LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

46 minutes ago, RCARR said:

I passed my S&D test, and had my panel interview, and never had a background check done. Unless they did it and didn't mention anything? I'm still waiting to get into phase 1.

Nice, when did you take s&d ? 

-Steven Trejo .

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, republic said:

That's correct. Background check is between phases 1 and 2 now. 

It’s like you could go through phase 1 and then ultimately find out that you were disqualified. I think that’s not ok but that’s how they do it .

-steven Trejo 

6 hours ago, Lirrdream said:

Thank you very much for the clarification drenyce. I've read through this thread a few times and love to see the progress you've made over the years from open house to now. Is this career what you hoped for before making it? Would you go through this process again if you had to? I'm pretty sure there is a strong sense of pride when wearing the "green card " knowing all you've done to get this far.

I do take pride in what I do. I worked had to get this green card. You got to fight twice as hard to keep it from being taken. This wasn’t a career I was hoping for. But I’m glad I made the switch. But the job comes with its pros and cons. I wouldn’t want to do the program again. Hellllll noooooooo. Worst 14 months ever. You will gain weight, depression, anxiety. You will forget about your family. Always in the back of your mind if your going to pass or not. This system is is designed to make you study. No way around it. No cheating or anything. Your only cheating yourself if you don’t put the time in. 

9 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Just recieved my s&d invitation Iwetoddit, it's for may 4 at the hillside station. You should be seeing one soon as well. Hopefully I'll see you there. I'm just glad I'm given this almost once in a lifetime opportunity.

It’s once in a lifetime in phase 2. You can fail S&D and Fail phase 1. You can re apply after a year. Once you fail out of phase 2. Your black listed. You can’t even apply for conductor or any transportation job in the railroad. 

4 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

It’s once in a lifetime in phase 2. You can fail S&D and Fail phase 1. You can re apply after a year. Once you fail out of phase 2. Your black listed. You can’t even apply for conductor or any transportation job in the railroad. 

Wow, definitely didn't know about the blacklisted part, that's good to know, more inspiration to keep chopping away. Thank you for the insight drenyce.

11 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

This question may be off topic but how are restroom situations handled with engineers? I know there is a strict schedule to adhere to,  so I'm just curious. 

12 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

This question may be off topic but how are restroom situations handled with engineers? I know there is a strict schedule to adhere to,  so I'm just curious. 

You can use it before the trip. Or after. If it’s during. You got to call the bureau and explain your delay. 

31 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

I do take pride in what I do. I worked had to get this green card. You got to fight twice as hard to keep it from being taken. This wasn’t a career I was hoping for. But I’m glad I made the switch. But the job comes with its pros and cons. I wouldn’t want to do the program again. Hellllll noooooooo. Worst 14 months ever. You will gain weight, depression, anxiety. You will forget about your family. Always in the back of your mind if your going to pass or not. This system is is designed to make you study. No way around it. No cheating or anything. Your only cheating yourself if you don’t put the time in. 

So phase 1 and phase 2 is 14 in total of training?

and is phase 2 compinsated? 

51 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Just recieved my s&d invitation Iwetoddit, it's for may 4 at the hillside station. You should be seeing one soon as well. Hopefully I'll see you there. I'm just glad I'm given this almost once in a lifetime opportunity.

Yes, I received my invite to the S&D also.  Very excited!  Getting myself mentally prepared to buckle down and study.  My fiancée is going to have to adjust. 

We were supposed to get married next year.  Should I continue with that planning?

1 minute ago, Iwetoddit said:

Yes, I received my invite to the S&D also.  Very excited!  Getting myself mentally prepared to buckle down and study.  My fiancée is going to have to adjust. 

We were supposed to get married next year.  Should I continue with that planning?

Is it possible you can have the wedding at one of the train facilities? Lol just kidding man, it definitely would be rough from what I've gathered about the schedule. 

5 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Is it possible you can have the wedding at one of the train facilities? Lol just kidding man, it definitely would be rough from what I've gathered about the schedule. 

I just wanted to know when the compensation starts ? Bc i might have to tell my manager ahead of time . 

19 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

I would reschedule when that time comes. Or make sure it falls on a weekend. you could forget about going on a honeymoon. That’s going to have to wait until you qualify. And it’s gonna be in January. 

Edited by drenyce311

19 minutes ago, Steven trejo said:

Ok gotcha, so we actually get paid for phase 1 and 2? And so phase 2 is Monday - Friday then ?

Phase 1 is unpaid. But you do compensated for phase 1 after you graduate. Once you start phase 2. You start  accumulating hours. Mostly you’ll start on a Wednesday since that’s the beginning of the pay period. 

7 minutes ago, Steven trejo said:

I just wanted to know when the compensation starts ? Bc i might have to tell my manager ahead of time . 

Phase 1 is not compensated and is Wednesday nights and Saturdays. Do not quit your job until you are confirmed for Phase 2. 

On 4/18/2019 at 3:36 PM, republic said:

Phase 1 is not compensated and is Wednesday nights and Saturdays. Do not quit your job until you are confirmed for Phase 2. 

Best advice, you may pass Phase 1 and be put in a holding pattern for phase 2. 

Classes get cancelled, downsized and shifted and there are rumblings that the timing between phase 1 & 2 will change. 

So don't flip off your boss just yet.