LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, has anyone who took the S&D test on May 7th heard anything back yet? I had emailed HR a few times and the one time they responded back all they said was "We are still in the recruitment process" back on June 8th. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also took the S&D test on may 7th.  They called me the last week in June to ask for my current job employee ID number. They said they were starting the pre employment applications but haven’t heard anything from them since then.

In addition they wouldn’t give any information of passing/failing or when or if we should hear back from them anytime soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone I also took the test may 7th and I got a call back on Monday august 22nd.  My interview is in September. 
Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask for the interview?

BTW: congrats to all the people who received the call back.  Good luck everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 10:51 PM, yungfeenxm23 said:

Hi everyone I’m on the NYCT side of MTA but currently reside on the border of queens and LI. Can anyone tell me what’s the best way of getting my foot into LIRR whether it’s this title or any other? Thank you well appreciated. 

I’m in the same position. Best advice is just apply to any and all jobs you are at least close to qualified for according to the posting. I’ve been with NYCT for a year and a half and have like 60 applications since then. Been on a couple interviews but never any luck. I got called for a recruiting event for this position (Locomotive Engineer) at the end of September so hoping my luck will change, and yours too!

On 8/26/2022 at 12:40 AM, Liline11 said:

How much rules? 

Phase 1 is build up from what you learned for S&D.  So do not put that down or stop studying that.  You will be behind if you are not keeping up.  The number of rules is inconsequential but just be aware, like @drenyce311 said, you need to learn them verbatim.  They used to send a packet with a snippet of which rules to begin studying before you start phase 1.  If they still do, begin learning them along with keeping up with S&D.  

Congrats to all who have begun the process.  Study, study, study.  Learn the habits that work for you to retain the information.  It’s ok to take a day off here and there. The mind needs to relax to absorb what you are giving it.  But key to remember I said here and there, not like a whole week.  And as hard as it is to think of it but you will be missing out on a lot of social events.  Small sacrifice for the huge opportunity.  In this case, the end justifies the means.

Those trying to find employment within MTA, just keep trying.  It’s worth it.

26 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

I just heard for the signals and Definitions test only 7 people showed up. It’s getting very competitive now. Or people aren’t putting the time to study or it isn’t worth the time. Idk. 

Very sad to hear.  You have to put the time to reap the benefits.  Look at the long term, don’t be short sighted.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, drenyce311 said:

I just heard for the signals and Definitions test only 7 people showed up. It’s getting very competitive now. Or people aren’t putting the time to study or it isn’t worth the time. Idk. 

Hey Dre, I’m scheduled to attend an open house for assistant conductor and will be taking the SnD exam also. How difficult is this compared to engineer exams? 

On 9/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, J3737 said:

I’m in the same position. Best advice is just apply to any and all jobs you are at least close to qualified for according to the posting. I’ve been with NYCT for a year and a half and have like 60 applications since then. Been on a couple interviews but never any luck. I got called for a recruiting event for this position (Locomotive Engineer) at the end of September so hoping my luck will change, and yours too!

If they can’t select qualified ppl, then how can you make it a guarantee hire then? This is a problem and no one wants to explain or clarify on this. Are they looking for people who can solve the most difficult math problems in the world?

Edited by 2ride

2 hours ago, 2ride said:

Hey Dre, I’m scheduled to attend an open house for assistant conductor and will be taking the SnD exam also. How difficult is this compared to engineer exams? 

I think it’s the same plus some arithmetic since those who applied for AC have some sort of financial background with handling money like retail, etc 

2 hours ago, 2ride said:

If they can’t select qualified ppl, then how can you make it a guarantee hire then? This is a problem and no one wants to explain or clarify on this. Are they looking for people who can solve the most difficult math problems in the world?

A lot has changed since I got hired. But the process and examining hasn’t. For engineers it’s all about how well you can comprehend, store and recite the information verbatim. This translates to quickly solving an issue out there. But it’s all in the testing. You got to put in the work. It’s overwhelming but it can do be done. There’s 520 engineers on our roster that has done it. But the hiring process hasn’t changed. The way we test later on has changed. It’s all computerized now.but the whole studying process hasn’t. Conductors used to get 7 tries once they start qualifying. Now it’s 3. Engineers is still at 2. But this applies after you pass the S&D after the open house. 

Edited by drenyce311

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

A lot has changed since I got hired. But the process and examining hasn’t. For engineers it’s all about how well you can comprehend, store and recite the information verbatim. This translates to quickly solving an issue out there. But it’s all in the testing. You got to put in the work. It’s overwhelming but it can do be done. There’s 520 engineers on our roster that has done it. But the hiring process hasn’t changed. The way we test later on has changed. It’s all computerized now.but the whole studying process hasn’t. Conductors used to get 7 tries once they start qualifying. Now it’s 3. Engineers is still at 2. But this applies after you pass the S&D after the open house. 

If you pass everything and make it to 2nd interview, that’s where the problem comes in. You can interview well and they still pass you on to somebody else. It ain’t cool at all.

8 hours ago, 2ride said:

If you pass everything and make it to 2nd interview, that’s where the problem comes in. You can interview well and they still pass you on to somebody else. It ain’t cool at all.

I was told once your scored from the minute you take your first test at the open house. The selection process is based on your test scores averaged out including the interview. As for the interview score. Not sure what they’re looking for. I answered them as they came. The Panel is similar to the open house. But more safety sensitive scenarios like “what would you do if you’re stuck between 2 stations during a blizzard? What steps would you take?” They set the bar high. That’s why they invite hundreds of applicants and end up with a class of 10-12