Saw an R-40 on the E

TransitGuy

Ok, first and foremost, the cars that you saw on the (E) are 4626-4627, which are R42s.

Next, Various R42s in the 4600 and 4700 series are now on the (E). The rest are on the (J) and (Z). The only R42s on the (A) are cars 4550-4615.

The R40Ms are also on the (A) with the R42s. IICR, they have 4482-4549 respectively.

R40Ms 4450-4481 are still on the (:D as well as some R40 Slants. The (:P is the only current subway line that are still running the R40 Slants. I'd expect to see the rest of the R40Ms to be transferred to the (A) at any day now as more R160s get accepted.

If you're wondrering about 4460-4665, they are on the (A).

I'm also hearing that the R40Ms and R42s will soon be seeing service on the (C) to retire the R38s. When that will happen? Probably sometime next year.

Thanks for clearing this up for us Gary. Nice to hear the (C) will be using R40Ms and R42s.

I keep wondering why for the sake of uniformity, they didn't send all the 42's to the (A) and 40m's to the (E).

I also thought they should have gotten rid of all the slants first before moving the modifieds.

And it would have been a "full circle" if they had sent the slants to the (E) instead. At the very end, they should put at least one over there, just for old time sakes.

I keep wondering why for the sake of uniformity, they didn't send all the 42's to the (A) and 40m's to the (E).

I also thought they should have gotten rid of all the slants first before moving the modifieds.

And it would have been a "full circle" if they had sent the slants to the (E) instead. At the very end, they should put at least one over there, just for old time sakes.

I agree, The (E) should get some slants one last time before they go, I would love to see a slant on the (E).

The (F) too! I believe they debuted on the (F) line and were exclusive to the (E) and the (F) for awhile. Would be cool to see the original magenta F and lighter blue E of the 60s on a slant in the transit museum one day.

Yes, slant on (E), with the brightliners to bow out.

Let all them tourists & biz 9/5ers ride them before they go swimming.

- A

No, those would go to the CI based BMT lines where they debuted and dominated for years. This is what I thought would happen, as I thought they would get rid of all the 40's and 42's first, and then the 32's would be the last "old car" that would be spread back around, including going to back to the southern div. yet again; and possibly even the east, if the service was increased and the 143's and 160's weren't enough.

Archived