LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

What kind of vision tests did they have you complete?

I wear glasses but when i went i was wearing contacts. They just had me stare into this machine that mocked the Snellen eye chart test for visual acuity. The device had a setting for near/fat sightedness and the woman asked me to read the lowest line possible. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I had a horrible morning. I was late to S&D overview and the instructor didn't let me in. 

I am so sorry to hear that... that is extremely unfortunate. They are huge stiflers when it comes to time management and being on time. Every step along the way is a test upon which you are judged based on your performance. Hopefully you can still get in, maybe try applying for the Assistant conductor trainee position

So I had a horrible morning. I was late to S&D overview and the instructor didn't let me in. 

sorry this happened. you should've took the train. if that train is scheduled to get you there on time and it was late, you are good. they always say "if you are on time. You are late"

That sucks bro, I saw them do the same thing to someone at my overview and again to someone at the S&D test day. Gotta be at least 1hr-45min early for this type of career 

I wear glasses but when i went i was wearing contacts. They just had me stare into this machine that mocked the Snellen eye chart test for visual acuity. The device had a setting for near/fat sightedness and the woman asked me to read the lowest line possible. 

Did they ask you if you were wearing contacts? Was the colorblind test part of it?

Anyone else from April 6th open house get contacted yet for S&D overview?

Some did... I went and haven't received any word yet on my status. Still in limbo I guess.

Edited by BXTeb

Did they ask you if you were wearing contacts? Was the colorblind test part of it?

They did not ask, but I do think they asked on the application so they should have it on file. The color blind test too was on there.. those number blended in so well lol There was one or two numbers the lady said people usually have to try again with but as long as  you can make it out you're golden

What was the reason they gave?

There wasn't any real clear reason. They said they decided to go with other candidates. I passed the test and i felt like I did well on the interview guess that wasn't good enough ehhh. I did put I was terminated from a previous job so maybe there it goes right there which isn't fair but who am I right? I wont give up though this is what I want to do.

There wasn't any real clear reason. They said they decided to go with other candidates. I passed the test and i felt like I did well on the interview guess that wasn't good enough ehhh. I did put I was terminated from a previous job so maybe there it goes right there which isn't fair but who am I right? I wont give up though this is what I want to do.

Same exact boat - I passed the test and interview. I got a letter stating that I failed the test. Which is no way possible. I reached out and they said they think I got the wrong letter and will look into it. Waiting on a response. I dont understand because I know they have problems finding people to pass everything. Doesnt make sense. I too will keep trying but very discouraged by this result.

Same exact boat - I passed the test and interview. I got a letter stating that I failed the test. Which is no way possible. I reached out and they said they think I got the wrong letter and will look into it. Waiting on a response. I dont understand because I know they have problems finding people to pass everything. Doesnt make sense. I too will keep trying but very discouraged by this result.

Now that I'm thinking back I did have a moving violation that is still pending but I think there was a question like if I had any moving violations and I put no so maybe??????? idk.

Hey guys , I'm sorry to read that you wasn't able to continue your career path in the RR. But I like to give you a little advice. Try and get in as Sam, Cam or Oiler first. An entry job. Once your in , you get a better idea of what every craft in the RR duties are and you might find something you would like to do other than going for a job somewhat blindly because it's on the board. Also I know it's discouraging because it happened to me and other internal employees and external employees like yourself. But don't give up ,perseverance pays off. But like I said before, that entry job is the way most RR employees came up . Cleaning trains and stations . Even the top dog of our whole union did that. So keep trying and good luck.

Hey guys , I'm sorry to read that you wasn't able to continue your career path in the RR. But I like to give you a little advice. Try and get in as Sam, Cam or Oiler first. An entry job. Once your in , you get a better idea of what every craft in the RR duties are and you might find something you would like to do other than going for a job somewhat blindly because it's on the board. Also I know it's discouraging because it happened to me and other internal employees and external employees like yourself. But don't give up ,perseverance pays off. But like I said before, that entry job is the way most RR employees came up . Cleaning trains and stations . Even the top dog of our whole union did that. So keep trying and good luck.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. I have actually been applying for all the entry jobs as well. I'm happy to clean trains, ticket clerk, whatever it is, I'm happy to do my time. I will keep trying. I'm just confused as to why I wasn't picked if I made it through phase 1 passing everything. I have a solid resume, at my job 23 years with tons of customer service and cash handling experience. I thought I was made for the conductor job. But I will keep moving forward and hope I get a foot in the door at some point.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. I have actually been applying for all the entry jobs as well. I'm happy to clean trains, ticket clerk, whatever it is, I'm happy to do my time. I will keep trying. I'm just confused as to why I wasn't picked if I made it through phase 1 passing everything. I have a solid resume, at my job 23 years with tons of customer service and cash handling experience. I thought I was made for the conductor job. But I will keep moving forward and hope I get a foot in the door at some point.

I know the feeling. I was picked over a couple of times. The RR is weird like that.

I always look for those other positions but never seem to see them posted.

Here it is,..they just pulled my paperwork.

The Vocabulary portion of the test - the very 1st part. Multiple choice. Instead of writing the letter of the answer, i wrote the correct answer. which they still passed me for on the spot. I moved on to each round. and interview, stating i passed. now someone pulling me out of the pile saying i didnt follow directions. Unbelievable.

Here it is,..they just pulled my paperwork.

The Vocabulary portion of the test - the very 1st part. Multiple choice. Instead of writing the letter of the answer, i wrote the correct answer. which they still passed me for on the spot. I moved on to each round. and interview, stating i passed. now someone pulling me out of the pile saying i didnt follow directions. Unbelievable.

How did you find out?

Just a quick question for everyone that went through the process so far, typically (minus the people that got a S&D overview date already) how long did you wait after the interview/test till you heard from the Long Island Railroad? I was in the April 6th test date and was told that I passed both parts and would have an email within 3-4 weeks, I am at 6 weeks and have not heard anything yet. Contemplating contacting the person that originally sent me the email for the open house but do not want to ruffle any feathers. 

Just a quick question for everyone that went through the process so far, typically (minus the people that got a S&D overview date already) how long did you wait after the interview/test till you heard from the Long Island Railroad? I was in the April 6th test date and was told that I passed both parts and would have an email within 3-4 weeks, I am at 6 weeks and have not heard anything yet. Contemplating contacting the person that originally sent me the email for the open house but do not want to ruffle any feathers.

Your application status is good for a year , as long you don't receive no letter.