LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, Steven trejo said:

What's going on bro?  

I tried calling Michelle Drew during the week at different times and received messages that her voicemail was full followed by the line disconnecting. So I figure she must be unavailable for the foreseeable future (perhaps on vacation time?) unless that was just bad luck. Regardless, I was hoping someone had an alternative number to call.

16 hours ago, them26 said:

I tried calling Michelle Drew during the week at different times and received messages that her voicemail was full followed by the line disconnecting. So I figure she must be unavailable for the foreseeable future (perhaps on vacation time?) unless that was just bad luck. Regardless, I was hoping someone had an alternative number to call.

Send HR an email.

Good morning,

Congratulations to everyone who has passed and are now moving on to the next phase.

Can someone please confirm if the following is accurate:

If a person passes the S&D test, the next step is a panel interview and then Phase 1 - which is a 6 week non-compensated training program?

I tried to follow the thread, but to be honest I got confused.

Thanks for any/all responses.

I attended the S&D review on June 15th; the test is scheduled for July 20th. 

There were 53 people at the review.  People I spoke with had attended the open house in April, like myself, and the one in May.  There may have been people from earlier open houses but I can't verify that.

Apparently, there is another S&D review scheduled for June 22nd.

There's a good amount of material to absorb.  However, according to the instructors, there is no need to understand the concept behind the definitions for this test, which makes things a little easier.

The instructor said in the old days, they only gave them 3 weeks to study before taking the test. He said if you didn't know it in 3 weeks, you wouldn't know it in 5 weeks.  I took this point to heart.   My goal is to memorize all the signals and all the definitions in 3 weeks and review the last  2 weeks.  This goes against my usual study style which is to cram.  Cramming is not going to work here, that's for certain.

What the instructors said that I found most disturbing was the high percentage of no shows to the test and the the low percentage of people who actually pass the S&D test.  The instructors mentioned that only 4 people passed the last test.  This tells me you need to know the signals and definitions as well as you know your own name if you expect to pass this test. 

They said they want to start a phase 1 class in around 6 weeks.  My guess is they're looking for a few more people from the 6/15 + 6/22 reviews to pass the test next month before starting up a phase 1 class.

4 minutes ago, Frazzles said:

There were 53 people at the review.  People I spoke with had attended the open house in April, like myself, and the one in May.  There may have been people from earlier open houses but I can't verify that.

There's a good amount of material to absorb.  However, according to the instructors, there is no need to understand the concept behind the definitions for this test, which makes things a little easier.

The instructor said in the old days, they only gave them 3 weeks to study before taking the test. He said if you didn't know it in 3 weeks, you wouldn't know it in 5 weeks.  I took this point to heart.   My goal is to memorize all the signals and all the definitions in 3 weeks and review the last  2 weeks.  This goes against my usual study style which is to cram.  Cramming is not going to work here, that's for certain.

What the instructors said that I found most disturbing was the high percentage of no shows to the test and the the low percentage of people who actually pass the S&D test.  The instructors mentioned that only 4 people passed the last test.  This tells me you need to know the signals and definitions as well as you know your own name if you expect to pass this test. 

They said they want to start a phase 1 class in around 6 weeks.  My guess is they're looking for a few more people from the 6/15 + 6/22 reviews to pass the test next month before starting up a phase 1 class.

Looks like phase one is not to far away, thanks for the insight:) and good luck study hard day in and day out ! 💪💪💪

11 minutes ago, Frazzles said:

What’s up Frazzle. Yes you are right. You don’t need to understand what your reading. Just need to memorize it. But sometimes people need to understand what they’re reading to understand it themselves. I always tell people. Don’t get caught up in understanding, it’ll just make it harder. 

As for the phase 1 classes. And those selected are from various different open houses. Usually they’ll get the top scorers and put them together. Then the next class with be the 90-80 scorers plus whoever is waiting to get in the class. There’s a phase 1 every 2-3 months at the same time a class is graduating. As for the low numbers. It is a lot of information to grasp. Some usually walk out the first day of phase 1 once they see the rule book. 

It’s definitely not the usual cram for the test type of scenario. Usually by the 3rd week you should have 98% memorized and the last 2 weeks to sharpen the verbatim part of it. 

Good luck. 

Edited by drenyce311

2 hours ago, Frazzles said:

Congrats!

One thing I read on this forum was to begin with definitions.  For me, it made everything else easier to learn and, believe it or not, understand it better.  Then I tackled signals which I found easier than one would imagine.  There are 126 but the names are the same for more than one and a lot of them are pretty similar, at least for me.  Indications are very similar from signal to signal.  I made associations that allowed me to register it quicker.

Thanks for the heads up about phase 1.  It gives me a good gauge as to when I could expect to let my employer know I will need to leave a little early on Wednesday’s.  I actually began a new job and hope it doesn’t pose a problem.  It’s amazing how everything has happened so quickly.  But like I said before, if it’s meant to work out, the Lord will make it work.

As for what @drenyce311 says about the rule book, if those that passed can do it on their own, we will be able to do it with instruction.  No one should be giving up after 5 weeks of intense studying and training.  That’s my stand on it.  But there has been enough warning about the road getting tougher.  So we all should be on the same page as to what to expect and prepare to bust our booties.  This opportunity is better than what I’m doing now, although it’s still a state entity, but I will not go without a fight.

Good Luck to all on your S&D studying.  3-4 hours daily is good and the Quizlet app helped a lot.  Just make sure the definitions are the same as the handout.  There can be differences.  

10 hours ago, Elaine said:

Good morning,

Congratulations to everyone who has passed and are now moving on to the next phase.

Can someone please confirm if the following is accurate:

If a person passes the S&D test, the next step is a panel interview and then Phase 1 - which is a 6 week non-compensated training program?

I tried to follow the thread, but to be honest I got confused.

Thanks for any/all responses.

That is correct Elaine.  When one makes it to phase 2 they are employees of LIRR and then will you get a lump sum payment for phase 1.  There is a medical and background done between phase 1 and 2.

55 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

That is correct Elaine.  When one makes it to phase 2 they are employees of LIRR and then will you get a lump sum payment for phase 1.  There is a medical and background done between phase 1 and 2.

lwetoddit, thank you for responding to my post.

1 hour ago, Iwetoddit said:

Lump sum payment is paid out after completion of phase 2. 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:55 AM, Frazzles said:

Hi which, creators quizlet did you guys use to review the S&D?

Panel interview was yesterday morning. I was just a bit nervous but they do a great job at making you feel comfortable. I think it went well. A small writing portion and some rules and regulations to look over before the interview. Now the wait for phase one begins....

46 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Panel interview was yesterday morning. I was just a bit nervous but they do a great job at making you feel comfortable. I think it went well. A small writing portion and some rules and regulations to look over before the interview. Now the wait for phase one begins....

Congrats, hopefully we are not waiting too long :) im still reviewing everyday 🤓😉

3 hours ago, Lirrdream said:

Interesting, thanks for sharing.  Best of luck.

My interview is next week.  Looking forward to it.

Hey guys, I was at the open house on June 3rd. Has anyone gotten the email yet for the S&D overview yet? I know it’s coming,  just getting anxious lol. My interviewer did say it could take awhile, and to pay attention to your emails going forward. 

I was also looking to see if any one from 6/3 open house was contacted. Do you know if everyone who passed the open house test and was interviewed will be invited to the S&D overview or do they use a selection process from that pool of candidates. Also, I was curious , did you or anyone you know write a thank you or follow up email to the person you interviewed with? I am just trying to figure out how to be successful and make it through the process

22 hours ago, Alberto said:

Hey guys, I was at the open house on June 3rd. Has anyone gotten the email yet for the S&D overview yet? I know it’s coming,  just getting anxious lol. My interviewer did say it could take awhile, and to pay attention to your emails going forward. 

47 minutes ago, Ador said:

I was also looking to see if any one from 6/3 open house was contacted. Do you know if everyone who passed the open house test and was interviewed will be invited to the S&D overview or do they use a selection process from that pool of candidates. Also, I was curious , did you or anyone you know write a thank you or follow up email to the person you interviewed with? I am just trying to figure out how to be successful and make it through the process

The pool of candidates begins after the open house.  From what I understand you are rated at every step in the process.  I took my S&D exam on June 8th and their were people from my open house on 4/9 just invited to the last S&D overview on June 15th.  And I have my panel interview tomorrow 2 1/2 weeks after my exam.  And I believe @Steven trejo had his panel around a month after his test and was contacted 2 1/2 weeks after his test for that interview.

So the best thing is to be patient.  There is no exact timeline to the process.  Be ready when the time comes though cause the S&D is no joke.  I would suggest reading through this thread.  There is great insight and advice given throughout the life of it.  And if you can’t give time to read through it, then you won’t give the time to study properly for the S&D.