LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

38 minutes ago, MistaFISH said:

I got the call yesterday btw. I'm a Locomotive Engineer Trainee.... Just quit my job today.

It was just as fun as I thought it would be. 

Congratulations!!  Best of luck in the program.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

I kept the Zone A signals separated while i was learning them bc of the slight differences between their indications and those of the Zone C signals.But mixed up the Zone C cards. Once I knew what was what, i mixed them all up. I got 100%'s all throughout phase 1 on the weekly quizzes. They're burned into my brain. Eventually, mix them up. Good luck.

Nice, thanks I'm fully committed to the program. Good luck to you as well on phase 2.

4 hours ago, MistaFISH said:

I got the call yesterday btw. I'm a Locomotive Engineer Trainee.... Just quit my job today.

It was just as fun as I thought it would be. 

Congrats bro, can’t wait to get to that step. 🤞🏼

Hello all, I hope everyone is well.  I am new here.  After applying a few time I received an invite to the Orientation/exam/interview, On June 1 in Babylon .

I applied for the following posting, the 4/1- 89676,  11/17- 92039 & 4/18-93100. and received my invite on May 11. So I was surprised that I heard back quickly, but I noticed one of the attachment in the invite email had the 92039 posting attached, so my wait was around 5 months.

A little about me, I am original from NY but now reside in NJ. Mid 30's family man. I worked for the Gov't for over 10 years at the airport, left there for a law enforcement job. That didn't work out. Now I am with USPS. Not the worst job but the pay could be better. But 8 weeks of phase 1 with no pay in my situation is really tough. Plus commuting back and forth for testing, then the job it self. I still have extended family throughout the boroughs, but I still have my own family obligations .

From what I've read is to Study eat study sleep study and then study some more.

I have a few questions and concerns for anyone who may know, I read through many but not all of forum pages.

How's the job once you complete all the training?

Is there OT?

Where are the new hires usually placed to work? So I can figure out my commuting issue or should I relocate back to NY.

As I mention last years posting was attached to my invite. with last years salary rate. If and when I am successful to get this job, am I hired at last years rate or this year?

I noticed from last year to this, there was almost a 5% increase, so even though the  current top pay in 6 years is $45.077 Hr. Its possible to hit that a lot sooner with the yearly increases, is that correct?

What hours for the class times,(anything in the evening)?

I appreciate any information you can relay to me,  while I dive further into previous pages.

I wish everyone well.

46 minutes ago, handsom4life said:

Hello all, I hope everyone is well.  I am new here.  After applying a few time I received an invite to the Orientation/exam/interview, On June 1 in Babylon .

I applied for the following posting, the 4/1- 89676,  11/17- 92039 & 4/18-93100. and received my invite on May 11. So I was surprised that I heard back quickly, but I noticed one of the attachment in the invite email had the 92039 posting attached, so my wait was around 5 months.

A little about me, I am original from NY but now reside in NJ. Mid 30's family man. I worked for the Gov't for over 10 years at the airport, left there for a law enforcement job. That didn't work out. Now I am with USPS. Not the worst job but the pay could be better. But 8 weeks of phase 1 with no pay in my situation is really tough. Plus commuting back and forth for testing, then the job it self. I still have extended family throughout the boroughs, but I still have my own family obligations .

From what I've read is to Study eat study sleep study and then study some more.

I have a few questions and concerns for anyone who may know, I read through many but not all of forum pages.

How's the job once you complete all the training?

Is there OT?

Where are the new hires usually placed to work? So I can figure out my commuting issue or should I relocate back to NY.

As I mention last years posting was attached to my invite. with last years salary rate. If and when I am successful to get this job, am I hired at last years rate or this year?

I noticed from last year to this, there was almost a 5% increase, so even though the  current top pay in 6 years is $45.077 Hr. Its possible to hit that a lot sooner with the yearly increases, is that correct?

What hours for the class times,(anything in the evening)?

I appreciate any information you can relay to me,  while I dive further into previous pages.

I wish everyone well.

1. Once you graduate. The job is great. The hardest part is studying everyday just to pass. No way around it. 

2. As for OT. Plenty of OT. 

3. When you graduate. You’ll be on the subject to bid list. On call everyday. Location may very. (3 hour report window). The way it’s going you might be STB for a few years before owning a job. All the crappy jobs are in penn station  early morning or late afternoon. NON OT jobs. 

4. As for the salary. Any new employee hired after June 2015 will be on the new 4 year wage progression. Unless your an internal hire. The $45.07 is on your 4th year of service.(current contract). 60>80>90>100 every calendar year. 

5. Phase 1 is only 2 days a week. 2 hours on Wednesday night and all day Saturday morning (8 hours). I kept my job until I knew I made it into phase 2. 

6.  Classes are all morning in phase 2. No evening classes. 6am - 2pm. Some cases 8am-4pm. Depending on what part of the training curriculum it is. Trainee schedule is erratic every week. Start days one week and the following week might nights.  Subject to change at any given monent. 

7. Don’t worry about any of future stuff until that moment happens. Just focus on the now and get passed open house. 

Best of luck. 

21 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

1. Once you graduate. The job is great. The hardest part is studying everyday just to pass. No way around it. 

2. As for OT. Plenty of OT. 

3. When you graduate. You’ll be on the subject to bid list. On call everyday. Location may very. (3 hour report window). The way it’s going you might be STB for a few years before owning a job. All the crappy jobs are in penn station  early morning or late afternoon. NON OT jobs. 

4. As for the salary. Any new employee hired after June 2015 will be on the new 4 year wage progression. Unless your an internal hire. The $45.07 is on your 4th year of service.(current contract). 60>80>90>100 every calendar year. 

5. Phase 1 is only 2 days a week. 2 hours on Wednesday night and all day Saturday morning (8 hours). I kept my job until I knew I made it into phase 2. 

6.  Classes are all morning in phase 2. No evening classes. 6am - 2pm. Some cases 8am-4pm. Depending on what part of the training curriculum it is. Trainee schedule is erratic every week. Start days one week and the following week might nights.  Subject to change at any given monent. 

7. Don’t worry about any of future stuff until that moment happens. Just focus on the now and get passed open house. 

Best of luck. 

Thanks Drenyce311 I really appreciate the info.

I have a few more questions if you wouldn't mind.

I am commuting from Jersey is it easier and convenient to the mass transit to training and Job? Or is there parking available to your reporting station?

How long is the typical shift/route/run?

If and when I get to phase 2 the schedule should't be to much of an issue by that time, we start to get paid, .So if I have to leave my current job Ill have some income.

You mention once you finished with test and training you'll be on call everyday. Realistically do you still get adequate amount of shifts or will you be scrounging and begging for work?

If I have a 3 hr window to be at work I might stay in Jerz. Because it will take 2 hrs to get through SI into BLYN.

I am not concerned with Weekend and Summers off. Would be nice but I know what its like to start from the bottom.

Thanks for correcting me on when top pay actually starts I misunderstood and thought it was the 6th year. So its after the first 1095 days and not 1095 after your 3rd year? 

1st 365 days 60% $27.046/Hour 
2nd 365 days 80% $36.061/Hour 
3rd 365 days 90% $40.569/Hour 
After 1,095 days 100% $45.077/Hour  3 x 365=1095

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, handsom4life said:

Thanks Drenyce311 I really appreciate the info.

I have a few more questions if you wouldn't mind.

I am commuting from Jersey is it easier and convenient to the mass transit to training and Job? Or is there parking available to your reporting station?

How long is the typical shift/route/run?

If and when I get to phase 2 the schedule should't be to much of an issue by that time, we start to get paid, .So if I have to leave my current job Ill have some income.

You mention once you finished with test and training you'll be on call everyday. Realistically do you still get adequate amount of shifts or will you be scrounging and begging for work?

If I have a 3 hr window to be at work I might stay in Jerz. Because it will take 2 hrs to get through SI into BLYN.

I am not concerned with Weekend and Summers off. Would be nice but I know what its like to start from the bottom.

Thanks for correcting me on when top pay actually starts I misunderstood and thought it was the 6th year. So its after the first 1095 days and not 1095 after your 3rd year? 

1st 365 days 60% $27.046/Hour 
2nd 365 days 80% $36.061/Hour 
3rd 365 days 90% $40.569/Hour 
After 1,095 days 100% $45.077/Hour  3 x 365=1095

Thanks again.

1.  Shifts are 8 hours to 11 hours and 59 minutes. Not including deadheading to work. Trips are normal 2 round trips to 5 round trips.

2. As for shifts when you qualify we have a call in and call out time. First in first out. If there is an excess of engineers and a few jobs you will be placed in terminal as a protect for 8 hours. Terminal may very. 

3. 3 hour report is anywhere to NY to the Long Island. Yes you can make it in 3 hours. But if it’s rush hour it can take more than 2 hours. 

3 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

1.  Shifts are 8 hours to 11 hours and 59 minutes. Not including deadheading to work. Trips are normal 2 round trips to 5 round trips.

2. As for shifts when you qualify we have a call in and call out time. First in first out. If there is an excess of engineers and a few jobs you will be placed in terminal as a protect for 8 hours. Terminal may very. 

3. 3 hour report is anywhere to NY to the Long Island. Yes you can make it in 3 hours. But if it’s rush hour it can take more than 2 hours. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Hopefully we can work together or I can pass on some knowledge to a future applicant.

6 hours ago, handsom4life said:

My invite had the same attachment.  Congratulations on the open house.  I've been applying much longer than you so it's hard to say how much of the invite is resume, needs or just luck.  From what I read, they get thousands of applicants for the posting, so make the most of it.

1 hour ago, Jsunflyguy said:

I apply to each one so it's tough to say; I suspect this is a call back from the one about a year ago (April?)

I stand corrected, 92039 is indeed the application from December. Guess they got tired of seeing my name and threw me a bone.

22 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Conductors get paid more. 

OH! really. That's interesting. Well I hope to get through with this position, I don't want to interact with passengers that much, also from the youtube vids I see where the conductors manually switch the tracks and have to walk on/over train lines.......'oh no baby what is you doing' -_- Driving the train seems more interesting.

10 hours ago, Misslowe said:

OH! really. That's interesting. Well I hope to get through with this position, I don't want to interact with passengers that much, also from the youtube vids I see where the conductors manually switch the tracks and have to walk on/over train lines.......'oh no baby what is you doing' -_- Driving the train seems more interesting.

Huh ?? Do more research on Lirr Engineers and Conductors before you seriously consider this position.

17 hours ago, Misslowe said:

oh you will get your hands dirty.