LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

You guys are making me feel like a relic. I'm 51 and this is my only shot at this. Alberto, you can reapply in a year. Don't give up. Old or not, I still have to work into my 70's due to terrible 401k options available in my past and NO pension. Where I work now or on the railroad - makes no difference - I still have to be at the top of my game.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2020 at 9:50 PM, CarlosMQ said:

Hey guys good luck to all that are going through the process sorry to here that @Alberto. I went through the whole program and just finished phase 2, Nov. 7, 2019. It was a crazy year had a lot going on in my life while doing the program, but just keep studying it all pays off at the end now I’m a qualified engineer and I’m loving not having to study how I was as a trainee. Any questions guys just let me know I’ll try to answer you guys back as soon as I can. 

Congratulations. I'm just starting the process myself. I have the S&D overview coming up. Aside from studying the signals and definitions is there something you would recommend someone who is starting to be better informed of? I have a background in transportation and hauling of materials so I adhere to DOT regulations. Are there any train regulations we need to learn?

55 minutes ago, Zander88 said:

Congratulations. I'm just starting the process myself. I have the S&D overview coming up. Aside from studying the signals and definitions is there something you would recommend someone who is starting to be better informed of? I have a background in transportation and hauling of materials so I adhere to DOT regulations. Are there any train regulations we need to learn?

At the overview, try to grab an extra copy of both the signals and definitions. You can make your flashcards from one set and keep the other set with you in a book bag or something.

3 hours ago, Zander88 said:

You’ll learn about them in phase 2. Airbrake is your best friend. 

26 minutes ago, Norwhich77 said:

hi guys I'm brand new here and congratulation to all that has pass and became engineers .. i received my invitation this week to come for an open house in February .. i also received an invitation to come take the ny/nj path train exam .. 

Welcome. My suggestion would be to do both. 

you can apply at their website ny/nj port authority i believe its still up,  it was up for many weeks now ... a lot of people didn't applied 

they just got their new contract 49$ an hr the contract is the same with port authority police , their old contract was 38$ top pay but now its 49$ for train engineers 

7 minutes ago, Norwhich77 said:

you can apply at their website ny/nj port authority i believe its still up,  it was up for many weeks now ... a lot of people didn't applied 

they just got their new contract 49$ an hr the contract is the same with port authority police , their old contract was 38$ top pay but now its 49$ for train engineers 

Thank you

1 minute ago, Stephen becker said:

Thank you

no problem and good luck if the exam is still on their website apply they need people ... And another thing you can't fail the open exam if you fail the open exam they will ask you to come back and retake it until you pass .. i am speaking from experience 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:19 AM, Plantain-Papi said:

How does the retirement work for Locomotive Engineer? I’ve heard two and three pensions but still unclear as to the exact amount and % of best years, etc etc. Any insight is greatly appreciated? 

Also, what can one expect to earn average throughout ones career?

There is a whole formula to calculate a pension but it varies on earnings.  Don’t get caught up on that yet.  All I can say is the benefits are good and you can earn a very decent living.  Focus on getting through S&D and/or Phase 1 and then Phase 2.  Plenty to wrap your head around before worrying about pension(s), lol.  Good luck to all.

2 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

There is a whole formula to calculate a pension but it varies on earnings.  Don’t get caught up on that yet.  All I can say is the benefits are good and you can earn a very decent living.  Focus on getting through S&D and/or Phase 1 and then Phase 2.  Plenty to wrap your head around before worrying about pension(s), lol.  Good luck to all.

I hear you on that but I have the opportunity to become a Suffolk or Nassau County Police officer as well as a locomotive engineer so I’m weighing all of the pros and cons of the jobs. All three are shaping up to present themselves at similar times. 

7 minutes ago, Plantain-Papi said:

I hear you on that but I have the opportunity to become a Suffolk or Nassau County Police officer as well as a locomotive engineer so I’m weighing all of the pros and cons of the jobs. All three are shaping up to present themselves at similar times. 

When did you took the exam for Suffolk ? i took it last summer 2019 but haven’t heard or gotten anything back yet dont even know if i pass or fail .. Suffolk, Nassau and Lirr 😳 good luck u Are at the driver seat now 👍 .. 

1 minute ago, Norwhich77 said:

When did you took the exam for Suffolk ? i took it last summer 2019 but haven’t heard or gotten anything back yet dont even know if i pass or fail .. Suffolk, Nassau and Lirr 😳 good luck u Are at the driver seat now 👍 .. 

I took it in June this past summer. They sent out letters that arrived this past week as well as had the lottery for 95’s this past Wednesday. The official list will be posted this week but here is the first list they posted with all 95’s tied for 213: SCPD Scores 

9 minutes ago, Plantain-Papi said:

I took it in June this past summer. They sent out letters that arrived this past week as well as had the lottery for 95’s this past Wednesday. The official list will be posted this week but here is the first list they posted with all 95’s tied for 213: SCPD Scores 

Thank you i saw my name i pass but with 90 score .. good luck 👍 i wish u all the best you have some of the best careers to choose from in the tri state .. i always wanted to be a port authority police or a train engineer.. 

17 minutes ago, Norwhich77 said:

Thank you i saw my name i pass but with 90 score .. good luck 👍 i wish u all the best you have some of the best careers to choose from in the tri state .. i always wanted to be a port authority police or a train engineer.. 

Thanks brotha! You have a great opportunity with LIRR so make it happen by any means necessary. 

26 minutes ago, Zander88 said:

As previously mentioned I have my S&D overview next month. Lucille's email says it's from 8am - 3pm at the Hillside Facility. For those who have attended before does it usually last that long? I was thinking of taking my own lunch or are there any nearby spots?

I was out by 11 or sooner. No need to beat a dead horse. They show you what you need to study, give you basic tips that help with remembering signals and you’re on your way to studying hard for the next 5 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Zander88 said:

As previously mentioned I have my S&D overview next month. Lucille's email says it's from 8am - 3pm at the Hillside Facility. For those who have attended before does it usually last that long? I was thinking of taking my own lunch or are there any nearby spots?

As I mentioned earlier TAKE 2 COPIES of each booklet. I was out of my class before lunch. You'll have all day to get started studying.