LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

1 hour ago, Lirrdream said:

I too Will be attending the 4/9 open house in Babylon. This thread has been an enormous help in what's to be expected. Good luck to everyone going through the process of being an engineer. 

Dress up, be ready for standard interview questions.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, Leorocko1 said:

Same here - haven’t heard anything! Trying not to take it as a bad sign... I’m with you, if anyone has heard anything good or bad let us know :)

On 4/3/2019 at 4:55 AM, NYNJRELL said:

I took the exam so far no word good look to all tho 

just got a call this morning, interview is in 2 weeks. Can anyone let me know what to expect for this interview?

Good luck everyone. 

4 hours ago, nykfan said:

awesome congrats, curious to know when the classes start if the interview goes well, hopefully see you there.

best,

Congrats guys!!!! I failed :( i know which signal i messed up, bummed.  It i did everything i could!! 

On 4/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, nykfan said:

awesome congrats, curious to know when the classes start if the interview goes well, hopefully see you there.

best,

Don't hold your breath. I passed the S&D test in November, had the interview shortly after that, and am still waiting to get into phase 1.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, Steven trejo said:

Hey guys I'm just curious rn , but whats the deal with drawing the whole LIRR railway from scratch? 

Thank you, 

-Steven Trejo 

Hey Steven, hows the studying going? As part of phase 2 you will need to memorize and draw the physical characteristics of the entire railroad, including every signal, switch, interlocking, etc.  They probably showed you Hicksville at the open house, but if you Google LIRR physical characteristics, you'll get an idea of what some of these maps look like.

9 minutes ago, republic said:

Hey Steven, hows the studying going? As part of phase 2 you will need to memorize and draw the physical characteristics of the entire railroad, including every signal, switch, interlocking, etc.  They probably showed you Hicksville at the open house, but if you Google LIRR physical characteristics, you'll get an idea of what some of these maps look like.

Hey it’s accually going very well, already have all the signals down packed zone A+B and definitions I would say I know 50% :) I’m just grateful for this opportunity 🙏🏼 . Studying everyday 3-4 hours and my days off all day ; ) 

thank you ,

-Steven Trejo .

11 minutes ago, republic said:

They make you draw everything. Why? Because your the engineer, you need to know everything. Your the last line of defense. Your the go to guy when it comes to knowing the locations, your the guy telling the assistant conductor what switches to throw if they’re new. If you guys get jammed up. Your the guy making the statement. Someone once told me if answer with an “I don’t know” you don’t belong here. I especially wouldn’t want to hear those words. Plus it builds your mind and your character plus organizational skills. 

2 minutes ago, Steven trejo said:

Hey it’s accually going very well, already have all the signals down packed zone A+B and definitions I would say I know 50% :) I’m just grateful for this opportunity 🙏🏼 . Studying everyday 3-4 hours and my days off all day ; ) 

thank you ,

-Steven Trejo .

3-4 hours? How many more weeks do you have left to study?  I would add another 3-4 more for definitions. 

16 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

3-4 hours? How many more weeks do you have left to study?  I would add another 3-4 more for definitions. 

I have 4 more weeks too go, I honestly think I have a good pace right now. I do flash cards everyday , listen to my audio definitions throughout the day and writing it down 2-3 times each, the ones I’m having difficulty on. :) 

-Steven Trejo .

I attended the open house back on 4/9. One of the most anxious days I've had in recent memory as they called out the names who didn't pass. Thankfully I  was blessed to have moved on to the next step in the process. Next is a call for the s&d overview which I'm hoping is coming soon.I really felt bad for those sent home this early, as this is the only part I consider to be a toss up because you really didn't know what to expect on those tests, every test from now forward is up to you and how bad you want it. I know I will be one of the fifteen they choose for phase one, that's just how bad I want it. Hope to see some of you there. 

On 4/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, Iwetoddit said:

Just got home from Open House today.  There was over 100 people there and roughly 20 failed the tests.  Had my interview which was pretty direct, Hope I said the right things.  Now the waiting game begins. 

Can you keep me posted Iwetoddit on when you hear anything else from them regarding a background check or s&d invitation,  I'll definitely do the same 

On 4/16/2019 at 5:36 PM, Lirrdream said:

Can you keep me posted Iwetoddit on when you hear anything else from them regarding a background check or s&d invitation,  I'll definitely do the same 

Absolutely, hopefully we aren’t waiting too long. As for the background check, I believe it is done right before beginning Phase 2 when you actually become a railroad employee. 

11 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

Absolutely, hopefully we aren’t waiting too long. As for the background check, I believe it is done right before beginning Phase 2 when you actually become a railroad employee. 

Phase 2 really are you sure? I'm taking my S&D in may, hope to see all of you guys the there :) 

-Steven Trejo .

8 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

Background check for me was before S&D. Now I think it’s after S&D before the panel interview. It won’t be before phase 2 since since phase 2 starts 2-3 weeks after phase 1. Those weeks are for your physical and the results. 

3 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Background check for me was before S&D. Now I think it’s after S&D before the panel interview. It won’t be before phase 2 since since phase 2 starts 2-3 weeks after phase 1. Those weeks are for your physical and the results. 

Thank you very much for the clarification drenyce. I've read through this thread a few times and love to see the progress you've made over the years from open house to now. Is this career what you hoped for before making it? Would you go through this process again if you had to? I'm pretty sure there is a strong sense of pride when wearing the "green card " knowing all you've done to get this far.

1 hour ago, Steven trejo said:

Yep, that's what I thought too background after s&d then panel, then phase 1 right ? I'm studying all day today and tomorrow till 2 am :) 

-steven Trejo 

I passed my S&D test, and had my panel interview, and never had a background check done. Unless they did it and didn't mention anything? I'm still waiting to get into phase 1.