LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still waiting to be called in...and waiting..and waiting.  I'm hoping they're not done hiring for now, but the fact that they're running S&D classes now leads me to believe that they are.  Best of luck to both of you this Friday (drenyce) and in May (Miguel). 

I'm still waiting to be called in...and waiting..and waiting.  I'm hoping they're not done hiring for now, but the fact that they're running S&D classes now leads me to believe that they are.  Best of luck to both of you this Friday (drenyce) and in May (Miguel). 

Your waiting to get invited to an overview?? So far there were 5 sessions. One in December, January, February, March, and April. I know in my orientation there invited 80. 42 showed. 29 passed the initial exam. And in the S&D overview I recognized maybe about 3-4 from my orientation and the rest from the december session. 35 were invited and 29 showed up. There was a S&D exam in February. Only 15 showed. Who knows who passed that exam in February. But We will see on Friday how many show up. But from what they told us they're hiring about 50 engineers. and its 15 per class. There will be more than once class this year. I guess if people cant pass the S&D exam they will probably send out more emails to other applicants. Ive been studying my ass off. I had everything memorized by the end of week 2. I am ready to take this exam. Had a study session with 2 other guys I met. I know this is a competitive exam. All the information is there. How we study and take the test is up to us ourselves. Feeling confident and nervous. Keep your hopes up. I got the email when I least expected it and Ive been applying to various positions for the last 3 years.

They gave us two packets. The signals are about 35 pages including signals indications (ex: Clear = Proceed, Stop-signal = Stop). But there's like 6-7 different ways the signals are displayed for one indication. Plus about 45 Amtrak signals. Total 126 signals. The other packet is the railroad definitions. This was about 7-8 pages long. 65 definitions. Test will be all 126 signals and 20 signal indications (ex clear - proceed) and 20 definitions of the 65 given. Which order I don't know. Probably will be random. It may seem like a lot. But it's not bad. If you have a great memory or great study habits. It will click. All the information is connected with one another. By week two it will start clicking. As quizlet I have my own account and sets that I'm using. Let me know I can add you the class set.

And did I mention 100% on the signals. You miss one they will not even continue to look at your test results. They said it happens all the time because they know people have been studying their asses off and they can tell who has been putting in the work.

Edited by drenyce311

Yea man. Ready to get this part over with.  I memorized everything by the beginning of the 3rd week. All these weeks were review. I took vacation from work this week to clear my head and go there stress free and peace of mind. Let me get your email address that way I can add you to the class set. Ill add you the day of the April 24th. I made the class private so you wont see it up on quizlet.

17 of 29 people showed up. I think I got a perfect score on both parts. How many will pass I don't know. But I saw a lot of people with their material studying until the last minute. The test is 3 hours. I walked in sat down and was confident. Once I was done. The instructor said HR will contact if you passed. I was the 2nd one to finished. Went over my answers 3 times and found some mistakes and corrected them.

Edited by drenyce311

Good Luck dre..

Thanks! Studied my ass off. 4-5 hours a day. Even at work during my spare time and during my lunch break. Study study study. Now I guess the Panel interview is next. Don't know what to expect on that interview. But going to go in there confident and relaxed. Edited by drenyce311

Thanks! Studied my ass off. 4-5 hours a day. Even at work during my spare time and during my lunch break. Study study study. Now I guess the Panel interview is next. Don't know what to expect on that interview. But going to go in there confident and relaxed.

Panel you will meet an HR representative and a Road Foreman. Road foreman are the ones who supervise the Engineers.

They told us you will get scored on the panel and they will tally up all the scores from the cognitive and vocabulary test, initial interview, signals and definition exam and panel interview. Then all those people get put in a hat and the top 15 scores will proceed to phase 1.

Edited by drenyce311