Which is the Best Express?

ConcourseExp

That "Dash" between 34th and West Fourth just rocks.....

Speaking of which, what is everyone's favorite express run? (Idk if somebody asked this or not)

Mines are:

Roosevelt Av to Forest Hills (E)(F)

59th St to 125th St (A)(D)

125th St to 86th St (4)(5)

Hunts Point to Parkchester <6>

Atlantic to 36 St (D)(N)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That "Dash" between 34th and West Fourth just rocks.....

Don't you know it. If I'm heading south at 59th and there's a D across the platform, I jump on every time. Nothing compares to the speed of that run, which is conceptually a bad idea (skipping 14th Street doesn't really make sense) but so fast and so great to ride. At one point in my life my morning commute involved a transfer at West 4 and getting the B to DeKalb, and there was nothing better than watching that express race into the station. 

at West 4 and getting the B to DeKalb, and there was nothing better than watching that express race into the station. 

After a climb from the deep tunnel, the train slows down considerably. It doesn't really "race" into the station in my opinion.

After a climb from the deep tunnel, the train slows down considerably. It doesn't really "race" into the station in my opinion.

I beg to differ. The train slows from the 45-50 that it hits, yes, but it can still arrive upwards of 30mph.

Example: [97565455's video]

When i worked that Bravo and had Me a Slant i would come flying in that station.. Now  i think there's Timers as well a a speed restriction.

There are no timers between W4 and 34 northbound on 6th Ave. Perhaps he is referring to the timers between 14 and 34 on 8th Ave? Going uptown on 6th Ave. you come into 34 at about 30 due to the grade. Southbound is a speed zone as long as everything is clear up ahead, even with the small tick in the upgrade north of W4 you still come in at better than 40 with a decent train.

I still think the best express stretches are:

(A) in Brooklyn going southbound (northbound the timers prevent you from flying, southbound they are there but don't slow you much except Broadway Junction).

(B) the whole Brooklyn Express

(4)(5) S/B 86 to 59, N/B Brooklyn Bridge to 14, 42 to 59, 86 to 125 (this stretch is amazing if you know how to operate it properly)

(6) Hunts Point to Parkchester

(7) Woodside to Junction Blvd., Willets Point to Junction Blvd.

(2)(3) 72 to 42, 34 to 14, 42 to 72

(B) the whole Brooklyn Express

6~8 years ago, it used to be that I could grab a (Q), transfer to an arriving (B) at Church Avenue or Newkirk Plaza and catch another (Q) at Sheepshead Bay with amazing rates of success. I know the (B) trains didn't get different equipment. Did the (Q) trains get faster, longer headways, or some combination of both? The express doesn't amaze me as much now.

• 1 month later...

(A) is my favorite. I don't know why, just a very smooth ride.

(J)(Z) during rush hour when they do the skip - stop. Got a GO on a (J) where it skipped all the way to Broadway Junction once.

(4)(5) are always reliable for me. Except for this one time I was so backed up, I must have seen 4 (6) go past me.

(Q)<Q> and the (W) on the OG Broadway Express were a favorite of mine. The (Q) is my home line but to be honest, the waiting time on the Broadway Express is unbearable. They really need to turn more of them at 57 St during rush hours...

You're all wrong.

Best is E/F southbound between Roosevelt Ave and Queens Plaza or Queensbridge.

That's your opinion. You could be wrong just as the rest of us. It's an opinion and you can't just call someone else's opinion "wrong".

(4)(5) are always reliable for me. Except for this one time I was so backed up, I must have seen 4 (6) go past me.

(Q)<Q> and the (W) on the OG Broadway Express were a favorite of mine. The (Q) is my home line but to be honest, the waiting time on the Broadway Express is unbearable. They really need to turn more of them at 57 St during rush hours...

1) The (4)(5) are often delayed during rush hours, stopping dead multiple times, partly because of the bottlenecks at 138-GC, Rogers Junction, and Utica, as well as the combined 2-3 minute headway on both lines.

2) Yeah, and that leaves with substantially overcrowded (N) trains on the Astoria Line in the reverse peak direction. Seriously dude. 

1) The (4)(5) are often delayed during rush hours, stopping dead multiple times, partly because of the bottlenecks at 138-GC, Rogers Junction, and Utica, as well as the combined 2-3 minute headway on both lines.

I blame the moving platforms at 14th Street. After 14th Street the (4)(5) does fine. Except for the Lower Manhattan portion.

Archived