Which is the Best Express?

ConcourseExp

If that's the case, then the (J) isn't an express going by your logic. And neither is the (Q) since it skips one extra stop compared to the (J).

Yeah, the (J) isn't either... the (Q) has it's own dedicated express tracks, and if you haven't noticed the (Q) bypasses about 5 stops on Broadway

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the (J) isn't either... the (Q) has it's own dedicated express tracks, and if you haven't noticed the (Q) bypasses about 5 stops on Broadway

The (J) skips 3 stops

The (Q) skips 4 (going to Astoria) or 5 (going to 57 St)

The (J) has its own dedicated track when going express

The (Q) has its own dedicated track when going express

Either they both are express or they both aren't since there isn't much difference between the two

The (M) is express from Broadway–Lafayette Street to Delancey Street–Essex Street. It skips 2 Avenue, which the (F) doesn't.

Well that doesn't count.

Has anyone considered the (4) and (5)? I think they are pretty awesome for the Lexington Avenue line.

I love the Lexington Express. Outside of Rush Hours, the (4)(5) flies down the entire line in about 15-20 minutes. During Rush Hours it is horrible.. I blame the moving platforms at 14 Street.

Well that doesn't count.

I love the Lexington Express. Outside of Rush Hours, the (4)(5) flies down the entire line in about 15-20 minutes. During Rush Hours it is horrible.. I blame the moving platforms at 14 Street.

Is it just me, or is everybody blaming them?

I got this habit of staring out the door, and those who try to catch a train there or peer out are always in a dangerous situation where they have to fight back against the door.

Is it just me, or is everybody blaming them?

I got this habit of staring out the door, and those who try to catch a train there or peer out are always in a dangerous situation where they have to fight back against the door.

I blame the moving platforms. An express train would be at the 14th Street stop for a good 2-3 minutes during rush hours. It takes a while to activate and deactivate the moving platforms. The train crawls as it exits 14th Street just to deactivate the moving platforms. Plus the amount of (4) & (5) trains during rush hours makes the everything between 86th and 14th slow. During mid-days it's not that bad, the only slow point would be from 42nd to 14th. Though it's not that slow sometimes.

I blame the moving platforms. An express train would be at the 14th Street stop for a good 2-3 minutes during rush hours. It takes a while to activate and deactivate the moving platforms. The train crawls as it exits 14th Street just to deactivate the moving platforms. Plus the amount of (4) & (5) trains during rush hours makes the everything between 86th and 14th slow. During mid-days it's not that bad, the only slow point would be from 42nd to 14th. Though it's not that slow sometimes.

Maybe they should rebuild that station entirely.

When the 4 and 5 trains are good, they are GOOD. To get from Woodlawn to Crown Heights in an hour is pretty incredible, especially by a subway train. A drive might take the same about of time, and we are talking about nearly 25 miles!

The D is beautiful too--you can get from the Bronx to Brooklyn extremely quickly, especially when they are going express in the Bronx.

When you really think about it, the D train is the closest thing to a "superexpress" we have.

I would imagine those are probably the quickest trains in the system, in terms of distance covered and time it took to cover it.

When the 4 and 5 trains are good, they are GOOD. To get from Woodlawn to Crown Heights in an hour is pretty incredible, especially by a subway train. A drive might take the same about of time, and we are talking about nearly 25 miles!

The D is beautiful too--you can get from the Bronx to Brooklyn extremely quickly, especially when they are going express in the Bronx.

When you really think about it, the D train is the closest thing to a "superexpress" we have.

I would imagine those are probably the quickest trains in the system, in terms of distance covered and time it took to cover it.

The only local on the (D) really is West End and off peak, Concourse.

The only local on the (D) really is West End and off peak, Concourse.

It's too bad it runs on the West End in Brooklyn. As a 4 Avenue express and Sea Beach local or Brighton express, it could complete its journey even faster. The West End is an example of bad design that the IND actively sought to avoid.

I agree the (4) is like a arrow straight line though the Bronx and Manhattan. Seems like the quickest north to south run overall. Minus the bit of lag in Lower Manhattan.  Bowling Green to 125th in 25 Minutes  for comparison the (D) will do Grand to 125th in 22 mins and 145th in 26 mins. However  from Alantic -Barclays to 161th Yankee Stadium  The (D) beats the (4) by 3-4 Mins ( 39 to 43 mins.) so the (D) isn't slacking at all.

• 1 month later...

Thanks you, (B). I think the (5) is the best express train because it has less stops during rush hours and has better service on the weekends because it is always empty.

Agreed.

The (Z) is the best express line, I am not a hypocrite, because it helps out the (J) and (M) lines, even though it is not always running it is a vintage line that runs in both skip-stop and express.

The (J) has more of an advantage than the (Z) during rush-hour, since it makes one less stop than it.

I rest my case on the (Z) train to be the best express/skip-stop line.

The (E)(F) is better from Queens Plaza to Kew Gardens because I like to have a race with the (M)(R) at Queens Plaza to 65 Street.

You should see the super-express (E) from 179th Street.

The Lex Express between 125th and Grand Central never disappoint in both directions. The trains frekin move in those sections especially between 42nd and 59th(N/B) and bypassing 103rd,110th. Definitely miss the old days when the cats were around hauling on the (4) yes the R-62's.

Also the (4) Bronx Express was amazing too,once the operator went to full power after 167th it was all out to Burnside usually hitting 43 by 176th.

Archived