LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

Do a little research in this exact thread. There is a good amount of info in here all about the Engineer program. To answer your question there is nothing to study or no method to prepare. Just make sure you get there early and follow the directions of the test. Good luck

I appreciate that. I went through this thread it was helpful. Thanks for the wishes and response.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a while since I posted on here, had my interview in September still haven't heard about the next phase 1. Anyone know when the next one is going to be

I spoke to HR last week. All they said was that I am still in the candidate pool.

Sorry in advanced if these questions were already answered.

A few more days away until my open house. What would be good attire to wear? Also If I pass the test (step1) is the next step (step2) the same day or It will be rescheduled?

Edited by Bseijo90

A few more days away until my open house. What would be good attire to wear? Also If I pass the test (step1) is the next step (step2) the same day or It will be rescheduled?

I wore a suit to mine, its probably not necessary. They give you vocab test first and then cogitative after. They dont tell you if you passed the vocab right away, you take both tests back to back. Look up examples of flow charts for the cogitative, its nothing you can really study for.

By all means dress professional. I don't know if it changed ,but usually they give you a small interview if you passed the tests.

Well I just failed the cognitive test. Really hard. The vocab was easy but the time constraints for the cognitive is just crazy. It's not that the questions are hard but they give you little time to understand them to begin with. No math

No you don't have to finish. But at the same time you have to have more than 1 question right in each section. Idk exactly how many though.

I wish everyone else luck. It's pretty disappointing that I couldn't pass the prelims but I'll give it one more shot next year.

The vocab is by far the easiest. So much so that they only give you 7 mins to complete it. The cognitive is the real challenge. But it's the time compression not the actual questions themselves that screwed me over. 10 mins to do solve their sequential problems is pretty insane.

Today was a success. Passed the written and verbal exam (open house). Thanks for all the help and i'm  taking it one step at a time as there will be plenty more to come. I feel honored to even been in that room excited to see whats to come.

Is that a section your supposed to finish tho? I was given the test a few years ago and before we began they told us you won't finish in the time just aim for correct answers bcuz they have a weird grading method to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told by a LIRR employee to focus on what you know and skip what you don't know. Go back after. As instructions there were none lol. Im not sure how i passed but i did,anyway I think they focus on what you got right.

Edited by Bseijo90

Does anyone know if there is a manual for the S&D sold on Amazon, Ebay or somewhere on the web?  I'm not feeling it with Quizlet for signals, definitions ok but signals, na...  I'm old fashion, I need to have the study material in my hands. I want to get a jump start just incase if I ever do get called for the S&D overview. Thanks 

Does anyone know if there is a manual for the S&D sold on Amazon, Ebay or somewhere on the web? I'm not feeling it with Quizlet for signals, definitions ok but signals, na... I'm old fashion, I need to have the study material in my hands. I want to get a jump start just incase if I ever do get called for the S&D overview. Thanks

. Your better off waiting until if you get called. What they may require from you to study for the test do change from time to time. Also the time frame they give you is enough time to get it down packed. Edited by LIRR 154

Does anyone know if there is a manual for the S&D sold on Amazon, Ebay or somewhere on the web? I'm not feeling it with Quizlet for signals, definitions ok but signals, na... I'm old fashion, I need to have the study material in my hands. I want to get a jump start just incase if I ever do get called for the S&D overview. Thanks

I would be careful with the Quizlet. I have heard that they change definition verbage and have added and removed some of them. You will be tested on the packet that they give you if you are called back. It is word for word out of that packet. You will need to memorize the mistakes too. My packet had a few errors.