R68A

R179 8258

I am going to be honest here, I really like the R160s on the (C). Just had a much newer and cleaner feel, something Fulton St has needed for a long time. I also remember one of the T / Os on here telling me about how he got an R68 (A), not sure if it was a 68A or not, because of a Yankees game once.

Have to say that the R32s on the (J) really just felt like the R42s, no change for me. I was surprised as hell when one pulled up on the express at Broadway Junction on a GO.

I Agree...Much different feel..

Yes because I did realize that cause now I've been seeing only R32 on C and wondering where's the r160, then I concluded that they went back to J, now when I take J a lot of R160, R42, and I saw one R32 so they probably kept like 1 or two set. Plus I live right by the J, A, C, and L lines. Until next year Summer swap.

Le sigh.

More idiotic failfan (not a typo) speculation about the condition of car equipment they don't understand based on passing observances that have little to do with anything.

The R46s are on the A because it has two terminals, and one of which is the Rockaways. The electronic side signs allow quick changes trainline of the destination (between Lefferts and Far Rock), whereas a train with rollsigns would not allow this. This rules out R32s, 42s, and 68/As. New techs are ruled out by the power dip in the Rockaways. One train running out there is fine, but a whole bunch would cause less than nominal power which would cause problems for trains that rely on nearly exactly the correct voltage to function properly.

The 68/A makes one round trip during the week. 32s are mixed in as needed, and generally tried to be kept to the same south destination so sign changing isn't needed.

46s are best because they are the only equipment that meets the demands of the A line at this time for the above reasons.

So that's why they don't swap (A) and (D) fleets.

What about the (R)?

You do realize that you were wrong too, right MTA Dude? Going by your previous posts which is why you were also criticized as well. I know you're a lot younger though and that you're still new here, but I recommend you do some more research as to why the car assignments are set up the they are now.

You do realize that you were wrong too, right MTA Dude? Going by your previous posts which is why you were also criticized as well. I know you're a lot younger though and that you're still new here, but I recommend you do some more research as to why the car assignments are set up the they are now.

Okay, but I can't seem to find anything.

I heard that R68's or A's are not the best where it comes to its brakes, then again was it the R46? A several second delay. (8 sec). Is that true?

Not true at all, R68As are the best braking trains once you learn how to brake them, this takes a while to learn but once you do you would love operating this train. The R46 trains are the trains that can really give you a problem as the brakes can get away from you before you realize it.

TwoTimer's posts also say the same thing about the R68A and a bit more:

As you probably know train has two braking systems, dynamic and friction. [W]hen braking, the train only uses friction below 10mph (more like 5 but officially it says 10). There was a modification done to the 68A where there's a delay between an INITIAL service break request, whether dynamic [or] friction (initial meaning can't release it all always gotta hold some), and the brake actually taking hold. With that said, generally speaking it has the best dynamic brake in the system (better than the 160s and we all know how people charge into stations with those), and with the really good trains no other train type comes close (save high end 160s and well maintained 32s). With those trains, one can enter faster and take brake later than with other train types. Its a timing thing with the delay, whereas with other trains brake comes right when you request it. There's a delay too with the R68, but less than the 68A.

It's all about train control and confidence. The R68A is a piece of crap train when you're not used to it and you've been on NTT and SMEE types where the [brake] comes right away.

One of the reason T/O hates 68A is not only the brakes (big time braking ability, but delay in application), but also because it releases so slowly on some consists that they basically have to hold down the deadman the whole way unless there's a punch or a red signal.

TwoTimer's posts also say the same thing about the R68A and a bit more:

Yeah, the trick of it is that it basically forces you to take your first brake in the middle of the station, because the dynamic grabs so strongly, youhave to fan it off to not stop too soon, but fanning is when you can lose control and not be able to get it back soon enough.

I never got into that taking the the brake later, because stations are different, and in the wrong places ("fast" stations, especially on a down grade), it won't work. So I developed a one size fits all approach, and on the 68A's, you just have to fan further back. (If you do it too much, it repeatedly jerks everyone forward and back). But Still, I got used to it, and the shorter, lighter controller was much more comfortable than on the 46 or 44, and to do long lines like the (A), (F) and (R) in those is grueling. (The (A) was the one place I wished I got the older trains).

Archived