LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Train123 said:

@drenyce311 I thought background had been done? And as far as the test do they want commas placed exactly how the definition is or just the wording.

Commas are no big deal. Same with spelling on certain words, unless it changes its meaning. As in pluralizing train(s), when it's supposed to be train, or vise versa. Good luck.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:04 AM, MistaFISH said:

Commas are no big deal. Same with spelling on certain words, unless it changes its meaning. As in pluralizing train(s), when it's supposed to be train, or vise versa. Good luck.

Thank you, much appreciated

6 hours ago, Train123 said:

@MistaFISH when you took the S&D test did you add the “-“ for all the signals :ex slow-approach and so on? Also how’s phase 1 been going?

I put the “-“ for the signal names on the test on Saturday that’s just how I learned them, has anyone who took the test saturday heard anything back from HR?? what does phase 1 consist of?

11 hours ago, CarlosMQ said:

I put the “-“ for the signal names on the test on Saturday that’s just how I learned them, has anyone who took the test saturday heard anything back from HR?? what does phase 1 consist of?

I put the dashes in too. That said, while I’m confident I got 100% on the signals, I’m fairly certain I crashed and burned on the definitions portion. It was actually the indications that did me in. I was so concerned with the signals and definitions, and almost forgot about the indications, and I paid for it.

36 minutes ago, Bluto1899 said:

I put the dashes in too. That said, while I’m confident I got 100% on the signals, I’m fairly certain I crashed and burned on the definitions portion. It was actually the indications that did me in. I was so concerned with the signals and definitions, and almost forgot about the indications, and I paid for it.

You never know man. U only needed 80% on the definition portion of the test. I know I’m asking again but During the overview I thought they said dashes really didn’t matter only for the ones we had to put a star by that was necessary?

42 minutes ago, Train123 said:

You never know man. U only needed 80% on the definition portion of the test. I know I’m asking again but During the overview I thought they said dashes really didn’t matter only for the ones we had to put a star by that was necessary?

I know that I had marked dashes on several definitions that they said would be wrong without them. For example, for “Marker” the emphasized it should be “Red-Orange-Amber” or it was wrong. Because of that, if the signal name has a dash in the book, I used a dash. I made my flash cards up that way. That said, I can’t say how they will grade it.

47 minutes ago, Train123 said:

No you didn’t need them, only the ones we went over and they specified that they wanted. I just learned with the dashes because all this is something we would need to know for the job so I don’t want to get it confused in the future if I get to phase l and ll, On the signals if the name was “Temporary Advance Speed-Limit Sign” and you wrote Advanced would they consider it wrong? Because I know indications and definitions were verbatim but what about names.

Edited by CarlosMQ

5 minutes ago, CarlosMQ said:

No you didn’t need them, only the ones we went over and they specified that they wanted. I just learned with the dashes because all this is something we would need to know for the job so I don’t want to get it confused in the future if I get to phase l and ll, On the signals if the name was “Temporary Advance Speed-Limit Sign” and you wrote Advanced would they consider it wrong? Because I know indications and definitions were verbatim but what about names.

A guy I spoke to after the test was afraid he failed because he wrote advanced approach instead of advance approach, do they would probably consider it wrong for the speed limit sign too.

25 minutes ago, CarlosMQ said:

Yes it would be considered wrong. 

27 minutes ago, CarlosMQ said:

Ok thanks that’s what I thought....for indications it was only about 3-5 I believe that was specified that they needed a dash, / or parentheses.....but I guess we’ll have to wait it out and see how it turns out.

19 hours ago, Train123 said:

@MistaFISH when you took the S&D test did you add the “-“ for all the signals :ex slow-approach and so on? Also how’s phase 1 been going?

No...i don't think i did. I know i added the / for stop signal/ train order, and for approach/distant signal marker. hope that helps. It's going...it makes the S&D look like a walk in the park, i'll tell you that. But just like the S&D, at some point, it just clicks. 

47 minutes ago, CarlosMQ said:

Yeah...definitely wrong.

I also took the test Saturday.  Nailed the Aspects portion definitely 100%   I got about 75% of the definitions/indications easily, the other 25% I struggled with pretty heavily but I think I did enough to possibly pass.  Anxiously awaiting a result.   Does anyone know if they let you know Pass OR Fail, or do they just email those who pass? 

6 hours ago, MattyCass89 said:

I also took the test Saturday.  Nailed the Aspects portion definitely 100%   I got about 75% of the definitions/indications easily, the other 25% I struggled with pretty heavily but I think I did enough to possibly pass.  Anxiously awaiting a result.   Does anyone know if they let you know Pass OR Fail, or do they just email those who pass? 

They’ll only call or email you if you passed. Not if you fail.