F10's in New Haven & FL-9's on the Wassaic Shuttle

Fred G

It's been a while since we've seen these out and about in service, so let's look.

New Haven first:

01+F10s+411+_amp_+413+at+New+Haven.jpg

F10's laid up in the yard

07+F10s+411+_amp_+413+at+New+Haven+3.jpg

Bonus Pic

08+BL20GH+127+at+New+Haven+2.jpg

BL20GH 127 solo

Coffee Break!

10+Heavenly+Donuts.jpg

Ok break's over...

Now on to the Wassaic Shuttle aka the upper Harlem line.

11+FL-9+2016+at+Southeast.jpg

FL-9s 2016 & 2026 pulling into Southeast Metro North Station. I just got here in time!

16+FL-9+2016+_amp_+2026+south+of+Dover+Plains.jpg

This is just south of Dover Plains

18+FL-9+2016+_amp_+2026+near+Hurds+Corner.jpg

Some pond north of Pawling, Hurds Corner I think this area is called.

24+FL-9+2016+_amp_+2026+at+Harlem+Valley+-+Wingdale+5.jpg

Nature shot at Harlem Valley - Wingdale

26+FL-9+2016+_amp_+2026+at+Towners.jpg

Underneath the Beacon line at Towners

27+FL-9+2016+_amp_+2026+at+Towners+2.jpg

There ya go, some teasers here and the entire album here

Thanks for looking!

Wonderful pics, Fred!

Question: This also attests to your driving skills to keep up with these puppies from station to station? :D

Frank (MTA)

Oh, I'm an excellent driver :(

Seriously, there's really only enough time to catch them at one station in each direction. He's flying up the line otherwise, a lot better time than I can make on Route 22!

Thanks for the compliment, Frank!

Nice Pics

Thanks, emmanuel295 :)

Nice stuff!!

Do they double up on those older units just in case, or do they just not fix the HEP as quickly anymore if it goes out?

- A

Andy, that's exactly why they do it, just in case one conks out, the other can still get the train to station. I spotted a leased Amtrak P40 and another Gennie at Brewster North yard, plus I'm sure they've got another protect engine up there too to rescue the train if need be, but it's better for everyone just to put 2 F units on the train. Better for us photogs, too :D

Nice photos!!

Thanks bud!

Excellent photos Fred! Its been a while since we've seen FL9s on the Wassaic.

Thanks, Pablo, and so true. I've not seen them anyplace other than laid up in yards recently.

Putting them facing away also makes it easier to pass between them if needed too, correct?

On another off topic but related note i really wish (SEPTA) would just get some diesel stuff even some the MNRR uses, or DMU like River LINE uses. Set them on the non-electric routes it abandoned when they took over from conrail.

- A

Putting them facing away also makes it easier to pass between them if needed too, correct?

On another off topic but related note i really wish (SEPTA) would just get some diesel stuff even some the MNRR uses, or DMU like River LINE uses. Set them on the non-electric routes it abandoned when they took over from conrail.

- A

I guess it would make for easier passage between them if there was a need, although there's a hatch on the nose, too. This stuff is all MU'd anyway so most anything is done from cab, even if the lead engine develops problems, IINM (I'm no expert on this stuff).

Just a few months ago, they ran them elephant style:

07+FL-9+2016+_amp_+2026+at+Dykemans.jpg

As for SEPTA, I guess we can talk about that dipspit RR in its own forum :D:P

Archived