LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nafets82 said:

Is this the correct steps until graduation?

I think the background check is before phase 1. Not sure if it changed. But mines was right after the open house. Got a email the next day to start the background check. 

Edited by drenyce311

32 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

I think the background check is before phase 1. Not sure if it changed. But mines was right after the open house. Got a email the next day to start the background check. 

Okay thanks man. I got my s&d overview on Saturday, and I’m pretty excited.

• 2 weeks later...

Are some of the Zone "A" signals no longer used? I noticed while on quizlet that some of the signals others had on there weren't in my study guide. I read on previous pages that definitions sometimes change. That was evident at the overview where the instructor had one thing up on the projector and the study guide had something else for one of the definitions. 

10 hours ago, Zander88 said:

Are some of the Zone "A" signals no longer used? I noticed while on quizlet that some of the signals others had on there weren't in my study guide. I read on previous pages that definitions sometimes change. That was evident at the overview where the instructor had one thing up on the projector and the study guide had something else for one of the definitions. 

Anything can change from one class to the next.  As for Quizlet, make your own study set.  Do not go by what was previously entered.  

Go by what the instructor gave you at the overview.  That is what you will be graded on.

The only thing I can think of with Zone A signals is that they used position light signals before changing them to color signals.  Like I said before, go by what you have in the packet.  

The packet is your “bible” don’t let outside information sway you.  

2 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

Anything can change from one class to the next.  As for Quizlet, make your own study set.  Do not go by what was previously entered.  

Go by what the instructor gave you at the overview.  That is what you will be graded on.

The only thing I can think of with Zone A signals is that they used position light signals before changing them to color signals.  Like I said before, go by what you have in the packet.  

The packet is your “bible” don’t let outside information sway you.  

Thanks. I actually made my own flashcards for the definitions on Word first. After finding quizlet I then copied and pasted the Word document to make my own set. The signals I copied from someone else and had to correct a few things while editing my "version". I checked word for word that everything matched. That's where I noticed that some signal images weren't on my packet. I've been writing everything (definitions & indications) 5x each in a notebook. While driving I used to listen to podcasts but now listen to a recording of me reading everything. I have an hour commute each way. Feeling good about this at the beginning of my 2nd week studying. 

On 2/17/2020 at 12:07 PM, Zander88 said:

Thanks. I actually made my own flashcards for the definitions on Word first. After finding quizlet I then copied and pasted the Word document to make my own set. The signals I copied from someone else and had to correct a few things while editing my "version". I checked word for word that everything matched. That's where I noticed that some signal images weren't on my packet. I've been writing everything (definitions & indications) 5x each in a notebook. While driving I used to listen to podcasts but now listen to a recording of me reading everything. I have an hour commute each way. Feeling good about this at the beginning of my 2nd week studying. 

I'm feeling pretty good as well about studying. I've studied just definitions so far going page by page. I made flashcards then wrote each definition down until I essentially had it memorized. I've completed the definitions and this week is strictly review of all definitions in every way possible. Next week I'll tackle signals. Weeks 4-5 will be for review.   

7 hours ago, Richkdr said:

I'm feeling pretty good as well about studying. I've studied just definitions so far going page by page. I made flashcards then wrote each definition down until I essentially had it memorized. I've completed the definitions and this week is strictly review of all definitions in every way possible. Next week I'll tackle signals. Weeks 4-5 will be for review.   

Whatever works for you.  Just don’t put it down.  One thing you will learn is how your own mind works.  It’s an amazing muscle that can retain a lot of information.  

Good luck!

sent my application in a year and a half ago, I forgot i even applied.  'im new to this website as well I'm unable to message anyone directly it seems... can anyone lend some knowledge on what i can expect of the 3 lirr tests coming up please? esp the cognitive , what can i expect to see on the test i really need to pass. anything that you can remember ill take it 

57 minutes ago, john score said:

sent my application in a year and a half ago, I forgot i even applied.  'im new to this website as well I'm unable to message anyone directly it seems... can anyone lend some knowledge on what i can expect of the 3 lirr tests coming up please? esp the cognitive , what can i expect to see on the test i really need to pass. anything that you can remember ill take it 

What’s up bro. Scroll through the forum. This has been answered numerous times. Very helpful info. My advise is you will either know the material or not. Can’t prepare for it. It’s all common sense and reasoning. 

10 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

What’s up bro. Scroll through the forum. This has been answered numerous times. Very helpful info. My advise is you will either know the material or not. Can’t prepare for it. It’s all common sense and reasoning. 

yeah lol. ill have to grab some chips and see what i can find in the thread

On 2/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, BrotherOne said:

Does anyone know when the next Phase One will start? 

Also, how much time is there between passing Phase One and starting Phase Two?

The last phase 1 class just took their exam.  Shouldn’t be too long before they organize the next class.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Iwetoddit said:

Next phase 1 is scheduled to begin around the end of April.  Those that are waiting should gear up and begin reviewing if you haven’t done so already.

Thanks for the tip. I hope this covid-19 thing doesn't postpone the process like its postponing everything else.