LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2019 at 5:17 PM, Kicker said:

That's how they do it If you failed you would not of had the interview  scores are keep secret 

How long does it take for the next step after passing the cognitive and vocabulary test from the open house. My test was last Monday 7/29. According to everyone here on the forum if I spoke to HR after my test. I passed. So I'm excited. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Steven trejo said:

Hey how do you know it’s crowded at 12 lol And is this phase 1 you’re talking about ? :)

Usually for phase 1 it’s at least 14 candidates. After the phase 1 test. The Top 12 scores will go to phase 2. Not including candidates that are waiting for phase 2. So whoever the 12th guy is. He might start the following class. I spoke a student the other day. He said they’re trying to get 18 in class. That’s pretty extreme. Not enough resources, instructors, jobs to go around. They’re are already 40-50 students out there over lapping jobs to work. 

Hey everyone- I took my S and D July 20th. Just got a call today for an interview middle of September. Hope I can make it through with a quick turn around and make it into phase 1 with the rest of you who are posting (Steve ect). Keep me posted if anyone here’s when phase 1 does begin. 

9 minutes ago, Steven trejo said:

Hey guys, just checking in.. reviewing all my flash cards every other day until I get called for phase 1 who’s with me!?! :) 🤓 p.s. “attitude is everything” 

10 minutes ago, Steven trejo said:

Hey guys, just checking in.. reviewing all my flash cards every other day until I get called for phase 1 who’s with me!?! :) 🤓 p.s. “attitude is everything” 

-Steve 

Hi steve what's up I'm steve as well. Good luck.being you've been through the beginning process I attended the open house on 7/29/19 at the hillside Facility. After we took the vocabulary and cognitive test we were told to wait in the lobby. I was the 2nd one called in by a HR rep. I was seated at a desk in the back of the class room we took the exam in. She went over my application and resume and made sure its matched. Then she had questionare paper in front of her and then she asked me a series of questions pertaining to the job title. After that I was told I was free to leave. I asked before I left if I passed? The HR rep said Lucille Marino from HR will get back to you either way. I know I asked this before but I have to again. Did I pass, am i qualified for the next step. It's been 10days since i took the test and no word on anything. Can you let me know what to expect. I was told by many if you didn't pass the tests given you were just sent home. Is this true? Did they change the way they do things now? Just very anxious.this is my childhood dream to be a locomotive Engineer. Again good luck to you and yes attitude is everything. 

16 minutes ago, Stephen becker said:

Congrats! If you got interviewed the same day then you passed, I got an email two weeks after my open house on March 18 then got email the 26th for signals and definition exam :) 

Edited by Steven trejo

@Steven trejo same here brother, studying every day to keep the information fresh. You're absolutely right about a positive attitude going a long way. I just look at it this way,  enjoy my free time now because once they call me its laser focus and grind mode for the foreseeable future.. @Iwetoddit how have you been holding up? Anxiously awaiting a call or email like I am? The timeframe for when they anticipate the next phase one class is creeping up on us, hopefully we can all see each other in class.

13 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

@Steven trejo same here brother, studying every day to keep the information fresh. You're absolutely right about a positive attitude going a long way. I just look at it this way,  enjoy my free time now because once they call me its laser focus and grind mode for the foreseeable future.. @Iwetoddit how have you been holding up? Anxiously awaiting a call or email like I am? The timeframe for when they anticipate the next phase one class is creeping up on us, hopefully we can all see each other in class.

I’m reviewing sporadically.  It’s amazing what the mind can retain when you ingrain it in.  I do make mistakes when I review but since I have been learning a new job I’m ensuring I learn that  I don’t take away from that.  But as I being to practice again it goes along smoothly and I remember again.   And I’m with you @Lirrdream checking that email constantly.  

I’ll be honest, I just started a new job with the state.  The benefits are awesome as you build time.  The salary isn’t the same but then the stress levels are almost non-existent.  But there is something about driving trains that appeals to me.  I have always loved trains, as cliche as it may sound.  So I am hoping for this.

Im sure we will begin to hear something at the end of this month.

@Stephen becker if you were interviewed you are set to go on to the next step.  When that may be is something that can’t be measured.  Just be ready when it comes.  Learning the definitions and signals is complete dedication.  I didn’t drink or party for all 5 weeks that I was studying and preparing.  Barely did anything social and was working my previous job.  And it paid off as I was only one of 3 or 4 (heard conflicting accounts) out of about 26.  It’s nerve wrecking but so gratifying when you know you passed.

On 8/4/2019 at 10:18 PM, drenyce311 said:

Usually for phase 1 it’s at least 14 candidates. After the phase 1 test. The Top 12 scores will go to phase 2. Not including candidates that are waiting for phase 2. So whoever the 12th guy is. He might start the following class. I spoke a student the other day. He said they’re trying to get 18 in class. That’s pretty extreme. Not enough resources, instructors, jobs to go around. They’re are already 40-50 students out there over lapping jobs to work. 

Spoke to the September class instructor it is supposed 14 for Phase   which will make things very difficult to be sure.

My interview before phase 1 is in the middle of sept in 5 weeks. I looked through a lot of the board and seen that some interviews were only after a week or two after getting word that people passed the S&D. I have no idea how many people in my group from the July 20th and 27th S&D passed. Im happy I am one of them tho. Do you think the next class for phase one will be early sept or towards the end. Hope to see you guys in the class.

10 hours ago, Nick27 said:

My interview before phase 1 is in the middle of sept in 5 weeks. I looked through a lot of the board and seen that some interviews were only after a week or two after getting word that people passed the S&D. I have no idea how many people in my group from the July 20th and 27th S&D passed. Im happy I am one of them tho. Do you think the next class for phase one will be early sept or towards the end. Hope to see you guys in the class.

Congrats on getting an interview! I took the test on July 27th and haven't heard back yet, I'm a little nervous since you heard back already but I'm still optimistic. Hopefully Phase I starts the end of Sept so people from the July tests can get in.

4 hours ago, Lirrguy19 said:

Congrats on getting an interview! I took the test on July 27th and haven't heard back yet, I'm a little nervous since you heard back already but I'm still optimistic. Hopefully Phase I starts the end of Sept so people from the July tests can get in.

There are some from June waiting as well.  I think it will depend on scores/ratings and interview.  There will be one more class for this year.  That’s how I heard it at my interview. 

14 hours ago, Lirrguy19 said:

I am just like you. I Got nervous I was not hearing back, but like they say, no news is good news. I had to keep telling myself that if I didn’t make the cut they would have notified me.  When that phone rang I got even more nervous thinking I jinxed myself but in the end it all worked out :) 

Anyone know on the Signals and Definitions test do they group the Amtrak aspects into the LIRR ones? Like are they all mixed together or is it a separate section like in the study material? They are almost identical to some of the LIRR ones and have a completely different meaning. Taking the S & D september 7th and studying as much as possible working a full time job lol

11 minutes ago, nextengineer said:

Anyone know on the Signals and Definitions test do they group the Amtrak aspects into the LIRR ones? Like are they all mixed together or is it a separate section like in the study material? They are almost identical to some of the LIRR ones and have a completely different meaning. Taking the S & D september 7th and studying as much as possible working a full time job lol

It would specify. Ex: RESTRICTING (ZONE A). For LIRR it would just say Ex: RESTRICTING 

Good morning everyone just checking in. Today makes it 2 weeks since my open house and no email stating the next step which would be the Signals and definitions overview. I thankyou for everyone's feedback that if I was seen by HR after my vocabulary and cognitive test that I passed. I'm still not convinced in my mind until I receive that email. It's TRUE nerveracking. So from all the pros out there what and when should I expect the next step? At my open house I was just given a prelim interview after my test. A questionnaire about the job and my capabilities. I was not given any information to my passing the test. I was not given papers for background check. Just was told Lucele Marino will contact me either way and was told I was free to go. So now 2weeks past and now what. Thanks guys please give me some hope here. This has been my childhood dream. My playground. 

Thanks good luck to you all. 

2 hours ago, Stephen becker said:

Good morning everyone just checking in. Today makes it 2 weeks since my open house and no email stating the next step which would be the Signals and definitions overview. I thankyou for everyone's feedback that if I was seen by HR after my vocabulary and cognitive test that I passed. I'm still not convinced in my mind until I receive that email. It's TRUE nerveracking. So from all the pros out there what and when should I expect the next step? At my open house I was just given a prelim interview after my test. A questionnaire about the job and my capabilities. I was not given any information to my passing the test. I was not given papers for background check. Just was told Lucele Marino will contact me either way and was told I was free to go. So now 2weeks past and now what. Thanks guys please give me some hope here. This has been my childhood dream. My playground. 

Thanks good luck to you all. 

From my experience they contact you when they have room in the next S & D overview / test. It took a little over a month from when I had the initial interview till when I was emailed about the S & D overview. Its coming man, don't lose hope!

12 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

It would specify. Ex: RESTRICTING (ZONE A). For LIRR it would just say Ex: RESTRICTING 

Thanks man for the info. So on the section where you are only identifying the Aspects by picture, do they break it down the same way? 

Also when you need to define the Aspects, are they showing a picture of the aspect and you have to define it or would it just say "Restricting" and you would need to define?

9 minutes ago, nextengineer said:

Thanks man for the info. So on the section where you are only identifying the Aspects by picture, do they break it down the same way? 

Also when you need to define the Aspects, are they showing a picture of the aspect and you have to define it or would it just say "Restricting" and you would need to define?

I was in that S&D overview on the 3rd too. She said you’ll see the aspect by name, and you have to write out the indication. 

4 hours ago, nextengineer said:

The signals, it would be the picture, then write out the name of the signal. All 135 of them. For the indications for the signal, it would be part of the indications and definitions test. !!!VERBATIM!!!

Edited by drenyce311

Don’t get caught up on the word “indication”. To us it means the signals come with an indication and a definition for each one. For the signals test, write out the ASPECT (Name of signal). The verbatim part of the test, it will be stated as INDICATION (Write out definition of the signal). Hope this helps.