LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

Republic,

I submitted my res 10/07/14.

Seems it took awhile.  But never too late!

BTW, I made it to the interview.  Woo-hoo!

To everyone reading this thread, drenyce311 and his post were very helpful to me.

Take this man seriously.  He knows what he's talking about.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Postal 1,

What do you think you did wrong on the cognitive portion of the test?  What would be your adjustments?

I'll tell you what, the Logic Flow Charts gave me the fits!  I wish I would have learned about these things before I took the test.  I think some may find this website I found AFTER THE FACT to be helpful... 

http://djjr-courses.wikidot.com/ppol225:flow-charts-problems

Postal, I wish you luck on your next attempt.  Hopefully, your adjustments will work for you.

Right now, I'm in the middle of the background check.  I was just asked to give supporting docs (W-2's) to prove I was employed at a company on my resume from 2006.  They called the company but couldn't verify I worked there.  Come to find out, I worked for the same organization but under a different name.  Both companies have the same corporate address, but one is the "trademark" company.  An example of this is, you may think you work for Amtrak, but you actually work for National Railroad Passenger Corporation.  This is very common and the background checkers understand this kind of mistake happens.  

The take away is, check your own resume.  Call up your companies and ensure your history is verifiable.  The background checkers will only pursue verification for 5-6 days.  If no response from a company, they'll close the verification as unverifiable until new information is presented to them.

This process will drive someone mad if you're not cool-headed and prepared.  They wanted verification for a company I worked for in 2006!  Who keeps W-2's or pay stubs that long?  I was lucky to find mine in a box I have in storage.

Word to the wise.  I just want to give a heads up to those that are interested.   ;)

Postal 1,

What do you think you did wrong on the cognitive portion of the test? What would be your adjustments?

I'll tell you what, the Logic Flow Charts gave me the fits! I wish I would have learned about these things before I took the test. I think some may find this website I found AFTER THE FACT to be helpful...

http://djjr-courses.wikidot.com/ppol225:flow-charts-problems

Postal, I wish you luck on your next attempt. Hopefully, your adjustments will work for you.

Right now, I'm in the middle of the background check. I was just asked to give supporting docs (W-2's) to prove I was employed at a company on my resume from 2006. They called the company but couldn't verify I worked there. Come to find out, I worked for the same organization but under a different name. Both companies have the same corporate address, but one is the "trademark" company. An example of this is, you may think you work for Amtrak, but you actually work for National Railroad Passenger Corporation. This is very common and the background checkers understand this kind of mistake happens.

The take away is, check your own resume. Call up your companies and ensure your history is verifiable. The background checkers will only pursue verification for 5-6 days. If no response from a company, they'll close the verification as unverifiable until new information is presented to them.

This process will drive someone mad if you're not cool-headed and prepared. They wanted verification for a company I worked for in 2006! Who keeps W-2's or pay stubs that long? I was lucky to find mine in a box I have in storage.

Word to the wise. I just want to give a heads up to those that are interested. ;)

I was in a similar situation. I was asked for my w2 from 2006. I couldn't find it since I had moved. So they instructed me to log on to the IRS website to get a free transcript.

I was in a similar situation. I was asked for my w2 from 2006. I couldn't find it since I had moved. So they instructed me to log on to the IRS website to get a free transcript.

Free transcript?  How does that work?  How long did it take to get to you?  I would be interested in obtaining a report for my own personal records.

• 4 weeks later...

Free transcript? How does that work? How long did it take to get to you? I would be interested in obtaining a report for my own personal records.

It was free and you can obtain a pdf copy online via the IRS website.

Just a heads up. Still waiting for the call to see if I'm in the August class or if I made it past the panel.

Thanks for the info.

I was going to ask about your notification.  At least you're still in the running.  I have not gotten past the background check as yet.  I am waiting for a call as well.

I have the feeling the your call will come pretty soon... like within the next week or so.  You've been in the process for quite some time, and the class begins next month.  

We'll see.

I hope you get the call, D. How do you think the panel went? What was it like?

Safety questions, life accomplishments, what would you do scenarios. Couldn't get a body language read on them. Very straight face. But they let you feel welcoming so your not that nervous.

Good news! I just received my invite to the S&D Orientation on for July 24th. Has anyone else received a notification?

Good luck and STUDY STUDY STUDY any chance you can get. I haven't studied in the last 3-4 weeks. Had so much going on personally. But will get back to reviewing since August is around the corner.

Edited by drenyce311

• 3 weeks later...

All right folks. Just an FYI. Made it into the August class for phase 1. Excited and anxious to start. Going for my medical and PAS on Wednesday. What does a PAS consist of? What should I expect? And do I wear comfortable clothing? Dress up? They said this is the only place I can dress with sneakers.

All right folks. Just an FYI. Made it into the August class for phase 1. Excited and anxious to start. Going for my medical and PAS on Wednesday. What does a PAS consist of? What should I expect? And do I wear comfortable clothing? Dress up? They said this is the only place I can dress with sneakers.

Everything . They check everything. You also will be climbing up and down a platform same as a you would a train.

Congratulations, D! Well deserved! Can you stay in your current position or did you have to give notice? I'm still hoping they're not done hiring for now.

Congratulations, D! Well deserved! Can you stay in your current position or did you have to give notice? I'm still hoping they're not done hiring for now.

I'm staying in my current position in the meantime. I work nights now. So I'm gonna use some vacay time to come in late Wednesday to work. :). Once I make it into phase 2. I will put in my 2 weeks notice. When I spoke to The poster Mason yesterday. They mentioned they didn't have a full class for August. But they're going to proceed with the candidates anyway. He also mentioned in the last S&D class only 2 people passed. So I'm assuming they will still be inviting folks back.

That is correct, Dre and all.  When we spoke to the guy presiding over the S&D Orientation, he told us that they were two people short of a full class for August, but they're going ahead with it anyway.  And yes, he did mention that out of the twenty or so people that showed up for the S/D test day, only two made it through.

They are possibly looking to fill a class for October.  I know I'll be studying hard to be a part of it.

Congratulations on making it this far, Dre and all.  I'm looking to follow right behind you.

That is correct, Dre and all. When we spoke to the guy presiding over the S&D Orientation, he told us that they were two people short of a full class for August, but they're going ahead with it anyway. And yes, he did mention that out of the twenty or so people that showed up for the S/D test day, only two made it through.

They are possibly looking to fill a class for October. I know I'll be studying hard to be a part of it.

Congratulations on making it this far, Dre and all. I'm looking to follow right behind you.

thanks chief. Study study study. Rooting for you. Can't wait to start.

Was it easier than you expected?

Congrats on making it past another hurdle, btw.

It wasn't bad. I chose the wrong pair of jeans today. Lol. Had to adjust my pants and take stuff out my pockets. Lol. But overall. It was just the PAS and a vision test. The rest will be done after phase 1. A full medical.

And Jim, engineers don't "drive" the train....you let me know if you ever see a steering wheel on one of those things....engineers OPERATE.

I call my engineer the "driver" all the time.  I get a certain feeling come over me when his head is about to explode.  Although in other parts of the world they are called drivers.

All right folks! I just received my final email stating that I have been selected for Phase 1. Been studying more now that they emailed us the Book of Rules to get a head start. This is no joke. So much information. Im sure this is probably nothing from whats going to be thrown at us in phase 1. My question is what can we expect in phase 1? is it just 6 weeks of classroom material?? are we going to at least see a train in a yard during this phase or in phase 2?