LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

1 hour ago, AirBrake said:

They did tell me that if I were to proceed they would need my DD-214 (military discharge form), which they have yet to email asking for. So who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing I can already tell is that they don’t do anything with any urgency. Everything is hurry up and wait.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Train123 said:

@drenyce311 what’s your schedule like? Is it anytime if the day? Are you on call 24/7 ?

Depends. There’s a list for new engineers who can’t own runs (routes). Usually those guys are on call. After every run (route) they’ll give you 8 hours rest then you call you right back to work. Sometimes they’ll break your rest if they need you. This doesn’t include the travel time home. This can all over the place. I moved 30+ on the roster since I qualified. I have a little juice. But I like working anything after midnight. Like to get home early. But now I just picked up another route. This one starts around 1030-1130am everyday. Days off changes. It does take a toll on my personal life. My wife is not to happy with the schedule. But it comes with the job. You will own a run and boom get bumped off it because someone with seniority has the rights to bump you and he will own. Kiss summer vacations with the kids goodbye. Get use to having vacation in January. Also it takes about 15-20 Years to get summers off. 

11 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Depends. There’s a list for new engineers who can’t own runs (routes). Usually those guys are on call. After every run (route) they’ll give you 8 hours rest then you call you right back to work. Sometimes they’ll break your rest if they need you. This doesn’t include the travel time home. This can all over the place. I moved 30+ on the roster since I qualified. I have a little juice. But I like working anything after midnight. Like to get home early. But now I just picked up another route. This one starts around 1030-1130am everyday. Days off changes. It does take a toll on my personal life. My wife is not to happy with the schedule. But it comes with the job. You will own a run and boom get bumped off it because someone with seniority has the rights to bump you and he will own. Kiss summer vacations with the kids goodbye. Get use to having vacation in January. Also it takes about 15-20 Years to get summers off. 

spear. lol

On 2/3/2018 at 8:04 PM, LS2015 said:

Qualified as an Engineer over 6 months ago.  Could answer basic questions regarding the process/job.

I appreciate it. I'm going in for the S&D test shortly. I have the material down 100% and a couple more weeks to study, so i'm not worried about that test. I'm more interested in the Rules tests as far as their difficulty as compared to the S&D test. Also, any insight or a brief explanation of the 7 weeks of school for the rules would be awesome. Thanks, and congrats! 

Qualified as an Engineer over 6 months ago.  Could answer basic questions regarding the process/job.

How bad is the schedule? Are you all over the place with days and times, or do you settle in eventually? Also, I’ve heard varying accounts on the pay. Once qualified, do you go straight to 100% hourly rate, or do you still have to go through the yearly progression. Also, the $10 bonus for qualified engineers, is that hourly or daily? Either way, congrats on making it through!

What’s the reirment like? How long ? And is the the material you have to study hard or it’s just a memorization thing?....congrats btw

1 hour ago, Bluto1899 said:

How bad is the schedule? Are you all over the place with days and times, or do you settle in eventually? Also, I’ve heard varying accounts on the pay. Once qualified, do you go straight to 100% hourly rate, or do you still have to go through the yearly progression. Also, the $10 bonus for qualified engineers, is that hourly or daily? Either way, congrats on making it through!

You only go straight to 100% after qualifying if you’re an internal employee meaning you came from a different craft with time. You will be going through the progression rate. Also the $10 bonus is only for qualified conductors.

Edited by LIRR 154

12 minutes ago, LIRR 154 said:

And yes , you will be all over the place . Any time of day. 

Hey,any insight on the Rules tests during the 7 weeks of school after the S&D test? Just curious about the amount of material as compared to the S&D. Have you done it?

2 hours ago, Bluto1899 said:

The union gave up that in June/2015. So if your an internal employee prior to that date once you qualify you will go to 100% rate. If your an internal, you will be at 70%. If your hired off the street, 60% during the program. Every calendar year it goes up 10%. So your at 80% before you qualify. And yes. We do get the $10/ day for being dual certified. ENGR/condr certification. But it only applies if you work the day. If it’s a sick, personal, vacation day the cert pay doesn’t apply. 

54 minutes ago, LIRR 154 said:

You only go straight to 100% after qualifying if you’re an internal employee meaning you came from a different craft with time. You will be going through the progression rate. Also the $10 bonus is only for qualified conductors.

Engrs are qualified conductors. We get the $10. 

1 hour ago, Train123 said:

What’s the reirment like? How long ? And is the the material you have to study hard or it’s just a memorization thing?....congrats btw

It’s 30 Years / 65 age. Which ever comes first. Many have tried to pass. Many have failed. They’res about 50 people who are in classes a year. Lucky if half of them passed. It all depends on how bad you want the job. If your single, no kids, have your own place, there’s no reason you should be doing bad in the program. It does get overwhelming at times. “What did I get myself into!” Moments. Got to stay focused. Besides. It’s not impossble. 475 on the roster did it. 

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

It’s 30 Years / 65 age. Which ever comes first. Many have tried to pass. Many have failed. They’res about 50 people who are in classes a year. Lucky if half of them passed. It all depends on how bad you want the job. If your single, no kids, have your own place, there’s no reason you should be doing bad in the program. It does get overwhelming at times. “What did I get myself into!” Moments. Got to stay focused. Besides. It’s not impossble. 475 on the roster did it. 

Hey,any insight on the Rules tests during the 7 weeks of school after the S&D test? Just curious about the amount of material as compared to the S&D. TY

5 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

Hey,any insight on the Rules tests during the 7 weeks of school after the S&D test? Just curious about the amount of material as compared to the S&D. TY

The entire rule book is the 6 weeks. It has to be memorized plus the signal and definitions. It’s 6 weeks 2 days a week. The tests has to be answered verbatim. 

2 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

The entire rule book is the 6 weeks. It has to be memorized plus the signal and definitions. It’s 6 weeks 2 days a week. The tests has to be answered verbatim. 

Ok. Would you say the information in the rule book is more or less content, easier or harder than the S&D? Ty

10 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

Ok. Would you say the information in the rule book is more or less content, easier or harder than the S&D? Ty

Harder. Only because the language is written from the early 1900’s. Pretty much unchanged. You won’t understand it until you actually start applying it on the field. At that point is just to learn it.