Largest study on resuscitated patients hints at consciousness after death

realizm

near-death.jpg

The largest medical study ever performed on near-death experiences has led researchers to suggest that consciousness can last up to three minutes after a person’s heart and brain have shut down.

The idea that consciousness can continue on after your heart stops beating and your brain stops functioning is a pretty wild one, and naturally courts a lot of scepticism. But the more scientists study the supposed phenomenon, the more certain trends are reinforced, giving us a glimpse into what actually might occur when we die. 

A team of scientists at the University of Southampton in the UK has just finished a four-year study of 2,060 people who experienced cardiac arrests at 15 hospitals across the UK, the US, and Austria. Having conducted interviews with each of the 330 people who survived about their memories of the event, the researchers found that 40 percent of them felt ‘aware’ for the period of time that they were declared clinically dead. The medical staff at the hospitals successfully restarted their hearts so they could live to tell the tale.

Read more: Source

When I got knocked out, I saw everything around me sans people. I guess you only see people (or things) on the other side when the area is haunted.

This thought really freaked me out. When you die/get knocked out you get thrown into this half-life state it seems, where only haunted things are. Like a median between both death and life.

Nothing is always a scary thought, especially in the belief of an afterlife. I'd rather go to hell than be nothing.

Archived