LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

12 hours ago, CarlosMQ said:

Hey guys how was that overview today? Overwhelming

dont worry that’s nothing like phase l

my best advice is that you guys put everything into index cards and make sure you check you wrote the signals indications and definitions exactly word for word.

Thanks for the advice.  My overview is tomorrow and then it's Go time.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. I was at the S&D yesterday, Monday 7/16. My concern is that I heard the instructors say over and over that we have 136 signals to memorize and score 100% perfect on. But upon making my flashcards and going through the study packet I'm only counting 135 signals. Did anyone else come across this too? I don't know if the instructors mistakenly said 136 and meant 135 or if I actually am missing a signal from my study material. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying not to panic.

55 minutes ago, republic said:

Hey mrm, I was there yesterday, too.  Are you as overwhelmed as I am?  The only thing keeping me sane is that everyone reacts the same way in the beginning, but manages to get it done.   I also have 135 signals.

Hey republic, I'm relieved to know you have 135 signals as well. Can anyone who recently took the S&D exam confirm this??

Yeah I'm doing my best not to drive myself crazy. There's been hundreds of people who have done it before. It is certainly possible. We have much work to do, need to keep the motivation in mind all the time.

On 7/17/2018 at 4:40 PM, mrm5291 said:

Hey republic, I'm relieved to know you have 135 signals as well. Can anyone who recently took the S&D exam confirm this??

Yeah I'm doing my best not to drive myself crazy. There's been hundreds of people who have done it before. It is certainly possible. We have much work to do, need to keep the motivation in mind all the time.

Same number and I was in the Monday overview.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, kev2112 said:

Got emailed for the S and D overview on 8/11. Luckily my cousin is an engineer and gave me the S and D packet when I got called for the open house, and I've been studying ever since. Best of luck to everybody.

See you there. 

Cant wait

On 8/7/2018 at 1:07 PM, flydog said:

Hey guys passed S&D and had my interview about 2 months ago but still haven't heard anything. Does anyone know about the next phase 1 class?

What’s up bro. Next class to graduate is September. After that January. If there isn’t a phase 1 going on now. Then probably some time October or November. 

Hey guys 

so im done with my Phase l class, I passed my final on Saturday. Now just waiting on HR to contact me for Phase ll. I took two days off from studying now back at it today to keep everything fresh for Phase ll. I heard there’s an open house today good luck to everyone.

On 7/19/2018 at 7:08 PM, Jsunflyguy said:

Same number and I was in the Monday overview.

On 7/17/2018 at 4:40 PM, mrm5291 said:

Hope you did well on yesterday's test.  Patiently awaiting the results!

Edited by republic

I learnt the aspects first, as many as you can per day. Put them on index cards separating each aspect. There are more than 1 aspect for each signal. 

After I remembered all the aspects I then learnt the indications. 

Once all remembered, I studied it every day mixing up my pile of index cards.

Each day study what u remembered the days before and continue to add to your pile. If you study every day, you will prevail! 

Just now, Biggburns said:

I learnt the aspects first, as many as you can per day. Put them on index cards separating each aspect. There are more than 1 aspect for each signal. 

Each day study what u remembered the days before and continue to add to your pile. If you study every day, you will prevail! 

Forgot to say, I cut out each aspect and glued it to the index card and wrote the aspect and indication on the back

7 minutes ago, Biggburns said:

I separated my cards by signal type (pedestal, low home, etc) It doesn't seem to be working for me. I'll try grouping them by aspect. Thanks for the info 

23 hours ago, kev2112 said:

The definitions are coming to me easy. Still not sure how to attack the signals. Anyone have any ideas?

I can't say enough good things about Quizlet.  I made index cards but I found Quizlet to be so much more helpful, in fact, I wound up not even using the index cards.  First I learned the Zona A aspects because there are fewer of them.  I started by keeping them in the same order and after I was confident enough, I set Quizlet to scramble them.

Next I learned the Zone C aspects.  Same thing, first in order, then scrambled.  Finally, I scrambled both Zone A & C together.  It  took me seven days to get to that point.  With Quizlet on my phone I was able to practice a few aspects any time or place I had the chance.  Waiting on line at Stop & Shop, I pulled out my phone and practiced a few signals.  I would never have been able to do that with my index cards. You'll start seeing patterns and similarities and eventually it will click.  Just keep putting in the time and you'll get it.

One thing about Quizlet, if you decide to use it, don't use anyone else's sets.  Make your own.  All of the signal images are there, you just need to type the names and indications,

1 hour ago, republic said:

I can't say enough good things about Quizlet.  I made index cards but I found Quizlet to be so much more helpful, in fact, I wound up not even using the index cards.  First I learned the Zona A aspects because there are fewer of them.  I started by keeping them in the same order and after I was confident enough, I set Quizlet to scramble them.

Next I learned the Zone C aspects.  Same thing, first in order, then scrambled.  Finally, I scrambled both Zone A & C together.  It  took me seven days to get to that point.  With Quizlet on my phone I was able to practice a few aspects any time or place I had the chance.  Waiting on line at Stop & Shop, I pulled out my phone and practiced a few signals.  I would never have been able to do that with my index cards. You'll start seeing patterns and similarities and eventually it will click.  Just keep putting in the time and you'll get it.

One thing about Quizlet, if you decide to use it, don't use anyone else's sets.  Make your own.  All of the signal images are there, you just need to type the names and indications,

Very much appreciated