LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a second chance to attend the S&D overview. 5 weeks from now will be taking the S&D exam. Wish me luck lol. 

excellent news,..how long ago was the 1st chance and what happened that they passed on you in the 1st place?

A while ago I went through the entire program.

Overview during an October. S&D that December with the test just prior to that New Years. Invited to Phase 1 in April which was every Wednesday and Saturday for 6 straight weeks. Phase 1 started exactly 2 weeks after Phase 1 ended and lasted from that June to July the year after. Somewhere between the S&D and Phase 1 I had an interview, I think.

The study requirements are staggering. You will memorize 127 signals. You will memorize 70+ definitions. You will memorize verbatim nearly a hundred (multi-paragraph length) rules and special instructions. You will memorize the railroads station pages and speed restrictions (verbatim) for all the different types of trains and on-track equipment. (Example: "2nd curve east of mile post 21 1st mile post east of Wakanda Station: Track 1: 45 MPH for Passenger, 30 MPH for freight. Track 2: 30 MPH for passenger, 30 MPH for freight.") <- There are about 140 of these. You will memorize the Rules that are in effect for every inch of track on the railroad. You will memorize and be able to draw all 11 branches of the railroad from memory. (Every switch, signal [and type of signal and what aspects those signals can display], and interlocking) You will learn the ins and outs of the different locomotives (E-10/E-15, DE/DM-30, M3 & M7) top to bottom including how to troubleshoot failed components and their locations.

I shortened the above so that it wasn't an impassable wall of text. That's about a third of what you test on. I'm told the rulebook started back in the 1830's or so. A lot of the wording feels like a different language, which makes all the above twice as hard to memorize because your brain wants to memorize sentences in plain English. (I.E, you want to add "the" where the rule omits it)

It will be the worst year and a half of your life. You will lose friends (and if you're in a relationship, about a third of the people I met lost that too).  To top it off, as most of you can see by the job posting, they recently lowered the training wage to 60% of engineer pay. (It was 70% when I went through). I'm told trainees now take home $450 - $600 per week depending on what jobs they have them work.

I've seen trainees struggle so I wanted to come here just to let those of you who are applying know that it's a job you really need to be committed to the moment you apply or you'll only waste your time.

I have a question for anyone who's been to phase 1. There are certain rules that are that are to me memorized by the rule # right? If not by the rule # how do we associate the other rules?

They'll start you off with a familiar term. Instead of just "What is Rule 327?" they'll ask "The absence of a ___  (rest of the rule)" or "If the auxiliary lights fail en route, what must you do?" or something.

A while ago I went through the entire program.

Overview during an October. S&D that December with the test just prior to that New Years. Invited to Phase 1 in April which was every Wednesday and Saturday for 6 straight weeks. Phase 1 started exactly 2 weeks after Phase 1 ended and lasted from that June to July the year after. Somewhere between the S&D and Phase 1 I had an interview, I think.

The study requirements are staggering. You will memorize 127 signals. You will memorize 70+ definitions. You will memorize verbatim nearly a hundred (multi-paragraph length) rules and special instructions. You will memorize the railroads station pages and speed restrictions (verbatim) for all the different types of trains and on-track equipment. (Example: "2nd curve east of mile post 21 1st mile post east of Wakanda Station: Track 1: 45 MPH for Passenger, 30 MPH for freight. Track 2: 30 MPH for passenger, 30 MPH for freight.") <- There are about 140 of these. You will memorize the Rules that are in effect for every inch of track on the railroad. You will memorize and be able to draw all 11 branches of the railroad from memory. (Every switch, signal [and type of signal and what aspects those signals can display], and interlocking) You will learn the ins and outs of the different locomotives (E-10/E-15, DE/DM-30, M3 & M7) top to bottom including how to troubleshoot failed components and their locations.

I shortened the above so that it wasn't an impassable wall of text. That's about a third of what you test on. I'm told the rulebook started back in the 1830's or so. A lot of the wording feels like a different language, which makes all the above twice as hard to memorize because your brain wants to memorize sentences in plain English. (I.E, you want to add "the" where the rule omits it)

It will be the worst year and a half of your life. You will lose friends (and if you're in a relationship, about a third of the people I met lost that too).  To top it off, as most of you can see by the job posting, they recently lowered the training wage to 60% of engineer pay. (It was 70% when I went through). I'm told trainees now take home $450 - $600 per week depending on what jobs they have them work.

I've seen trainees struggle so I wanted to come here just to let those of you who are applying know that it's a job you really need to be committed to the moment you apply or you'll only waste your time.

They'll start you off with a familiar term. Instead of just "What is Rule 327?" they'll ask "The absence of a ___  (rest of the rule)" or "If the auxiliary lights fail en route, what must you do?" or something.

Thanks Westair for the insight. I think it summarizes the whole process for people who are not familiar with it in good detail. 

I just passed S&D test and have a panel interview scheduled.  I'm very excited about passing the test but I'm not sure what to expect in the panel interview. Can anyone who had the panel interview recently give tips on what kind of questions to expect? Also, I saw one posting where it was stated that at the end of the interview you have to write down skills/attributes that would help you be an engineer, is this true?

Thanks Westair for the insight. I think it summarizes the whole process for people who are not familiar with it in good detail. 

I just passed S&D test and have a panel interview scheduled.  I'm very excited about passing the test but I'm not sure what to expect in the panel interview. Can anyone who had the panel interview recently give tips on what kind of questions to expect? Also, I saw one posting where it was stated that at the end of the interview you have to write down skills/attributes that would help you be an engineer, is this true?

Basic questions they asked you during your open house orientation. Why do you want the job? How will you handle the insane study requirements? That kind of stuff. They can really ask whatever they want.

For my interview they had me write a couple definitions verbatim. Some guys said they were told to read a rule in the Operations Manual before the interview, then spit it back to them during the interview. I don't remember being asked to write anything after the conclusion of my panel but I could just be forgetting.

Congrats on passing the S&D test. If you read through my previous post and still want the job then you'll certainly be an engineer this time two years from now.

Some questions for hopefuls to consider .....

Tell us about a time when you worked in a team.

What relevant experience do you believe qualifies you for this position?

What do you believe is the primary function of a locomotive engineer?

The Locomotive Engineer training is very intense. Do you believe you have the skill-set necessary to retain large amounts of information in a short period of time?

On your way to work you realize that due to circumstances beyond your control (i.e heavy road traffic) you will be late. What do you do?

How do you combat fatigue?

There may be a time when you fatally strike a trespasser, do you believe after an experience like this-you could return to work in as little as 3 days?

The FRA requires railroad managers to perform audits on locomotive engineers on a periodic basis. What do you think the purpose of these performance evaluations are?

What is your understanding of the LIRR Rule G?

(Prohibition of drugs and alcohol)

As a customer on-board a train, what would you expect from a train crew?

This position will require you to operate trains at speeds of up to 80mph, do you believe this is something you can handle?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, was just curious how long it takes to get a call back after you pass an open house test and interview? Passed in April and waiting to start the next leg, but have not been able to get a hold of anyone at Long Island Railroad for more information. Just curious.

Edited by bcloughen

• 3 weeks later...

Qualified this month!

Could answer a couple of questions about the program.

I am starting phase one in about 3 weeks and would appreciate anything you (or anyone else) would have to say to help my chances of doing well. This is my first post here, excited and quite nervous about all of this. Thanks all.

Edited by TraineeJourney

Congrats!

First thing first if you put in the time you will qualify! Second don't let anyone intimidate you a lot of the program is break or make game, just go with the flow. The less you question the logic the easier it will be.

Phase I is going to feel like eternity! you will need to remember dozens of paragraphs verbatim. Get the definitions, indications, signals and notes down as best as possible. No time to learn those when phase 1 starts.

Congrats!

First thing first if you put in the time you will qualify! Second don't let anyone intimidate you a lot of the program is break or make game, just go with the flow. The less you question the logic the easier it will be.

Phase I is going to feel like eternity! you will need to remember dozens of paragraphs verbatim. Get the definitions, indications, signals and notes down as best as possible. No time to learn those when phase 1 starts.

Congrats to you, must feel amazing. Waiting for it to start feels like an eternity, but there's plenty of work to do. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

I recently applied for the Locomotive Trainee Position on 12/7/2017 on the MTA website and saw that my application passed the pre-screening phase. Can anyone tell me 

what does that really mean and what is the next step? 

7 hours ago, N1CKR said:

Hi All,

I recently applied for the Locomotive Trainee Position on 12/7/2017 on the MTA website and saw that my application passed the pre-screening phase. Can anyone tell me 

It takes some time to get that initial contact from them. I applied Apr, 2017. They contacted me a few days before Thanksgiving. Seven months is actually not too bad I guess.I applied LONG before that for other crafts and never got a call back. Not sure about any pre-screening phase though, sorry.

Stay positive. If you have what they're looking for even remotely, they'll contact you. GOOD LUCK.

15 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

It takes some time to get that initial contact from them. I applied Apr, 2017. They contacted me a few days before Thanksgiving. Seven months is actually not too bad I guess.I applied LONG before that for other crafts and never got a call back. Not sure about any pre-screening phase though, sorry.

Stay positive. If you have what they're looking for even remotely, they'll contact you. GOOD LUCK.

I will definitely stay positive, So what phase are you currently in right now if you don't mind me asking?

On 12/20/2017 at 3:37 PM, N1CKR said:

Hi All,

I applied to April’s job posting and my application status progressed to passed pre screening, but I was never contacted by the LIRR. I just applied again in November and my application still says applied. I’m still hoping to get the call but I’m trying not to get my hopes up. 

On 12/21/2017 at 3:34 PM, MistaFISH said:

I passed the cognitive/aptitude tests, the interview and now i'm waiting to go in for the S&D overview.

I had a student about 2 months ago. She waited almost 12 months to get called for the S&D overview. Plus there’s about 30 people waiting to get into a class. So it’s gonna be a while. Have faith and keep studying for those waiting to get called.