Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Woodside7878

60 years of Godzilla

11/3/2014, marks the 60th anniversary of Godzilla and this topic is about your thoughts on the king of the monsters and first Godzilla film watched.

I began a fan of Godzilla when I first watched Godzilla vs. Megalon.

• Upvote 1

I've been a fan forever. Went to see the new movie at its first showing at Kaufman, and man it was a blast. I have a couple of movies on tape, from when Sci-fi (yes, not Syfy) ran those movies.

I will take any excuse to share Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Mostly now because I got to share in some twitter fun with them today

Godzilla vs Megalon

http://www.club-mst3k.com/212-godzilla-vs-megalon

Godzilla vs the sea monster

http://www.club-mst3k.com/213-godzilla-vs-the-sea-monster

Once the show ran out of cheap license Godzilla moves, they had to move onto Gamera, something they had covered in season "0", which only aired on a Minneapolis UHF station in 1988-1989.

My complaints;

Jet Jaguar is obviously based on Ultraman, right down to the color scheme. Did they think nobody would notice?

And when I found out "sea monster" turned Godzilla into a King Kong move set clone, let's just say my opinion of Zilla's movie improved dramatically.

No seriously, Toho gave King Kong electricity based powers. Monkey from an uncharted south seas island, throws around lightning. Makes perfect sense...

"Sea monster" was supposed to star Kong, but when they pulled him out for the King of Monsters, they forgot to edit the script.

Fun fact: Pharaohe Monch sampled part of the theme "Godzilla vs. Mothra" (ゴジラ対モスラ) from the 1954 Godzilla movie for "Simon Says." The sample apparently didn't clear and Monch lost a good chunk of money on it.

Back to Godzilla himself, I thought the 1998 "remake" was a joke (I liked the 2014 one better).  The fact that the monster from the '98 version ended up being renamed kind of affirms that.

Actually Godzilla is good guy, not bad guy. Godzilla usually appears when monster comes out.

If you love him as much as you say you do (though I find "because I'm Japanese" to be a inadequate reason), I would think you'd know his history better. How the plots of the first four movies can be summed up as "Giant Lizard Stomps on Tokyo", "Giant Lizard stomps on Tokyo again", "Giant lizard stomps on Tokyo and gets into a fight with a giant monkey", and "Giant lizard stomps on Tokyo and gets into a fight with overgrown bugs". 

He didn't become a hero until movie 5.