I check that MTA website every single day up to 5 times as well as my email since October). Im currently a 27 year old minority who would love to start and finish a career at the MTA LIRR. Shout out to drenyce311, been following your progress as we have the same drive to succeed. Hope to make it through to the end in one piece.

There you go bro!! Persistence pays off!! I wish you the best on your upcoming entry test!!!

Hey The Saniter,

Congratulations an good luck, I myself have been hounding the mta site on a daily basis and have never received an invite. This gives me hope.

Hey The Saniter,

I'm on the MTA site now. I don't see an opening for Assistant Conductor.... did it close?

Here's something I'd like to understand.... When you go to "My Activities" to view your submitted applications, under "disposition status", why is the "applied" status missing under some of my applications? Does this mean that I'm no longer considered for that position? Where it usually says "applied" it is now blank. 

Edited by FBA2920

Yeah same here. Some of the applied status have been removed from mine as well don't know what that means. And the Assistant Conductor position was open from Feb 2 to 10 that's 8 days down from the usual 14 days guess they received all the applications they need in that short space of time. However, Metro North just opened a Conductor Trainee position today and it closes in 5 days. My question to anybody who made it to their compensated training, how much do they pay you for that training period. Just want to have an idea.

Here's something I'd like to understand.... When you go to "My Activities" to view your submitted applications, under "disposition status", why is the "applied" status missing under some of my applications? Does this mean that I'm no longer considered for that position? Where it usually says "applied" it is now blank. 

When I applied for the Locomotive Engineering position back in June, I didn't having anything under there indicating where I was in the process. Then come October I got a call to attend the open house. So maybe its just a glitch or something. I also didn't even get an email confirmation that I applied

I had my panel interview last Wednesday and it consisted of reading 14 pages of material which included the job description and responsibilities and rule G which is their alcohol policy. They then wanted me to apply what I read ( I wasn't explicitly told to do that but she kept saying its important what you're reading) to the interview questions. 20 questions and then after we were done I had to write down what skills/attributes do I have and how will i be successful in the program if selected. Never been more nervous

When I applied for the Locomotive Engineering position back in June, I didn't having anything under there indicating where I was in the process. Then come October I got a call to attend the open house. So maybe its just a glitch or something. I also didn't even get an email confirmation that I applied

I had my panel interview last Wednesday and it consisted of reading 14 pages of material which included the job description and responsibilities and rule G which is their alcohol policy. They then wanted me to apply what I read ( I wasn't explicitly told to do that but she kept saying its important what you're reading) to the interview questions. 20 questions and then after we were done I had to write down what skills/attributes do I have and how will i be successful in the program if selected. Never been more nervous

Damn that sucks smh. That's the same LE posting I applied to (June 2016). I wish you the best man. I'll just keep applying, persistence is key!

Yeah same here. Some of the applied status have been removed from mine as well don't know what that means. And the Assistant Conductor position was open from Feb 2 to 10 that's 8 days down from the usual 14 days guess they received all the applications they need in that short space of time. However, Metro North just opened a Conductor Trainee position today and it closes in 5 days. My question to anybody who made it to their compensated training, how much do they pay you for that training period. Just want to have an idea.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't favor the MNRR but I'll apply anyway. I'm sure I can switch agencies in the future. LIRR is much more convenient.

Damn that sucks smh. That's the same LE posting I applied to (June 2016). I wish you the best man. I'll just keep applying, persistence is key!

Thanks I too wish you the best in getting a spot in the LIRR. The open house I went to 80 people were invited and only about 20or 30 something showed up. And a lot less (11) or so made it to the Signals and Definitions test. As mentioned earlier, Metro North is hiring for conductor if you're interested. I just hope to get that call that I made it through the interview lol

Thanks I too wish you the best in getting a spot in the LIRR. The open house I went to 80 people were invited and only about 20or 30 something showed up. And a lot less (11) or so made it to the Signals and Definitions test. As mentioned earlier, Metro North is hiring for conductor if you're interested. I just hope to get that call that I made it through the interview lol

I'm sure you'll pass. I met a trainee at Valley Stream station in October 2016. He was operating the West Hempstead train, dude was ecstatic lol. I don't blame him. He went through a lot to get behind that console. After speaking with him he pretty much explained everything that was already mentioned in this thread. He just wished he had stable hours.

Does anyone know what the vision requirements are for the locomotive engineer trainee or assistant conductor trainee?

As of 2017, the railroad is requiring that all Locomotive Engineer Trainees and/or Assistant Conductor Trainees possess the ability to see into the future. This is required so that in the event of signal failure or failure of the CSI such trainee will be able to report track conditions to qualified Locomotive Engineers and/or Conductors. Bonus points if you have X-Ray vision.