LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

7 hours ago, LIRR 154 said:

When did you apply? 

Many times but the job id for the one referenced in the email invite is 93100, in which I applied for in mid April, that was actually my first application for the L/E position. 

Basically imo for anyone out there if your interested in working for MNRR or LIRR, you must meet those specific qualifications and having college credits or a degree is a major bonus in getting your foot in the door. 

This is my second invite between MNRR & LIRR in less than a year.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/15/2018 at 8:17 PM, Handsomeheff said:

Many times but the job id for the one referenced in the email invite is 93100, in which I applied for in mid April, that was actually my first application for the L/E position. 

Basically imo for anyone out there if your interested in working for MNRR or LIRR, you must meet those specific qualifications and having college credits or a degree is a major bonus in getting your foot in the door. 

This is my second invite between MNRR & LIRR in less than a year.

You are lucky! MN has specific requirements versus LI.  

• 2 weeks later...

I passed the S &D test and had my panel interview in November. I read on the last page there is a Phase 1 class scheduled for January now, but I wasn't contacted so I assume that means I wasn't selected. Is that a knock on my qualifications, or is there a list of candidates from past tests that will get invited to a class before me?

1 hour ago, RCARR said:

I passed the S &D test and had my panel interview in November. I read on the last page there is a Phase 1 class scheduled for January now, but I wasn't contacted so I assume that means I wasn't selected. Is that a knock on my qualifications, or is there a list of candidates from past tests that will get invited to a class before me?

Could be you didn’t score high enough. They usually put the high rollers from 2-3 classes together. Then the low rollers. Or it could be how you answered the questions in the panel interview. Could be many factors here.  No news is good news. 

Edited by drenyce311

18 hours ago, RCARR said:

In my Phase l class all 13 passed but classes only take 12 students so our classmate had to wait for this January phase ll class. It’s a phase ll that’s scheduled for January. I believe Phase l is sometime in February. They’re usually 3 months apart from each class. So just wait like Dre said no news is good news, just be patient. And keep studying your signals and definitions you’ll get tested on that the first day of phase l 

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a little bit now, but just decided to sign up.  I'm currently a federal employee, but looking to get into the railroad industry (either city or lirr).  Has anyone applied for the most recent LIRR locomotive engineer trainee position?  I submitted my application on 11/27/18, and i was wondering if others here applied to this opening as well? If so, have you heard anything ?

Thank you,

-Nick

1 hour ago, nickolas388 said:

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a little bit now, but just decided to sign up.  I'm currently a federal employee, but looking to get into the railroad industry (either city or lirr).  Has anyone applied for the most recent LIRR locomotive engineer trainee position?  I submitted my application on 11/27/18, and i was wondering if others here applied to this opening as well? If so, have you heard anything ?

Thank you,

-Nick

Welcome aboard . It will take some time . 

9 hours ago, nickolas388 said:

Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you,

-Nick

A lot of patience will be required. 

I just finished orientation and am starting phase II from 11/17's application, and that was after years of applying.

It's one of those positions you apply for and then live your life like you never applied for it until they call you. Wish you the best!

I will say, as free advice for when you make it, get a W2 showing every year of employment you have on your resume. The background check company they hire will ask for some documentation that is quite burdensome, such as a W2 from 10 years ago over Christmas break, followed by a government shutdown.

The last thing you want is to have that kind of stress while you're studying up to your eyeballs.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:23 PM, LIRR 154 said:

thank you

On 1/11/2019 at 2:23 PM, LIRR 154 said:

On 1/11/2019 at 11:08 PM, Jsunflyguy said:

A lot of patience will be required. 

I just finished orientation and am starting phase II from 11/17's application, and that was after years of applying.

It's one of those positions you apply for and then live your life like you never applied for it until they call you. Wish you the best!

I will say, as free advice for when you make it, get a W2 showing every year of employment you have on your resume. The background check company they hire will ask for some documentation that is quite burdensome, such as a W2 from 10 years ago over Christmas break, followed by a government shutdown.

The last thing you want is to have that kind of stress while you're studying up to your eyeballs.

alright great, thanks for the info.  Guess i'll have to play the waiting game

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone recieve an email on 2/1 for the open house on 2/12? Can anyone give me any insight as far as dress for the open house, i was planning on wearing a nice dress shirt, slacks and shoes, is a suit necessary? Says its a long day too i would to be a little comfortable while taking a test but if it will help obviously i will break out the suit. If anyone has any advice for the open house and  the testing that is done that day i would appreciate it, or any tips in general.

Very excited, thanks all! 

hey there! good to know, and all of them you have to write verbatim? I have the open house in a few days, i wanted to get a head start and i see there are flash cards on quizlet but im not sure if the material has changed to even though im reading them im hestitant as i know the verbage is important. any tips? thanks!!

On 9/13/2018 at 7:48 PM, drenyce311 said:

Trust me. They’re won’t be 20 short ones. It’s all mixed. Short ones and a long ones. If you don’t have them memorized by the time you go to bed Friday night. Don’t bother. It’s too late. Best of luck. Rooting for you guys. 

22 minutes ago, nykfan said:

hey there! good to know, and all of them you have to write verbatim? I have the open house in a few days, i wanted to get a head start and i see there are flash cards on quizlet but im not sure if the material has changed to even though im reading them im hestitant as i know the verbage is important. any tips? thanks!!

Open house doesn’t consist of verbatim stuff yet. It’s just a cognitive exam. And if you pass a preliminary interview. Once selected to come to the signals and definitions overview. Then it’s verbatim. Don’t rely on the info quizlet. Create your own stuff. There’s been plenty of people who had head starts and still can’t pass the test. 

Edited by drenyce311

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

Open house doesn’t consist of verbatim stuff yet. It’s just a cognitive exam. And if you pass a preliminary interview. Once selected to come to the signals and definitions overview. Then it’s verbatim. Don’t rely on the info quizlet. Create your own stuff. There’s been plenty of people who had head starts and still can’t pass the test. 

thanks for that. Any advice on wearing a suit? a must in your opinion?

thanks, 

7 minutes ago, nykfan said:

thanks, 

I would definitely wear the suit.  If you pass the two exams they will give you an interview afterwards and you will have an advantage over the many candidates there who will not be wearing a suit....or even a tie.

13 hours ago, nykfan said:

thanks, 

13 hours ago, republic said:

I would definitely wear the suit.  If you pass the two exams they will give you an interview afterwards and you will have an advantage over the many candidates there who will not be wearing a suit....or even a tie.

I went casual. Had button up, dress pants, tie and vest. I wore a suit for the panel interview. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:13 PM, nykfan said:

Did anyone recieve an email on 2/1 for the open house on 2/12? Can anyone give me any insight as far as dress for the open house, i was planning on wearing a nice dress shirt, slacks and shoes, is a suit necessary? Says its a long day too i would to be a little comfortable while taking a test but if it will help obviously i will break out the suit. If anyone has any advice for the open house and  the testing that is done that day i would appreciate it, or any tips in general.

Very excited, thanks all! 

How did the open house go?  Are you moving on?

On 2/14/2019 at 8:52 PM, drenyce311 said:

I heard the next few phase classes are filled up to August. Not sure how true that is. 

I'd like to take a vacation this year but not knowing when I will be called for the Phase 1 test makes me hesitant to book anything. How have others handled this? Is it just best to forego making any plans indefinitely? 

3 hours ago, RCARR said:

I'd like to take a vacation this year but not knowing when I will be called for the Phase 1 test makes me hesitant to book anything. How have others handled this? Is it just best to forego making any plans indefinitely? 

Either you take a short vacation to be local or don’t take one at all until you know where you stand. How much do you want this career?

6 hours ago, RCARR said:

You could always take out trip insurance in case you get called.

21 hours ago, LIRR 154 said:

Either you take a short vacation to be local or don’t take one at all until you know where you stand. How much do you want this career?

Obviously the career is more important than the vacation. It's just unfortunate you are given absolutely no timetable by the LIRR. It's not easy to put your life on hold for an indeterminate amount of months/years, especially since there's no guarantee you are ever called at all.

Edited by RCARR

22 minutes ago, RCARR said:

Obviously the career is more important than the vacation. It's just unfortunate you are given absolutely no timetable by the LIRR. It's not easy to put your life on hold for an indeterminate amount of months/years, especially since there's no guarantee you are ever called at all.

I would just go about my life until I get called. Even if you get called. Your appt won’t be until like a week or 2 later.